Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-12-2018, 08:42 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
It wasn't the word censor. You somehow pissed off the firewall!

Adjustments were made.

Go ahead and post it now.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: sanlyn (05-12-2018)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-12-2018, 10:30 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukukuhi View Post
I'll type out the error message as the blur effect is caused only after the upload. It's clear on my end.

The error message is as follows:

VirtualDub Error

Avisynth open failure:
Script error: Invalid arguments to function 'SelectEvery'
(c:\Users\SGK\Desktop\Chinnvar Movie Comedya.avs, line 12)

And i've attached my script.
This is your script:

Code:
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\MDG2.avs")
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\RemoveDirtMC.avs")

aud=NicMPG123Source("C:\Users\SGK\Desktop\Adithya TV Comedy Collection\"
   \+ "Chinnvar Movie Comedya PID 125 L2 2ch 48 256 DELAY 5ms.mp2",
   \normalize=false)

vid=MPEG2Source("C:\Users\SGK\Desktop\Adithya TV Comedy Collection\"
   \+ Chinnvar Movie Comedya.d2v")
#AudioDub(vid,aud)

Source1=last
a=source1.SelectEvery(3,0).RemoveDirtMC(50,false).RemoveSpotsMC2().MDG2()
b=source1.SelectEvery(3,1).RemoveDirtMC(50,false).RemoveSpotsMC2().MDG2()
c=source1.SelectEvery(3,2).RemoveDirtMC(50,false).RemoveSpotsMC2().MDG2()
Interleave(a,b,c)

LimitedSharpenFaster()
AddGrainC(1.5,1.5)
return last
Notice that the operation "AudioDub(vid,aud)" in blue is disabled. Therefore no new video clip is created to which the term "last" can refer. You've created and defined two video clips, named aud and vid. In the line "Source1=last" the logic is confused about which is the clip designated by "last". Is it aud or vid? This means that source1 is simply a name of "something" referred to by "last", but Avisynth doesn't know what "last" refers to specifically.

If you had not disabled the line "AudioDub(vid,aud)", then "last" would refer specifically to a clip created by combining aud and vid. But with the line disabled, Avisynth doesn't even see the AudioDub operation.

You have to be more specific about what "last" refers to.

Use either the version below ("last" refers to the clip created by AudioDub):

Code:
   \normalize=false)

AudioDub(vid,aud)

Source1=last
Interleave(a,b,c)
or this version: ("source1" refers to the clip named "vid")

Code:
   \normalize=false)

#AudioDub(vid,aud)

Source1=vid
Interleave(a,b,c)
or this (the clip "vid" is given focus by mentioning it specifically as shown, so all lines below it refer to the vid clip, which becomes the default "last"):

Code:
   \normalize=false)

#AudioDub(vid,aud)

vid
a=SelectEvery(3,0).RemoveDirtMC(50,false).RemoveSpotsMC2().MDG2()
b=SelectEvery(3,1).RemoveDirtMC(50,false).RemoveSpotsMC2().MDG2()
c=SelectEvery(3,2).RemoveDirtMC(50,false).RemoveSpotsMC2().MDG2()
Interleave(a,b,c)
or this version, below: (SelectEvery uses the clip created by MPEG2Source, which is considered "last" until you create another clip that can be used as the default "last". The new clips a, b, and c won't be used as "last" because their names are a, b, and c, not "last". In the final line, another clip is created by the statement "Interleave(a,b,c)", which becomes the new default "last"):

Code:
MPEG2Source("C:\Users\SGK\Desktop\Adithya TV Comedy Collection\"

a=SelectEvery(3,0).RemoveDirtMC(50,false).RemoveSpotsMC2().MDG2()
b=SelectEvery(3,1).RemoveDirtMC(50,false).RemoveSpotsMC2().MDG2()
c=SelectEvery(3,2).RemoveDirtMC(50,false).RemoveSpotsMC2().MDG2()
Interleave(a,b,c)
In the above version, three new clips are created by name, with the names a, b, and c. Because these are specifically named entities, the default term "last" still refers to the clip created by MPEG2Source. Then the line "Interleave(a,b,c)" creates a new, unnamed clip. This becomes the new "last". At that point, if you enter the line "return last", the video returned will be the clip created by the Interleave statement.

