Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-05-2019, 05:45 PM
Free Member

Using VirtualDub have capture audio check marked. no sound when check "audio playback"... well if pc side is right then must be the capture card having issues. ATI AIW USB 2.0on I thought they were the best and easiest to setup.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-05-2019, 06:09 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
You really need to give ATI MMC a test, because it has audio better integrated.

And then are you sure the computer has audio at all? Have you tried playing some MP3 music? Use VLC, or even Windows Media Player should be fine to test audio.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-05-2019, 06:24 PM
Free Member

tested audio playback on mp3 file they play sound... I am posting VirtualDub log...thier is an error in the log...maybe that's the culprit.
will test ATI MMC...

Update: test ATI MMC...video plays but no sound...captured video file playback with ati player gives black screen.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg VDub-Log.JPG (20.7 KB, 3 downloads)

Last edited by priya69; 07-05-2019 at 06:46 PM.
07-05-2019, 06:47 PM
Free Member

matching my test computer to yours to troubleshoot.. or get accurate instructions (if any) for MMC or VD

i am still on XPSP1 and have MMC 9.02 from the original cdrom install installed

i presume you are still using VirtualDub 1.9.11 ?
07-05-2019, 06:52 PM
Free Member

yes using VirtualDub 1.9.11

installed ATI MMC software that came with CD...180-V011089-100 that's the numbers i see on cd...so have no clue what version it is.
07-05-2019, 06:58 PM
Free Member

ok LordSmurf is correct ATI MMC appears to work, both sound and video

but VirtualDub 1.9.11 on my test pc works until I try to enable audio capture, then VirtualDub 1.9.11 dumps a kernel fault.. i think there is something not right about that particular release of virtualdub

let me check a few other versions of VirtaulDub and I will get back to you.. to restate: confirm this version of VirtualDub does not capture audio with this device
07-05-2019, 07:03 PM
Free Member

Yes, VirtualDub does not capture audio...
My test on ATI MMC still did not produce audio, only video.
Going to try on My old laptop running windows XP sp3...can we also test this on Windows 10...
07-05-2019, 07:05 PM
Free Member

Duh!

Figured it out.. too many choices

-- merged --

Ok 1.9.11 and 1.10.0 both work on XPSP1 no problem, captures sound and video

Basically the "fix" was don't touch anything only enable playback.. it was already capturing all along it needs you to "not" mess with its settings.

I'll elaborate in just a minute.. beautiful all the controls are enabled though, all those twisty knobs work.. and can work against you..

Ok in VirtualDub 1.9.11 (or 1.10.11)

1. make sure the video capture is working properly, clicking on as few controls as possible (one problem at a time here)

you may have video right away on switching from Edit mode to Capture mode, or you may get a blank screen

if you get a blank screen, your video card doesn't support Overlay mode, so you have to go to the Video (menu) and click on "Preview" then the video should appear.. no sound yet

then go to the Audio (menu) and click on [ Enable audio playback ] and nothing else, leave the selected device for audio capture alone, it should be at the bottom and say "Capture device" (do not select "ATI AUDIO TV WONDER USB2.0 Video Audio" if you do that will disable sound.. there is a reason for this.. its not obvious)

you should be able to hear audio now, but like LordSmurf mentioned, you usually do not want to capture with it playing the audio back.. this is only for pre-capture audio level settings

2. if you still cannot hear anything, go back to the Audio (menu) and select [ Volume meter ] this will pop open a set of bar graphs below the video, they will move even if the audio is very very low.. and that would indicate you should turn up your headphone, speaker or overall volume from the windows mixer.

3. if everything is working, you have to remember to do these steps the next time you open VirtualDub... "unless" you "Save the Settings". if you don't save the settings it will revert to the original state with each restart of VirtualDub. its easy to forget there is more to do after starting VirtualDub because it starts in "Edit mode" and you sit there thinking why is nothing happening? then you recall (oh! I have to go File > Capture AVI to get into "Capture mode") and by then you've also forgot you need to set the (Video to > Preview) and turn on (Audio to > Enable audio playback) but if you have the settings saved.. then VirtualDub will use those for its startup defaults and all you have to recall is to go from Edit mode to Capture mode and it all starts as expected.

