Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-30-2024, 06:18 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
These posts has been moved over from another thread. This post has been back-dated to appear first in this thread.

It was off-topic, and really sort of crapping on the person's request for advice, sidetracking the topic.

The person was already having a somewhat difficult time ... and then this was interjected. The advice was to use RF/FM/vhs-decode methods, to make it more complicated?! Ridiculous.

I do appreciate that DoaJC_Blogger was trying to offer help -- but no, that was the wrong time and place entirely for that.

The obviously-older person was attempting to achieve certain results, mostly while still using DVD recorders. He/she needs lots of help, and I plan to give it. All while trying to "stay in a lane" of budget expectations, and difficulty expectations.

I'm not really addressing DoaJC_Blogger here, with this comment...

But the vhs-decode fans just do not seem to understand that most people don't want to screw around with complex methods, mostly in the interest of being cheap, mostly only with small % gains in quality (as compared to suggested methods -- not use cheap garbage VCRs, no TBCs, composite, Easycaps/Elgatos, etc). As I said in that thread, now in a post here, it's really a "GTFOOOH" moment for most people.

Contrary to what some FM/RF fans think, there are already ways to be budget minded (or even a total cheapskate), without having to over-complicate video conversion even more than it already is. And in that thread, I'll surely be suggesting some. I want him/her to have a good capture experience. It's already taken that person far too long.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-31-2024, 06:26 PM
Free Member

This sounds like some of the threads that I've been replying to on Reddit. I saw that you wrote
Quote:
One thing that I continue to do is eagerly pursue a fully functional SVHS VCR
and I just wanted to point out that you can use RF capture to get very good digital S-Video from cheap regular VCR's such as late 90's Sony ones (what I currently use because they have a very strong signal) or those VCR/DVD player combos from the 2000's (such as the Philips DVP3345V).

Just to be fair and honest, there are currently a few issues with ringing but it still looks WAY better than a composite capture. Here is a comparison video. As long as YouTube hasn't mysteriously disabled the comments again, you can see that lordsmurf commented and said that conventional capture with S-Video would be just as clear without the ringing so you should still consider doing it his way. With RF, you record the raw signal from the tape and do all of the processing in software so I suspect that it has something to do with de-emphasis. Anyway, all I'm suggesting is that RF capture is cheaper and you can record the tapes now as lossless RF files and with future vhs-decode updates, it has the potential to be fully comparable to conventional capture.

I've been doing VHS-to-digital transfers since 2006 so I know that lordsmurf's method is good and you should absolutely use it if you're not comfortable with advanced topics like RF, SDR's, and connecting wires to your VCR's circuit board. I just want people to be aware of all the options in case they can't afford to do it his way. If you can't afford to buy a full-frame TBC and an S-VHS VCR, your next choice should be RF capture, not a crappy composite capture. I know he says "Buy, use, resell" but not everyone can put that much money on a credit card even temporarily, and eventually there won't be any more tapes to record and someone is going to have expensive equipment that they can't sell. Of course, you could say the same thing about RF but that equipment is cheaper (ranging from about $30 to $500 USD) and usable for other projects.
01-31-2024, 07:33 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoaJC_Blogger View Post
I just wanted to point out that you can use RF capture to get very good digital S-Video from cheap regular VCR's
This is extremely misleading.

- RF/FM/vhs-decode also requires specific VCRs to get proper performance. Random VCRs do not work here either.
- Then the person has to essentially dismantle the VCR.
- Then capture a large file (larger that lossless Huffyuv/Lagarith/etc), using specific capture cards (even more specific that normal capture card choices). But that file is just raw data, not even a video.
- Then process that non-video file into something resembling video. But processing step is very alpha/beta grade, and almost always requires manual tweaking.

The entire process requires knowledge of Linux and scripting.

Quote:
Just to be fair and honest, there are currently a few issues with ringing but it still looks WAY better than a composite capture.
From what I have seen, it's not a few. It's still very inferior to s-video from recommended JVC/Panasonic S-VHS VCRs.

Quote:
As long as YouTube hasn't mysteriously disabled the comments again,
Youtube generally doesn't disable comments, the Youtuber does. And he did. Why? I can only guess he doesn't want his sample to be questioned. This vhs-decode project has far too many thin-skinned users, and it turns off most of us in the actual capture/archive community. Too much BS, defensiveness, and whining -- not enough actual results using the tool.

Though I am aware that Youtube sometimes randomly disables comments on video that it thinks "contains kids", and so slight chance that is the case here. Not likely, but not impossible.

Quote:
Anyway, all I'm suggesting is that RF capture is cheaper
That's always the draw to some: cheap.
- Not quality, but cheap.
- Not concerned about the amount of time, but cheap.
- And yet, it does require extra drive space, so it's not that cheap after all.

If you want cheap, get the JVC non-TBC S-VHS VCRs, the ~$150 ES15, and one of those meme-like capture capture cards (GV-USB2, Hauppauge Live2, few others) for $50. The vhs-decode project also requires a VCR, and a capture card, so the only real difference is the ES15 for $150. But that vhs-decode requires extra HDD space for at least $100.

So your savings is literally $0, £0, 0€.

You get what you pay for.

Quote:
If you can't afford to buy a full-frame TBC and an S-VHS VCR ....not a crappy composite capture.
Correct.