The Select() series of functions always has a video clip operation to be understood as "clip" in its syntax, even when "clip" isn't stated. The statement "SelectEvery(3,0)" can also be written "SelectEvery(clip,3,0)" or "SelectEvery(last,3,0)". Of course, there has to be something specific referred to by "last" or "clip" which has not been assigned a name earlier.

[EDIT] Exactly the same reply, saved in Notepad without alteration for several tries during the day from early a.m. to early afternoon, then pasted and submitted tonight 5 hours later.

Last edited by sanlyn; 05-12-2018 at 10:51 PM.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: yukukuhi (05-13-2018)
05-13-2018, 12:45 AM
Free Member

The error message has vanished now thanks to you, but Vdub gets crashed with the message 'VirtualDub has stopped working'.

I'm using the VirtualDub 1.9.11 + Filters.rar downloaded from this site you gave me:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-conversion/1727-virtualdub-filters-pre.html

Please help.

P.S. Hey Sanlyn thanks for the info.
05-13-2018, 06:48 AM
Premium Member

[quote=yukukuhi;54154] The error message has vanished now thanks to you, but Vdub gets crashed with the message 'VirtualDub has stopped working'.

I'm using the VirtualDub 1.9.11 + Filters.rar downloaded from this site you gave me:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide....html/quote]Hm, no, that's a very old link, not one I would have advised. You'll never use most of the filters, some are obsolete and buggy, and a few have new versions.

If you can wait a short while I'll have to return to help you clean up your Virtualdub. You have the recommended version (1.9.11 build 32842) but some of those old components are likely a problem.

What version of Windows are you using?
05-13-2018, 07:39 AM
Free Member

Windows 10.
05-13-2018, 08:38 AM
Premium Member

W10, yikes!

OK, I'll see what I can do.
05-13-2018, 08:52 AM
Free Member

Is W10 that worst?
05-13-2018, 09:13 AM
Premium Member

W10 is worst f or everything concerning video, yes. It's for games and tablets. Win8 is no better, Vista is too slow for normal use. If you can't get XP, Win7 is a decent compromise. But you have Win10, so we'll do the best we can.

First, however, at the link to VirtualDub you referenced earlier, did you download and install the version with pre-loaded filters? I believe you said that the version with filters is the one you're using.
05-13-2018, 09:49 AM
Free Member

Yes! that's the one.
05-13-2018, 10:02 AM
Premium Member

Look in your Virtualdub program folders. If you see a subfolder that's named "plugins64", Virtualdub might be trying to load 64-bit filters. You can't load 32-bit and 64-bit at the same time. That would be one of the problems. There are also some dll's in the Virtualdub root foldr that don't normally come with the v1.9.11 version.

Will return shortly.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: yukukuhi (05-21-2018)
05-13-2018, 10:13 AM
Free Member

As you mentioned there is a plugins64 folder. Also i looked into the VirtualDub-1.10.4 folder which had only the plugins32.

The VirtualDub-1.10.4 also had the same problem.
05-13-2018, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

Lordsmurf usually recommends to avoid VirtualDub 1.10.x .

Let's try starting from scratch....

Go into your VirtualDub 1.9.11 program folder. It's probably C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualDub. Wherever it is is, there is a file in the main VirtuaLDub folder named "auxsetup.exe". That file is used to uninstall VirtualDub registry entries. It does not delete or change the VirtualDub program folder itself, so you won't lose anything if you need to retrieve something. All it does is remove some registry entries.

Double-click auxsetup.exe to run the installer app. In the popup window click on the "Remove" button on the left ("Remove personalized VirtualDub settings for all users from the Registry"). Let the uninstall finish and then exit all VDub dialog windows.

You can also run the uninstaller for VDub 1.10x if you want. I wouldn't suggest using it. I installed it some time ago but lost patience immediately and removed it. I don't even remember what its folders looked like.

Go into your Windows file manager app again and find the VirtualDub x86 1.9.11.program folder. Change the name of that main Virtualdub folder to "save_VirtualDub".

Attached is a new copy of the "official" VDub 1.9.11 build 32842 (the official version is at https://sourceforge.net/projects/vir...1.zip/download). Download that zip file intio a separate folder somewhere on your PC and unzip it. It contains a main folder named "VirtualDub", which has a couple of subfolders inside with some 32-bit VirtualDub filters and the official built-ins.

Copy that entire "VirtualDub" folder into C:\Program Files (X86) as a new folder.

