Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-01-2023, 11:50 AM
Free Member

Hello forum! Just added to my workflow this Frame TBC and I'm getting some dropped frames every 10/20/30 minutes...

When I captured without the Frame TBC, I didn't have any dropped frrames, but now I have.

VHS Tape > JVC HR-S7722EU > Green AV Toolbox AVT-8710 > ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB > Windows XP > VirtualDub 1.9.11 > .avi (HuffYUV)

This is my timing settings:

09 - Timing.PNG

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-01-2023, 05:34 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Uncheck "use audio time stamps"
Check "disable time stamps"

To other future readers: This advice is for the actual ATO 600 USB card only (not clones), using XP
In general, do not do this.

Also check the main capture window settings, lower right, PAL = 25 fps, audio 48 kHz

Regarding the TBC, the green AVT-8710 had early/mid/late generations. Almost all are early gen, with very few mid and late, before production ceased in 2008. The mid can act screwy, and the late more screwy (shares a few components with the black units). The late are likely AVT/Cypress factory refurbs with parts swapped. Shady eBay sellers have also been swapping black boards into green cases for several years now, so beware.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-02-2023, 01:09 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Uncheck "use audio time stamps"
Check "disable time stamps"

To other future readers: This advice is for the actual ATO 600 USB card only (not clones), using XP
In general, do not do this.

Also check the main capture window settings, lower right, PAL = 25 fps, audio 48 kHz

Regarding the TBC, the green AVT-8710 had early/mid/late generations. Almost all are early gen, with very few mid and late, before production ceased in 2008. The mid can act screwy, and the late more screwy (shares a few components with the black units). The late are likely AVT/Cypress factory refurbs with parts swapped. Shady eBay sellers have also been swapping black boards into green cases for several years now, so beware.
Thanks lordsmurf, I will try now.

In timing settings, what is best? Automatic o Fixed in audio latency determination?

This is my Green AVT-8710 board, it's all correct?

IMG_7366.jpg
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

IMG_7367.jpg
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

IMG_7368.jpg

08-02-2023, 04:15 AM
Free Member

I'm an electronics technician. I'm not saying this is causing the specific problem you mentioned but over time the circled SMD capacitors commonly weaken and then fail, not only in this device but in all sorts of modern electronic devices. It might be worth asking a competent electronics tech to quickly test the SMD caps with a suitable ESR meter. It should take them only a few minutes.

Some of these TBC's can also temporarily let go due to the device getting too hot especially if in a hottish environment. With my blue colored model I drilled more ventilation holes which seems to have helped keep things cooler.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Green AVT....jpg (85.0 KB, 13 downloads)
08-02-2023, 07:55 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtape View Post
I'm an electronics technician. I'm not saying this is causing the specific problem you mentioned but over time the circled SMD capacitors commonly weaken and then fail, not only in this device but in all sorts of modern electronic devices. It might be worth asking a competent electronics tech to quickly test the SMD caps with a suitable ESR meter. It should take them only a few minutes.

Some of these TBC's can also temporarily let go due to the device getting too hot especially if in a hottish environment. With my blue colored model I drilled more ventilation holes which seems to have helped keep things cooler.
When I change the timing settings I get 0 dropped frames but A/V isn't sync. So it can be the capacitors?
08-02-2023, 08:04 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
What happens when you capture without audio preview? Is captured audio still out of sync?

Are you monitoring drops?
When does it happen?
In bursts, or a steady drop, maybe even at an interval?

Your green unit looks fine, I like what I see. It's probably functioning fine too. Just give it "off time" every 6 hours or less. Don't push it, overheat. That's when things go sideways with these.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-02-2023, 08:38 AM
Free Member

Quote:
What happens when you capture without audio preview? Is captured audio still out of sync?

When does it happen?

Your green unit looks fine, I like what I see. It's probably functioning fine too. Just give it "off time" every 6 hours or less. Don't push it, overheat. That's when things go sideways with these.
Audio preview you mean audio playback on?

Yes, I'm monitoring the drops.
Normal I see the video but nothing special happens.
08-02-2023, 09:29 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhAoS182 View Post
When I change the timing settings I get 0 dropped frames but A/V isn't sync. So it can be the capacitors?
I don't know. Again these capacitors commonly fail, leading to various problems, not just one, as each capacitor has a different task in the circuit and having them checked regardless is a no brainer in my experience. My own unit started playing up a few years ago. Only one or two capacitors measured below spec, the others fine. I replaced only those two and it fixed the problem. But I expect the others will follow and fail sooner or later. Note that a cap can fail with little or no visible indication.
08-02-2023, 09:32 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtape View Post
I don't know. Again these capacitors commonly fail, leading to various problems, not just one, as each capacitor has a different task in the circuit and having them checked regardless is a no brainer in my experience. My own unit started playing up a few years ago. Only one or two capacitors measured below spec, the others fine. I replaced only those two and it fixed the problem. But I expect the others will follow and fail sooner or later. Note that a cap can fail with little or no visible indication.
What problem you had with your Green AVT?
08-02-2023, 10:02 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhAoS182 View Post
What problem you had with your Green AVT?
It's blue. I don't remember. I didn't consider it important that I remember the particular picture problem. Replacing the measured faulty cap(s) fixed the problem whatever it was which is all I cared about. I knew that each cap has a vital role to play in the function ing if the TBC. I didn't need to understand exactly what role each cap played. It was now working again like new. Hope this helps.
08-03-2023, 03:52 PM
Free Member

@lordsmurf I tried a lot of settings in timing but nothing...
08-03-2023, 03:53 PM
Free Member

Quote:

When does it happen?

I tried a lot of setting in timing but nothing
08-08-2023, 04:44 AM
Premium Member

There is one setting that helps a lot with dropped frames in my case,

In the capture mode, capture > Disk I/O and I always need to increase the default values.

I use something like Chunk size 8MB, and and chunks in buffer 20 or 32. Without this I usually drop frames with any card ATI, Hauppauge, pinnacle (the rate of frames dropped vary from a card to another), regardless of tbc existence in the chain.

Doing what I suggested solves the issue for all my cards.
08-08-2023, 09:35 AM
Free Member

Try another capture software just to see if you have a bad hardware or just software settings.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
08-08-2023, 12:08 PM
Free Member

I recently noticed that capturing a laserdisc takes more CPU than capturing a VHS tape. I wonder if adding in the TBC increased the burden on your CPU just enough to cause a frame to drop every now and then.
08-08-2023, 02:09 PM
Free Member

TBC adds no extra data for the CPU to be burdened, Same frame rate, same video data, same audio.

08-08-2023, 03:07 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
TBC adds no extra data...same video data...
My TBC visibly changes the video data.
08-08-2023, 03:26 PM
Free Member

Unless the proc amp is altered or its components aged, it should be transparent. But that has no effect on the CPU.

08-08-2023, 03:47 PM
Free Member

If we were talking about capturing to an uncompressed format then I would agree, but HuffYUV's compression efficiency is based on content so at least the I/O load is variable, and I think it's likely that the CPU load is also variable.
08-08-2023, 03:59 PM
Free Member

I tried all, not success for now