Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Edit Video, Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-25-2014, 10:05 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

ffdshow is not a program. It's a codec layer -- not really a codec "pack". It allows software that normally could not see certain codecs to now see them. Both it and Haali are excellent for this.

If you're getting trails, then something is causing a deinterlace somewhere.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-25-2014, 10:29 AM
Free Member

I opened the info display on my source file, encoded in DV, and in Interlacing it says "bottom field first".
Would ffdshow allow Pinnacle to read the HuffyUV? Pinnacle has 2 options for encoding to burn, H264 or MPEG2. Mine was burned in H264. OK?
Would saving the edited file in AVI and burning it in another program like TMPGEnc help?
09-25-2014, 10:45 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
ffdshow is not a program. It's a codec layer -- not really a codec "pack". It allows software that normally could not see certain codecs to now see them. Both it and Haali are excellent for this.

If you're getting trails, then something is causing a deinterlace somewhere.
Maybe deintelace (with which Pinnacle does a typically sloppy job), or something not right.

ffdshow's huffyuv might work. There are several versions of huffyuv. ffdshow often solves the problem. I believe their huffyuv is disabled by default, but it's easy to just turn it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoyes View Post
Yes, it's Standard Definition. I can play the DVD in XMedia Recode and it looks great.
Wait a minute. I thought you said you burned a BluRay. Is it BluRay or DVD? Did you burn BluRay encoded video to DVD disc? BluRay and DVD are two different types of video.

Quote:
But when I play it on the TV the motion blurs occur. The editing in Pinnacle was done from the DV encoded file. Pretty sure Pinnacle encodes it to MPEG2 when burning.
Editing, encoding, authoring and burning are four different things. As for DV, it's for PC-only playback -- DV can't be authored and burned to any standard disc format like DVD or BluRay, it has to be re-encoded. And it's really easy to burn invalid discs and formats with Pinnacle.

Quote:
I ordinarily use Taiyo Yuden discs but I ran out and used some cheap disc. Could that be the problem?
No, other than the fact that you'd best burn a properly processed lossless AVI to better disc later.

Quote:
I see that LordSmurf recommended TMPGEnc for burning. Would that help my situation? I think you can do limited editing in that program.
Again, I don't think you understand the difference between an editor, an encoder, an authoring program, or burning. TMPGEnc makes a lot of products, each with its own use. Some of them are multi-purpose apps with editing and encoding ability. lordsmurf might be referring to TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5, which has a pretty reliable burning feature, accepts AVI video compressed with huffyuv or Lagarith if they're installed, accepts DV and several other formats, encodes to DVD/BluRay/AVCHD and builds the correct folder structures for burning, has some edit and transition features, and authors some pretty neat menus. It has better encoders than Pinnacle. It's the same MPEG and x264 encoders used in TMPGenc Video Mastering Works but might not have all of TVMW's advanced encoder settings -- still, Authoring Works would suffice. They offer a free trial version. The interface is a bit more complicated than Pinnacle's, but there's lots of online help.

Quote:
Pinnacle has 2 options for encoding to burn, H264 or MPEG2. Mine was burned in H264. OK?
Would saving the edited file in AVI and burning it in another program like TMPGEnc help?
Thanks for clarifying the encode method. MPEG2 and h264 can both be used for BluRay. DVD can use MPEG2 only. If you encoded to h264, then your video is not a "DVD".

If Pinnacle can't read huffyuv or Lagarith and is working with DV, why would you want to save its output to re-encoded DV-AVI again? If you had TMPGenc, you wouldn't need Pinnacle with the quality-loss AVI-to-DV step, nor the field reversal problems in the first place. You could use the lossless AVI in TMPGenc and avoid all that. There lots of NLE's out there that can read huffyuv compression. You could also checl out a trial version Vegas Movie Maker Platinum, although TMPGenc has a better encoder IMO.

Last edited by sanlyn; 09-25-2014 at 11:35 AM.
09-25-2014, 11:40 AM
Free Member

Sorry, I meant Blu-ray, not DVD. All settings were set to Blu-ray prior to burning.
I downloaded TPMGEnc Authoring Works 5 trial version. It opened the HuffyUV file. Unfortunately I can edit but not burn a disc in the trial version, so I may just buy it as it looks like it can do all I need for this project.
Thanks for all your help. I know I've been a PIA but I've learned a lot thanks to you guys.
09-25-2014, 02:30 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, I meant Blu-ray, not DVD. All settings were set to Blu-ray prior to burning.
I downloaded TPMGEnc Authoring Works 5 trial version. It opened the HuffyUV file. Unfortunately I can edit but not burn a disc in the trial version, so I may just buy it as it looks like it can do all I need for this project.
Thanks for all your help. I know I've been a PIA but I've learned a lot thanks to you guys.
Hey, no need to apologize. You should have seen my very first DVD. Well,....no, you shouldn't. I spent 3 days on it, a full 15 minute TV capture. Burned my first disk and hurried to load it in my player. The player thought about it for a few seconds, then spit it right back out at me. So much for beginnings.

