Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-03-2021, 03:46 PM
Free Member

I recently bought a JVC SR-VS30EK VCR. The seller said the heads have never been cleaned, because they are still brand new and the VCR had not been used enough in over 20 years to warrant them being cleaned. Lordsmurf advised me to clean the VCR heads, before I use it, if they haven't been cleaned in over 20 years.

Since I have never cleaned a VCR, I want to be sure I have the right material and I'm following the process of cleaning the heads correctly. Here's where I need your input.

I found a how-to on the forum here in this topic. But since the process is only explained in text. I decided to look up some YouTube videos to get a visual. I think I found a tutorial, that uses the same process as described in the topic I mentioned. It's this one: https://youtu.be/5ClXrffkN3M. Does this video correctly show how to clean a VCR?

Now the model in the video isn't the same VCR as I have. But hopefully it'll work similarly. Do I have to take other things into account with my VCR model?

I'm planning on buying these items for the process of cleaning the heads:
Chamois Swabs
Isopropyl Alcohol/Isopropanol (99%)
Are these the correct items to buy?

Hope you guys can steer me into the right direction before I start cleaning. Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-08-2021, 01:47 PM
Free Member

Okay, I might have made the question too long-winded, and I'm not even sure if I put it in the right sub-forum. Let me try again:

- Is this video showing a proper way of cleaning VCR heads; https://youtu.be/5ClXrffkN3M.
- Would these products be the right products to buy for cleaning VCR heads; Chamois Swabs & Isopropyl Alcohol
- Is there anything else I need to keep in mind with my VCR model; JVC SR-VS30EK.

Hope you guys can help!