Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-12-2021, 05:46 PM
Free Member

Greetings, this is my first post on this site and I am a newbie when it comes to this topic.

I want to transfer my Hi8 tapes to my computer. Currently, I have a couple of Hi8 camcorders as well as a Sony Gv-S50 (Video Walkman). All I have as a capture device is a cheapo “easycap” usb dongle. I’ve used this to transfer my MiniDV tapes with minimal problems (I know it’s not the best choice, but it worked..). Quickly realized that I cannot simply convert my Hi8 tapes by plugging in directly to the capture device, the resulting image is catastrophic (endless distortion and dropouts).

I assume that I need to run it through a TBC and that would solve my problem. I was thinking about purchasing a DVD/VHS recorder and having a workflow like this: Hi8 camcorder or Video Walkman - DVD/VHS recorder - capture card - computer. I am just wondering - would the built in TBC work it’s magic on my video signal simply be me running through the DVD recorder external in - external output?

The DVD recorder that I have found being sold locally is a Panasonic DMR-E150V, it seems as though all results that come up from a google search are in Japanese. I have translated and the list of specs say it has “3D digital Y / C separation, external input TBC”.

If anyone could let me know if I have the right idea and if this would work, I would really appreciate it!

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 00644E55-D152-4106-8230-B814F13C9B95.jpeg (38.8 KB, 6 downloads)
File Type: jpg 8FCE837E-29E5-43C0-B473-C4C00DCD1CD7.jpg (69.1 KB, 5 downloads)
File Type: jpg 897017D6-7128-4D3C-A229-9FEEEE0C58F0.jpg (28.8 KB, 5 downloads)
File Type: jpg D881B1DE-883E-457D-BD36-4B1DD78A839E.jpg (36.4 KB, 6 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-12-2021, 06:41 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorrowneverknows View Post
I am just wondering - would the built in TBC work it’s magic on my video signal simply be me running through the DVD recorder external in - external output?
All DVD-recorders I've seen work like that yeah, the analog inputs are sent through the internal digitizing circuitry before being output, though far from all models of dvd-recorders have hardware that can do a good job at stabilizing the unstable input from a vcr/camcorder (though nearly do a better job than most usb dongles).

This seems to be one of the older panasonic models (older than the oft-used DMR-ES10). These specific ones with VHS, DVD, AND HDD are quite rare and typically go for quite a lot, while standalone dvd-recorders are much more common and relatively cheap. I haven't seen anything about the old combo ones like this or the E70V, though they use similar hardware to the standalone variants of the day. The footage I've seen from the older standalone panasonics does indicate that they are capable of stabilizing video to a fair degree so it will most likely be a large improvement. How exactly they compare on very bad material I don't know though. This looks like a fairly high-end japan-only model so there may also be some differences between it and the US/EUrope ones people on here have tested.

Last edited by hodgey; 06-12-2021 at 06:54 PM.
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: tomorrowneverknows (06-12-2021)
06-12-2021, 07:04 PM
Free Member

Thanks a lot for the response. I live in a third world country, and I just found a lady selling this second hand for the equivalent of $18. She says it's in good working condition. I figured that I could take the risk, as I am also looking for VHS player anyway. Really hoping that it works for the purpose that I hope to use it for though. I have been looking for an ES10 but have had no luck. Also have been looking for any standalone TBC but also no luck so far. Thanks again, I think your response is enough to get me off of the fence and just make the purchase. Will post an update.
06-12-2021, 07:43 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
That's just another random DVD recorder, not a unit known for the rare passthrough TBC(ish) ability.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: tomorrowneverknows (06-12-2021)
06-12-2021, 07:51 PM
Free Member

Thanks for your response. And I see. So in your opinion, it would be unlikely that it would have the passthrough ability that I'm looking for? One of my attached photos is a part of the list of specs that states that it has “3D digital Y / C separation, external input TBC", which is what lead me to assume that it might work.
06-12-2021, 08:18 PM
Free Member

Have you tried passing the video through your Video Walkman? My Sony MiniDV camcorder can function as a video capture device, so maybe passthrough also works.
06-12-2021, 08:51 PM
Free Member

Yes, I have. It didn't make a difference, the output was still terrible. And I guess it's also worth noting that I think the tapes are fine, pretty much crystal clear video on the camcorder screen and when I plug it to a TV. I really only get the issue when plugging it directly to my capture card, which I am only now learning that is to be expected with Video 8/ Hi8.
06-12-2021, 08:56 PM
Free Member

Would a Sony RDR-HXD990 be able to do the job? Just found a local listing for one. I read an old thread where hodgey mentioned that these might not be capable, but I’m just curious to know if that’s really turned out to be so or if they can actually be used for this. Thanks again.
06-12-2021, 09:07 PM
Free Member

also just found an RDR HX730
06-12-2021, 09:19 PM
Free Member

Info on the HXD 870 and 890:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...er-passthrough

Sony HXD-870:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMA5aH_olAQ
06-12-2021, 10:46 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
That Youtube video still shows a lot of timing errors leaking though on the "with TBC" video, but it is obviously better than no TBC. But it's not what I'd want to do.

In fact, we're not even sure that video is accurate.
Read what Brad/msgohan wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
He also changed VCRs between the two workflows. Without context from the comments section, the video itself implies that the Sony 870 could somehow magically turn a blue-screen squelch into partial video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'hsel' YouTube comment
SHARP VC-M430, but for me SHARP has problem with showing blue screen when bad signal detected. Now I'm using middle class quality Panasonic NV-SJ412 and it has better signal detection and show every signal (even no video and some sound).
Forum member "Bogelein" has written about certain Sony models for passthrough potential in PAL, so find those posts by him, read those.

Better? Maybe, probably?
Good, ideal? Probably not, based on submitted samples.

If it were cheap, $18 cheap, I'd buy it without flinching. But I guess it depends on your budget, return policy, etc. (To me, anything under $50 is fair gambling funds for video research. Usually lose, sometimes win. Not much different from lottery scratchers.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: BarryTheCrab (06-25-2021)
06-13-2021, 02:14 AM
Free Member

Sony-990 (2008)yes.
Sony-730 (2006) I don't think so.
But how good it is depends on the condition of your video material and there are several factors that play a role.
It also depends on the price. I wouldn't spend more than 30 euros on it. But I wouldn't spend more for one of the recommended Panasonic recorders either.
If nothing else is available, it's still better than connecting directly to the capture card.
06-25-2021, 01:50 PM
Free Member

UPDATE

I ended up getting the Sony RDR HX730, and passing through it has been working great. Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. Next step is to ditch the terrible easycap capture card!