Personally I think TAW5 is pretty OK, and I've used TMPGEnc stuff for years. Before you buy it up, many like Vegas Platinum for its extra features (color correction, etc., etc.), but I'm not in love with its encoding. But for edit/encoding/burning, TAW5 does good work.
09-25-2014, 03:03 PM
Free Member

Think I'll go to Adobe Premiere. I actually started with Premiere Elements and recently got the free 30 trial for Premiere. Went online with Adobe and I qualify for a user discount (29.00 per mo. for the whole suite) because I've bought Photoshop and have updated frequently.
Seeing how good that VHS looked after you guys restored it inspired me to get it to look that good on Blu-ray. Ordinarily I'd have done it on Pinnacle and said "good enough, it came from a VHS tape".
09-25-2014, 03:25 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Hey, no need to apologize. You should have seen my very first DVD. Well,....no, you shouldn't. I spent 3 days on it, a full 15 minute TV capture. Burned my first disk and hurried to load it in my player. The player thought about it for a few seconds, then spit it right back out at me. So much for beginnings.

Personally I think TAW5 is pretty OK, and I've used TMPGEnc stuff for years. Before you buy it up, many like Vegas Platinum for its extra features (color correction, etc., etc.), but I'm not in love with its encoding. But for edit/encoding/burning, TAW5 does good work.
I bought the Sony Platinum suite for $40 on B&H and the only thing I use it for is to author video from FCPX, I very much dislike its encoding and the software can be glitchy at times.

I recently tested out TMPG and was pretty happy with it, though I believe its restoration capabilities are limited for this time of work. Premiere is the way to go IMHO.
09-25-2014, 03:49 PM
Free Member

One last question; can Premiere open a HuffyUV file?
09-25-2014, 04:49 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Hey, no need to apologize. You should have seen my very first DVD. Well,....no, you shouldn't. I spent 3 days on it, a full 15 minute TV capture.
My first disc look like $hit. It had audio sync issues and was deinterlaced. Back then, you used ATI MMC 6 to capture, Cleaner 5 to encode, and DVDit! 2 (or DVD Studio Pro 1) to author and burn. No site anywhere explained concepts like interlacing. This was the stone ages of DVD authoring, back when you only had 1x DVD-R(A) and 1x DVD-R(G).

There was almost nothing back in 2001 to make DVDs.

I hate the online-only monthly Adobe license. Long live CS6! FYI, you can buy used copies of Adobe software (discs!) on Amazon.
Check this out: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...AL52WPGSZLJS2P

Just use ffdshow for Premiere.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-25-2014, 06:21 PM
Free Member

Agree with you about the Adobe monthly license. And it's all on the cloud. So if I buy a used Premiere disc I don't have to register it with Adobe? Just install and go?
I have downloaded ffdshow. If I buy a Premiere disc will it find the HuffyUV codec, or do I have to do something to get it into Premiere?
With Apple TV and wi-fi equipped TV's can't we just download a file to the TV? What format would it have to be? What format are HD downloaded movies in?
09-25-2014, 06:29 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
No registration required. In fact, after updates are applied, you can both disable updates, and even add some addresses to your hosts file to entirely block the Adobe 'phone home' crap. I hate 'phone home' because it's too often favored by hackers looking to infest a lot of systems at once. All you need is the disc and the serial key printed on the paper or box.

To get Huffyuv, you need ffdshow for Windows, Perian for Mac.

Most streaming media players want deinterlaced H.264. So make a copy for that. Make a better copy for a disc version.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Free Member

I realized I had Premiere Elements 7 back in 2009 but had lost the disc. I just got off the line with Adobe and they gave me a new download. Slick.
So I have the HuffyUV file of my video. And I have downloaded ffdshow. So will Premiere just read it or do I have to do some other task?

-- merged --

I downloaded Premiere Elements 13 (Adobe upgraded me from 7) and tried to open the HuffyUV file. I got an error message "required codec not installed". I downloaded ffdshow last week and it is in C:\Program Files (x86) and on the start menu (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows|Start Menu\Programs). Is there something wrong here?

-- merged --

Finally found time to get back to this. I was able to watch the huffyuv file on Windows Media Player. Doesn't that prove that huffy is installed and working? Still couldn't get any software to see it so I recoded in XMedia Recode to an avi-divx file. I opened in in PE13 and it looked bad with horizontal banding coming off moving people. So I tried Pinnacle 17 and it looked great. I did some editing and exported it to a Blu-ray. Seemed to go okay but got stuck on 50%. Couldn't get it to go and I looked at the display info and it was a avi-rgb uncompressed. Where the hell did that come from? That codec isn't even available on XMedia. BTW, the file size when I recoded from Huffy to Divx went from 22GB to 105GB. Guess my only option is to do it all in MPEG2.
Any thoughts?
11-29-2014, 11:28 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

We'll encode it to Blu-ray for you. I'll get back to you via email.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.