Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Free Member

Hello everyone,

As most know, I am working on a project to capture a couple dozen home videos and transfer them to DVD. I have done all the capturing and filtering I need for the video I am working on. Now I am trying to encode the video to Mpeg2 so I can author it. I am using MainConcept Reference 2.2. The problem is that all my encodes suffer from motion distortion and jittering, especially with panning shots. I can be rather distracting none of this is present in the source. I have tried every combination of settings imaginable and I get the same results. The motion looks much less smooth than the source. There is a wavy distortion in three places when the camera moves. On some scenes it is not very noticeable. On other scenes, it is incredibly distracting.

Is there anything that can be done about this? Will I just have to live with it? I have a lot of video to encode and if they all suffer from these motion distortions, it could be quite a problem.

Thanks for all your help.

I have attached a short video documenting what I am talking about. Please help me with this.

Attached Files
File Type: mpg MotionExample.mpg (15.50 MB, 15 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-28-2011, 01:52 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

I'll look at this further later today, but it's almost always a simple settings issue with interlacing. Ideally you want to flip from BFF to TFF, or TFF to BFF, and author to a test DVD-RW / DVD+RW. That's all I'm going to be doing, as soon as I can do so (must finish some projects first).

Some of it may also be due to filter damage. Not all filters are interlacing-aware.

Improper framerate changes can also cause this, but I don't believe you're doing any intentional framerate changes. However, you will still want to verify your settings -- PAL vs NTSC.

And then lastly, deinterlacing can cause this. But again, I don't believe you've intentionally deinterlaced anything, based on past posts.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!