ATI MMC TV tuner application, can be easier because it defaults to the Analog tuner and immediately throws static on the screen and blurts out audio.. then you click the Coax connector icon to switch over to Composite or S-Video input.. its a few less steps and you get positive feedback right away.. VirtualDub is more delayed gratification
The following users thank jwillis84 for this useful post: ThumperStrauss (03-26-2022)
07-05-2019, 07:27 PM
Free Member

Ok I don't have this feature ATI AUDIO TV WONDER USB2.0 Video Audio under audio capture device...will post an image from VirtualDub
when selecting volume meter it shows nothing

Crossing my fingers that the card has not gone bad.

Images attached

Will private message Lordsmurf...i think the card has audio issues...tried on a laptop running windows Xp sp3... same no audio.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg VirtualDub-Audio-Settiings.jpg (60.3 KB, 6 downloads)
File Type: jpg VirtualDub-Device-Settiings.jpg (59.7 KB, 7 downloads)

Last edited by priya69; 07-05-2019 at 08:04 PM.
07-05-2019, 08:05 PM
Free Member

Huh..

That's not right.

the Audio driver isn't being detected

1. screen snap the Device Manager "again"
2. right click on the [ ATI TV WONDER USB2.0 Video & Audio ] then properties > driver (tab)

it should display the driver "version"

It should say:

ATI
8/19/2004

If it says anything else please report it, (also) please tell me if this is XPSP1 or your on XPSP2 (I need to know for sure, there is a trick to get XPSP2 to work.. but I don't want to distract you unless its necessary)

While you are at it, after collecting the above. Close VirtualDub Unplug the power to to the ATI TV WONDER USB2.0N and then plug it back in and try again.. that may be a fix.. but not the one I'm thinking about.. we're just collecting information and trying to work the problem for the moment. I feel its very close.
07-05-2019, 08:13 PM
Free Member

man, i hope we are close...my wife starting to think I am going crazy...with all the swearing lol

Running SP2

Looks like I have a newer driver than what you posted...maybe I need the right software.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATI-driver tab.jpg (64.3 KB, 6 downloads)
07-05-2019, 08:19 PM
Free Member

Yep

I think I know what's going on.

I'll tell you and then upgrade to XPSP2 myself to verify the problem.

It looks like Microsoft "rolled" you forward to the broken ATI driver they included with XPSP2.

ATI gave it to Microsoft before it was ready and Microsoft bundled it into the XPSP2 release.

Because it came with the XPSP2 release, they gave it "priority" over the driver that you installed.. and hid the working driver. the fix is to override Microsoft and tell it to use the newer/working/fixed driver that is hidden instead of the one they bundled with the XPSP2 release.

I want to 100 percent confirm how to do that before I tell you to Rollback the driver, because the order in which you do things may be a bit sensitive..

So first I need to apply SP2 and then verify the version it overwrites my device with, test the Rollback of the driver and convey the instructions to you.

I have done this before several times for myself when using XPSP2 but havent' really documented it for anyone else.. just more or less blogged about it in these forums.
07-05-2019, 08:22 PM
Free Member

sounds good will wait for your instructions...worse case maybe I install SP1 and try if all fails at the end...lol...really appreciate you helping me out...
07-05-2019, 08:46 PM
Free Member

Nope

I tried applying the SP2 update to XPSP1 install and it "left the old driver alone" it didn't even install the newer 2015 driver bundled with SP2.. so that is one scenario in which it doesn't work.

I would say try pressing the [Roll back driver update] button and "see" if it says:

No driver files have been backed up for this device.

If it says that then there was never an older driver version installed on your system to conflict with.

If it does not say that, then I would say continue with the driver "Roll back" and see if that fixes the problem.

The alternative is maybe you need the driver that I have to work with your device.

I don't know where you got your device driver, there are places to download drivers, or you could have received a CDROM with you device. I have several of these and always got an original CDROM with them, never a different version of the CDROM so I don't think they ever had a different release.

I can try a full XP with SP2 already slip streamed install and see if having the older driver already installed and active is blocking the errant update to the bundled driver.. but otherwise I don't know how to get the device driver that you have to test out the problem.

If you have the time, tell me where you got the installer for the device driver for your unit.

That will help me reproduce your problem more accurately.

I can also make a copy of the CDROM that I have and upload a copy as an .iso file that you can download.

