Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-30-2021, 05:47 PM
Free Member

Hi.

I have a refurbished VCR that just arrived from Europe a few days ago.

It has worked great for a few days, but then this weird thing started happening:

When I eject the tape, a motor continues running after the tape is out (it sounds as if some part gets stuck), and eventually the door opens and stays open. If I try to insert another tape, there is strong resistance, and I have to push hard to get the tape back in. I'm sure it's not healthy for the VCR to do this, but I need to go through these tapes. I think the ejection process completes but then rewinds partially and is stuck somewhere between tape in and tape out - after the tape is out.

It started happening only once in a while, but now it happens on every tape.

I already tried emailing the vendor (vcrshop.nl), but they have not replied in the last 3 days. I cannot open the VCR without violating their warranty.

Does anyone know if there is some part that I can move manually through the door to reset the ejection process? I think my brother had a trick for a similar situation for a different VCR 30 years ago.

Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-31-2021, 02:38 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Hmm.... 9700.... that sounds like a DD issue (dynamic drum). It may have been dislodged in shipping.

VCRshop will reply, just give them time. It is holiday time, after all, including family time.

Don't try to do anything through the door. Just wait for their reply.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-31-2021, 11:57 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the reply.

I just did receive their reply this morning, and looks like I'll have to ship it back to get fixed... From the US to NL will probably mean that I won't have the VCR for about a month unless I use DHL which is fast but expensive.

I'll have to look at the options.

Thanks for confirming that there is no easy workaround for me.