Quote:
I know he says "Buy, use, resell" but not everyone can put that much money on a credit card even temporarily, and eventually there won't be any more tapes to record and someone is going to have expensive equipment that they can't sell.
No. In the realm of "gear musical chairs", organizations will be the long-term holders of the gear. A primary reason much of this gear is now missing from the public is because organizations are hoarding it, as inventory and backups for long-term projects.

And that endgame won't be at least for another decade, or more.

Quote:
I've been doing VHS-to-digital transfers since 2006 so I know that lordsmurf's method is good and you should absolutely use it if you're not comfortable with advanced topics like RF, SDR's, and connecting wires to your VCR's circuit board. I just want people to be aware of all the options in case they can't afford to do it his way.
Now then, all of the above said...

I can appreciate tinkerers. We all tinker with something.

vhs-decode is really nothing more than a model rocket. Or that old car in the garage, or under the shade tree in the back yard.

It's not best, and it has issues. It's certainly not for everyone, and in fact is for almost no one.

I wasted countless hours in the 90s, dabbling in Linux. Back when Linus was not too hard to run down for a chat (IRC), when the internet was smaller, and friendlier. In hindsight, that was really stupid for me to do, I could have put my time to better use. But when you're young (kid or adult), time is something you have in excess, and think nothing of wasting it. I still remember the first time I successfully installed it, having just come home from a party, with too many beers in me.

So if you enjoy vhs-decode, just admit (to yourself, to others) that it's for the fun of the tinker. It's not really about the video, or video quality, but rather doing it different, the thrill of being part of a "special club" of users. And if it ever does get any % of mainstream adoption, it becomes uncool/lame, and the tinkerers all go away. This is how it always works, with any clique niche.

I see paths for vhs-decode to see wider adoption in the 2030s, but cheapness is a headwind, not a tailwind. So are some of the more mouthy users, it holds the project back.

For now, enjoy your model rocket. Make a club, invite users. But don't tell them someday it'll take them to space. Nothing that you're not doing that here, you seem far more grounded that the average "club member".

If my AG-1970 worked, I'd tinker with RF/FM/vhs-decode too! Not for seriousy conversion work, but for play.

01-31-2024, 08:08 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Then the person has to essentially dismantle the VCR
I covered this when I said "connecting wires to your VCR's circuit board".

Quote:
Youtube doesn't disable comments, the Youtuber does. And he did.
I just checked and they're disabled again. That's insane because I re-enabled them earlier today and I keep doing that. I honestly don't know what's happening. It's not like it's a cartoon or meant for kids at all. I just re-enabled them again.

Quote:
The entire process requires knowledge of Linux and scripting.
Actually, at least if you use the Domesday Duplicator, the whole process officially supports Windows. I even got Hi-Fi audio decoding to work on Windows before it was officially supported and used intermediate TBC files when piping only worked on Linux but there are precompiled Windows binaries for all of the steps now so it's fast and easy to go from LDS/FLAC to TBC to FFV1.

Quote:
not enough actual results using the tool
I found this page of comparison screenshots earlier. I was surprised to find out that 9 out of the 13 of them came from me.

Quote:
And yet, it does require extra drive space
You're right. For the sake of the OP, I should mention that RF recordings from the Domesday Duplicator (40 megasamples/second at 10 bits/sample) with an average absolute amplitude of 0.5 require about 80 GiB/hour with the highest FLAC compression (using "--lax -11Vepl32"). I was assuming that someone who wants to capture as lossless would have enough space for that.
01-31-2024, 08:22 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoaJC_Blogger View Post
I I just checked and they're disabled again. That's insane because I re-enabled them earlier today and I keep doing that. I honestly don't know what's happening. It's not like it's a cartoon or meant for kids at all. I just re-enabled them again.
Alright, so you're the Youtuber.

I actually just got done editing my previous post. There are apparently instances where Youtube algorithms disable comments on video that it thinks "contains kids", likely only amateur footage. There has to be a fingerprint, but nobody seems to know what it is exactly.

It's really silly, because you could post a VHS-sourced commercial from Mikey (the old cereal commercial), it it may flag it as "kids". After today's fiasco on Capitol Hill, haphazard stuff like this will only get worse. "It's for the children!" (BS)

Quote:
I was assuming that someone who wants to capture as lossless would have enough space for that.
No, only a tiny % of people have more than 1tb of space, if even that much. Simply convincing a person that lossless is what they need for quality, not some crappy MP4 barfed out from an Elgato/etc, can be a chore. But to tell them they'll need almost 100gb for a file, and it's not even yet a viewable file, is really a "GTFOOH" moment for them.

I have probably 50tb of space, mostly SSD, and even I'm reluctant to cram it full of raw data files, or buy slow HDDs to offload it to.

But again, I would, at least for a few tapes, just for the thrill of the tinker, for what (if any) extra tiny % of quality may be lingering on some rare tapes. But certainly not for all tapes, or most tapes. It's just not feasible.

The time loss outweighs any expense, because time is money. Not even for business, but think of it this way: how much $ would pay to have an extra hour with your kids/grandkids, or your parents/grandparents, or going fishing, or whatever? Do you really want to have screen time for fun? Sure, most people enjoy tinkering, but it can quickly become a chore.

02-01-2024, 08:51 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I have probably 50tb of space, mostly SSD
That's a lot of SSD storage. I have about 46 TB of magnetic hard drives currently in use and 720 GB of SSD's.
Closed Thread