The specific CDROM version that I have, and that came with several of these is: 180-V01089-100

Attached Files
File Type: rar 180_V01089_100.part1.rar (99.00 MB, 15 downloads)
File Type: rar 180_V01089_100.part2.rar (99.00 MB, 13 downloads)
File Type: rar 180_V01089_100.part3.rar (45.02 MB, 20 downloads)
07-05-2019, 08:50 PM
Free Member

ok, will get back to you...going out for dinner. cd did come with the card...but my pc doesn't have cd player...so I downloaded ati software iso off the net...maybe that's where my issue is.
tomorrow will find my USB cd player I have somewhere in the house and use the original software cd that came with the card...really hope that's all it was. Will tackle this tomorrow...Have great nite and again thanks.
07-05-2019, 08:55 PM
Free Member

Sounds okay to me.

-- merged --

I'll do some research and see if I can find that driver version that seems to be causing you problems.

I just did a complete XPSP0 then +SP2 install.

I corrected my video controller driver problem, and made sure a yellow cone warning about a USB port was fixed before I began installing the CDROM for the ATI capture device.

I then put the CDROM into the tray and let it autoboot the ATI installer.

I then clicked Install

Then clicked Express install

Then waited until the installer "told me" to connect the ATI capture device for the first time, it was not connected to the 110 Volt/+6 Volt power source. I plugged the USB cable from the ATI capture device into the PC.

Then I plugged the 110 Volt/+6 Volt power source into the ATI capture device.

I waited 2 minutes and the installer detected the ATI capture device was plugged in and continued the install. I did not touch the keyboard at any time after plugging the 110 Volt/+6 Volt power source into the ATI capture device. It took a while but the installer detected the device was connected and automatically continued the install.

It installed several things and stopped when it started to install the Guide+ software and asked for permission. I granted it permission, and it continued.

The installer finished and asked for permission to reboot. I granted it permission and the system rebooted. The CDROM was still in the drive.

After reboot the MMC toolbar was visible on the right.

I immediately checked Device Manager, there were no yellow warning cones, all of the ATI capture device drivers were installed.

I checked the version of the device driver for [ ATI TV WONDER USB2.0 Video & Audio ]

It said:

ATI
8/19/2004

I clicked the ATI MMC TV tuner application and it began First setup, completed that and audio and video worked as expected. It displayed tuner static and emitted sound. I switched it to S-Video and it captured video and sound from my tivo s-video output and played it properly.

I copied VirtualDub 1.9.11 and VirtualDub 1.10.0 to the desktop.

I started VirtualDub 1.9.11 and it worked as expected, it captured video and sound. I did have to turn Enable audio playback on to hear the sound.

I started VirtualDub 1.10.0 and it worked as expected, it captured video and sound. I did have to turn Enable audio playback on to hear the sound.

So this is with a complete install of the 180_V01089_100 CDROM on Windows XP wth Service Pack 2 on it.

I have not been able to reproduce the "no sound captured" problem your seeing.

The only difference I can see at this time is the Device driver version you have installed is:

ATI
1/25/2005

which is not the version that came on the CDROM that came with all of my ATI TV WONDER USB2.0 capture devices.

At this point I can only "guess" the problem is that Driver version has a problem.

I've uploaded a compressed rar split copy of the CDROM that came with my ATI capture devices above. It is in in three parts.

If you download those and use something like 7Zip it can extract those into a CDROM image file with the .iso extension.

There are several ways you can use that to attempt a new install on a fresh install of Windows XP SP2 like I did. And I would expect it to work.

I've really only seen one instance ever of these ATI USB2.0 capture devices fail, and it was totally non-functional, it did not partially fail. Its red LED on top did not even light.

If I could get a copy of the driver that you have been trying I could try to reproduce your results and diagnose the problem. But without it I'm dead in the water.

I'll try finding a copy of that driver on some other Driver archives for other ATI cards.. the ones that came after that device usually had some legacy drivers included on them too.. if I can find it I can confirm if it has a problem by installing it and attempting the same vetting procedure. Finding that specific driver version may take a little time however.. it would be quicker if I knew where you got it, or could get a copy of the one that you have.

It would be useful to know so that if other people have a similar problem we could tell them not to use that version.

These boxes are remarkably stable and long lived. Only their power supplies need to be changed out occasionally.

When they work properly you have lots of controls available that aren't usually available with other devices.
07-05-2019, 11:20 PM
Free Member

This is the iso file I got off the net...see if this produces the same error as me for audio.

Attached Files
File Type: rar ATI-AIW-SetUp-File.part1.rar (99.00 MB, 20 downloads)
File Type: rar ATI-AIW-SetUp-File.part2.rar (99.00 MB, 16 downloads)
File Type: rar ATI-AIW-SetUp-File.part3.rar (37.01 MB, 17 downloads)
07-06-2019, 12:57 AM
Free Member

Thank you

I will check it immediately.

