Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-12-2020, 08:04 PM
Free Member

So far, every VHS tape I have converted has had some sort of ridiculous issue where there will be what looks like a repeating line of pixels that stretch all the way from top to bottom, kind of like when you resize a JPEG image in Paint using the mouse. When I go into the capture pin, I also notice that VirtualDub keeps setting the resolution to something different other than 720x480 or 640x480.

Hardware:

MSI B450M Pro M2 Max
Honestech Vidbox (capture device)
AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB RAM

It always happens anytime I am previewing or capturing video to AVI files even after I deinterlace them, and I honestly don't know how to get rid of it at this point. Even trying different capture software is no use.

Attached Images
File Type: png 1.PNG (53.6 KB, 15 downloads)
File Type: png 2.PNG (17.9 KB, 17 downloads)
File Type: png 3.PNG (16.0 KB, 11 downloads)
File Type: png 4.PNG (9.1 KB, 12 downloads)

Last edited by danielscreed; 09-12-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-13-2020, 11:47 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
This is very likely a simple issue: Honestech Vidbox is a known bad card.

Both visual and driver-based nonsense will happen with low-quality/no-quality cards. That's what is happening here.

You just need a better card card. ATI 600 USB, clones, certain Pinnacles, etc.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-13-2020, 12:34 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
This is very likely a simple issue: Honestech Vidbox is a known bad card.

Both visual and driver-based nonsense will happen with low-quality/no-quality cards. That's what is happening here.

You just need a better card card. ATI 600 USB, clones, certain Pinnacles, etc.
I was very certain that it was the device and not my computer. Thanks for the advice, I'm no longer buying Honestech products.
09-13-2020, 02:29 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Well, it's not impossible, just improbable. The odds of it being any thing other than the capture hardware is very low.

Honestech has always been low-end. Honestech/Vidbox is just a tiny company/LLC down in Austin, with a dozen or so employees, and all of their wares are just Chinese junk that I've ever seen. They made the kind of overpriced fodder you see for $100 in Best Buy. Video hardware like this just prey on unknowing consumers, as far as I'm concerned. The same quality items are available for $5 from Aliexpress.

The cards are using all-eMPIA, or eMPIA+SAA7113. That same combo is what Easycaps use (clone 7113).

The software is a dumbed-down program that is similar to lots of other junky video capture software. Supposedly Easycap uses "old" Honestech software, but I'm dubious of the actual origin and lineage.

At worst, it's a rebadge.
At best, it's a non-rebadge that still functions the same.
Either way, it sucks.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs