Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-05-2022, 10:35 PM
Free Member

Greetings:
Hope it is ok to post this here, as the caliber is way out of my league!
And, I KNOW I am late to the game on this--but life got in the way....please have mercy
I have about 25 home videos that I want to transfer to DVD for myself; w/ copies made for family members as well.
Was searching for a VHS/DVD Combo unit, but now unsure about them.
Whatever I do, want to do it correctly and with the best result.
So, opinions very welcome.
Trish
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-06-2022, 01:47 PM
Free Member

DVD does not give the best result, it is one of the worst formats you would transfer VHS to, But the ease of use makes it problem free. Depends where you live, obtaining a combo unit is not that hard to aqcuire generally.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
03-06-2022, 02:32 PM
Free Member

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply
I noted on this website the option to transfer using a separate VCR and DVD recorder.
Does this method also render a less than desirable end result?
03-06-2022, 02:44 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
This fully depends on the quality of the items used, namely the ability to remove inherent tapes flaws like chroma noise, and suppress other noises like grain. Those noises quickly degrade quality, when not removed. Most DVD recorders were made to timeshift/record TV (antenna/cable), not VHS.

The main recorders known for quality, for VHS conversions, are LSI Logic chipset units, especially early JVCs.

Combo units are always lousy. You need a better VCR (ideally S-VHS with line TBC), with some sort of TBC (ideally actual TBC, not just TBC'ish like ES10/15), then feed the recorder the VHS signal. That results in quite decent DVDs.

So VCR > TBC/TBC(ish) > JVC LSI DVD recorder

But honestly, in the 2020s, with everybody having large HDTVs, DVD is lacking. DVDs were made for the CRT era, 90s-00s, passably decent on earlier HDTVs. The DVDs can be double filtered on most sets, remove the major warts of the DVD format, but the underlying quality just isn't there. Even I don't really make DVDs anymore, everything is now lossless, or using broadcast depth MPEG-2 @ 420 or 422.

It's late, but not too late. You're fine. Just get quality gear for the transfer, don't do a butcher job. And buy it, use it, resell it, don't get too hung up on the costs of good gear.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-06-2022, 11:59 PM
Free Member

I am so honored for a reply from "the Lord" himself
I do have some additional questions for going forward in this different direction.
We do have VHS here--a Panasonic PV7451--is this in line of what you suggest?
Also, in looking for used equipment, should it be "refurbished"?
I read that DVDs have use by dates? Do they also diminish in quality with time?
What type DVD would I use?
I'm glad I just made the dock for that last boat--lol.
And, I appreciate your taking the time to help, as well as your encouragement.
It feels daunting, but I am determined!
My biggest fear is erasing the VHS by mistake...
03-07-2022, 01:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
My biggest fear is erasing the VHS by mistake...
There is a physical protection for this. A plastic tab you can remove. This is will prevent you from recording over the tape.
03-07-2022, 10:41 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

The main recorders known for quality, for VHS conversions, are LSI Logic chipset units, especially early JVCs.

So VCR > TBC/TBC(ish) > JVC LSI DVD recorder
The much acclaimed JVC DR-MH... from JVC have a problem with the AGC control. When they get video content that is overexposed, they pull it into the valid range but the AGC control works too slowly and you notice it. Use a Sony or Pioneer DVD recorder from 2007. This is much more disturbing than the chroma noise.
03-07-2022, 01:24 PM
Free Member

Thank you! I appreciate it--knowledge is power, amirite?
Will look for the safety tab and also those Pioneer/Sony units....