I also finished my survey of Vogons and other Driver archives.

I think I found the source > it was AMD legacy support and its still online here

They were all signed off on 1/25/2005 with version 6.14.10.6317 way too early for SP3 so they should have worked with some version of SP2 released in August of 2004 but that didn't give them much time to test with SP2 only four months at most. Which means one of the new Security features like DEP might have snagged it.

I can't be certain there is a problem until I have tested it however.

-- merged --

I will download your drivers and do a fresh install of XP SP0 then install SP2 and then install the driver set you uploaded for a test.

Still working on setting up for a test, but I burned the .iso you uploaded to a CDROM and its labeled:

180-V01100-200

I don't understand all of the encoding in the label yet.. but I think 180 is a product line, V01100 is a version of driver disk for a product line and 200 means it was intended to be used with Service Pack 2 or was the second master of the CDROM for release.

Examining the CDROM it is definitely and specifically for the ATI TV WONDER USB2.0N but I have never seen a copy of this CDROM "ever". The legacy drivers on AMD are simply "pieces" from this disc.. they are not wrapped in any kind of installer.

I'm eager to find out if this disc installer has a problem, or if its the drivers, or there is no problem and these drivers are simply newer and less buggy.

Whatever the outcome, the results will be interesting.

-- merged --

Okay,

I finished testing your Driver .ISO on XPSP2 and the bad news.. is it works.

Driver reports:

ATI
1/25/2005

Captured in 4:2:2 and looked crisp and sharp. Sound was fine.

I used ffmpeg to reduce this capture output to 4:2:0 but gives you some idea of how good this box can capture.

Output.mp4

I'm beginning to suspect there might be something wrong with your capture box. I've never ever seen one where only the audio failed.. it just seems so hard to believe. But I guess it is possible.

I don't know if there is some place or someone who could test it for you.

I would offer to test it for you if you lived nearby. I live in College Station, TX but the odds are you live very far from me.

If you do have another XP system I would test it on that.

And finally if you give up.. I'd either partner it with a Sound card to capture sound with the video and by-pass the boxes audio inputs, or at least sell it to someone with the known defect explained to the buyer. It makes an exquisite video capture device.. as the attached sample demonstrates.

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 Output.mp4 (62.56 MB, 17 downloads)
07-06-2019, 12:44 PM
Free Member

that's bad news for me... I bought this from Lordsmurf...will contact him regarding getting another one or returning this one to him to test. Thanks for trying and testing everything to figure out my issues.

-- merged --

Not my day the other PC i have is hp elitedesk 800 sff...installed windows xp sp2 but can't find driver for audio device on high definition audio bus..because HP does not support windows xp anymore...search the net everywhere but have no luck...can you help out finding this driver...than i can test this pc and make sure 100% it is the card...

-- merged --

I read somewhere installing Windows XP on my HP pc with Intel i5 chip will have missing drivers issues...and their is no support for it.
Is that true?
07-06-2019, 05:17 PM
Free Member

Retro gamers are very familar with driver issues. There used to be an industry around selling support for finding and downloading drivers. It made some people mad and they eventually got together and made an opensource set of tools and download kit for automatically detecting and pulling down the drivers you need for free.

The current favorite is "Snappy Driver".

You can download the "lite" version which runs a detector on your system and then downloads only the drivers you need from the Internet.

You can download the "full" version which runs a detector on your system and then applies the drivers you need from its most recent 15 GB cache of drivers while offline. Needless to say.. this takes a lot longer to download.

Most people download the "lite" version and put it on a CDROM or USB stick to get it on your Windows PC, then double click it and run it from there.. it runs its scan and does its thing.

It can be a little overwhelming because (well) it was designed for "Gamers" which means Extreme Expert features.. but most people like me bumble along and get it done.

Its really worth learning if you work on old PCs or need driver support and would rather not chase things all over Google.

Snappy Drivers is like an "Internet Browser for Drivers" except it finds and installs them for you.

Be Sure your ATI USB2.0N is not plugged in while running Snappy Driver if you plan to use the Installer disk, because Snappy Driver will try to find drivers for that too. But if you want it to do that.. then you can leave it in.. I just don't know what kind of drivers it will find for it.

Here is where to find it:

Snappy Driver