Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-27-2022, 12:16 AM
Free Member

Like many, I've inherited family videos to turn into watchable movies for the family. I will need to use the Mac which I am familiar with.

So far, I've been working through 1990-2005 VHS, and VHS-C tapes. My flow has been to use my VHS player > Elgato video capture with composite cables, since my player has no s-video port > iMovie for editing. I'm wondering if this is a good way to go. I'm willing to start over if it will improve the quality of the finished product.

Now I'm tackling a stack of 8mm tapes that were recorded on a Sony camcorder. The tapes say they are capable of Hi8 and Digital 8. I'm looking to purchase a Sony camcorder that can get a good capture of all 8mm formats. The more I read, the more I don't know which models would serve me best. Timebase correction? S-video? Most lossless method?

The more I read, the more I'm uncertain that I'm on the right track. So, I need some advice, if you have the time....
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

Tags
8mm