Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-22-2021, 05:20 PM
Free Member

I have been using this vcr
Is nice but i tought would be impressive as quality converting vhs to digital or dvd
Even using s-video i see in the file converted some pixels in the image
I was use elegato video capture with a panasonic dmr-ez48v or a sony slv-e7 and i can say the quality output was way more better especially on the panasonic dmr-ez48
What i miss?maybe some settings that i need to change on the nv-fs200?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-23-2021, 06:57 PM
Free Member

Do you have any examples of what you mean by "see in the file converted some pixels" ?
03-24-2021, 01:54 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
Do you have any examples of what you mean by "see in the file converted some pixels" ?
It just looks bad resolution comparing to my previous combo Panasonic dmr ez48v even using a crap video capture card as elegato the output file was very clean and good with this

But converting with the fs200. The file output shows not so good as low resolution where you can still see some pixelating picture in some points

So i guess is the vcr and not the videocard
Probably because the fs200 is old model
Or some capacitors inside are in bad conditions?
Planning to get a JV HR-s7600eu
03-24-2021, 02:04 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Samples needed.
Attach video clips.
H264 (MP4 or MKV) or MPEG is fine, no need to attach large lossless files for this.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-24-2021, 02:48 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Samples needed.
Attach video clips.
H264 (MP4 or MKV) or MPEG is fine, no need to attach large lossless files for this.
OK i attached the files so can be see the difference, ignore the fact i used the program for cut the original video
the quality is way more better in the original file from the dmr ez48 but still from these files you can see the difference

on the nv fs200 there are these disturbing points..or i dont know how they are called
and also the playback looks as low quality on the fs200 comparing to the sony slv e7 that i had time ago and that pana dmr ez48

Attached Files
File Type: mpg PANA DMREZ48.mpg (21.03 MB, 54 downloads)
File Type: mpg PANA NV FS200.mpg (23.75 MB, 63 downloads)
03-24-2021, 04:28 AM
Site Staff | Video

"disturbing points" --- Do you refer to overscan?

The video is really dark, and excessively crushed blacks/darks. Also a bit blurry/soft. I could readily tell that was an Elcrapo cards in use, that's the profile for it.

Perhaps the FS200 needs a head cleaning, but I don't really see anything going on there to warrant it. (You don't want to needlessly clean heads. And NEVER use the wrong method, wrong wipes like Q-Tips aka cotton swabs.)

BTW, Kickboxer is one of my top-50 favorite movies. I saw it in theatres way back when. It's not held up too well, but still great B-rate fun action flick. I remember how rare the DVD was about 20 years ago, hard to find the movie. I had to import a PAL DVD.

03-24-2021, 05:09 AM
Free Member

Quote:
"disturbing points" --- Do you refer to overscan?

The video is really dark, and excessively crushed blacks/darks. Also a bit blurry/soft. I could readily tell that was an Elcrapo cards in use, that's the profile for it.

Perhaps the FS200 needs a head cleaning, but I don't really see anything going on there to warrant it. (You don't want to needlessly clean heads. And NEVER use the wrong method, wrong wipes like Q-Tips aka cotton swabs.)

BTW, Kickboxer is one of my top-50 favorite movies. I saw it in theatres way back when. It's not held up too well, but still great B-rate fun action flick. I remember how rare the DVD was about 20 years ago, hard to find the movie. I had to import a PAL DVD.
Yeah overscan
I have already cleaned the heads with isopropyl alchool and paper going very carefully on it and then result are same
So for sure i need new capture video card can you suggest me one very good for windows 10 and that you can connect svideo on it?

Yeah i love kickboxer
Is my fav movie
03-24-2021, 05:36 AM
Free Member

The EZ48 seems to have slightly cleaner transitions betweeh dark/white areas, such as on the edges on the white shirts. Maybe it can be made a bit nicer on the FS200 by adjusting sharpness but idk. Sharpness can depend a bit on the tape, so I don't know if one is more correct or not for all cases.

The FS200 is a bit noisier as well, the EZ48 has digital noise reduction as part of the digital circuitry (which can be turned off) which probably has some impact here (this also works on inputs.) (The DVD-recorder part is the same as the standalone dvd-recorders, so it's basically like a vcr permanently hooked up to a panasonic dvd-recorder.)
03-26-2021, 05:03 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
The EZ48 seems to have slightly cleaner transitions betweeh dark/white areas, such as on the edges on the white shirts. Maybe it can be made a bit nicer on the FS200 by adjusting sharpness but idk. Sharpness can depend a bit on the tape, so I don't know if one is more correct or not for all cases.

The FS200 is a bit noisier as well, the EZ48 has digital noise reduction as part of the digital circuitry (which can be turned off) which probably has some impact here (this also works on inputs.) (The DVD-recorder part is the same as the standalone dvd-recorders, so it's basically like a vcr permanently hooked up to a panasonic dvd-recorder.)
I dont know but that fs200 i didnt liked it
Bad picture quality..even using svideo
I returned it to the seller
That model is very old and probably was very good in the 90’s and also early 2000
03-27-2021, 03:01 AM
Site Staff | Video

It's likely that the exact unit you're using has defective caps.

Age of the unit has nothing do with quality. Modern VCRs are all low-end Funai junk, cheaply built, signal quality is all over the place. A pro deck from JVC/Panasonic will yield superior quality. But the unit has to function properly.

03-27-2021, 03:09 AM
Free Member

Quote:
It's likely that the exact unit you're using has defective caps.

Age of the unit has nothing do with quality. Modern VCRs are all low-end Funai junk, cheaply built, signal quality is all over the place. A pro deck from JVC/Panasonic will yield superior quality. But the unit has to function properly.
Probably
You should see the quality
The normal vcr thomson looks more better lol
Anyway i return it with refund

Was planning to take the panasonic hs860eg-k
Someone here “orsetto” said that this model is very good
What you think lordsmurf?how is the quality?
03-27-2021, 05:39 AM
Free Member

Here you can see a small comparision of some PAL VCRs (incl. the Panasonic HS860) but only for the clipping of the whites during playback.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...g-capture.html