Inside your new VirtualDub program folder you'll find "VirtualDub.exe". Double-click that and you'll start with a new version of Virtualdub all over again. VirtualDub makes new registry entries the first time it is run.

Secret: you don't really need VirtualDub in Program Files, you can install it anywhere in a folder called "Virtualdub". but most people are accustomed to Program Files (x86).

Attached Files
File Type: zip VirtualDub_1_9_11_32842.zip (5.36 MB, 1 downloads)
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: yukukuhi (05-13-2018)
05-13-2018, 12:00 PM
Free Member

Done running it. Should I try loading the script?
05-13-2018, 01:01 PM
Premium Member

I'm surprised you waited this long.
05-13-2018, 01:36 PM
Free Member

The problem still persists!
05-13-2018, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

If you mean the Virtualdub stopped working message, then we've already rules out VirtualDub and Avisynth a the problem. You now have a standard VirtualDub setup with no non-standard modifications for any operating system, period. The probhlem is Windows 10 (no surprise). In this case, it's your specific run of Windows 10 because W10 users operate Virtualdub successfully all over the world. I suggest you're now down to running Virtualdub in W10 compatibility mode. If I recall correctly, you go to the Run Program screen, enter "Run Programs" and click on the choice to run programs in compatibility mode for other systems. The program to run is Virtualdub and the "other system" mode should be be XP. Windows 10 online Help on your PC should have articles on how to do this, or try https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/s...ode-windows-10.

I suggest that many Win10 users have had similar difficulty with other applications, especially those that use 3rd party codecs and compressors. The problem in W8 and W10 is the DEP "feature" ((Data Execution Prevention). Look into this: Configure or Turn Off DEP (Data Execution Prevention) in Windows. I had to do this when someone had problems running Adobe AfterEffects in W10.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: yukukuhi (05-14-2018)
05-14-2018, 03:20 AM
Free Member

Running Vdub in compatibility mode proved to be useful in identifying the reason behind the crash, which I'll paste below. And turning off the DEP had no effect nonetheless.

Code:
An out-of-bounds memory access (access violation) occurred in module 'ntdll'...
Hope you could resolve the issue with this.

-- merged --

Hey sanlyn is this thread still active?
05-18-2018, 10:45 AM
Premium Member

The thread will be active forever.

I['m in the proc ess opf moving into a new house. Takes some time.

There's no simple answer for ntdll errors. Using W10 doesn't make it any easier. Forget about the Windows system file checker. It's absolutely useless.

With video processing, these errors usually have something to do with codecs. If you have some renegade codec pack such as KLite installed, get rid of it. Forums are filled with complaints about it. The safest codec pack, if you really need one, is 32-bit ffdshow (https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/).

How are you saving the Avisynth output files in Virtualdub? By default Virtualdub saves Avi's as uncompressed RGB, which are huge files and tough on CPUs and drive access. Even when running VDub filters (they work in RGB) I save output as Lagarith YV12 for encoding or further Avisynth work, unless you have some reason for saving them as Lagarith RGB.

-- merged --

There must be 5000 websites that offer advice about ntdll errors, especially wince Windows8 and Windows 10 are so notorious for ntdll problems with everyone's software. Users of video editors like Adobe Premiere report a lot of problems, as do TMPGenc owners. One of the better websites for ntdll tips is this one: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-fix-...errors-2624474.

You can also run mpg or avi files directly in Virtualdub. Try applying some VDub filters to a video without running an avs script and see if a test video works OK. Also try Avisynth scripts and disable all or part of certain lines to see if you get the same error message.

-- merged --

Just so you don't feel alone, here are more complaints about Win10. I see posts like this quite often, even in the AVS forum regarding other video issues and W10. There must be a way for you (and others) to work with another OS. Many of these complaints are never resolved.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: yukukuhi (05-21-2018)
05-20-2018, 09:33 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Just so you don't feel alone, here are more complaints about Win10. I see posts like this quite often, even in the AVS forum regarding other video issues and W10. There must be a way for you (and others) to work with another OS. Many of these complaints are never resolved.
And it seems to get worse with every OS update. Some of the new updates have rendered capturing hardware inert, giving BSOD. The OS is for tablets, and any non-tablet use is getting more neutered by the month.

Quote:
There must be 5000 websites that offer advice about ntdll errors
Yes, but if we can help in relation to the specific video/VirtualDub/etc situation, it will be best. Then we'll be the 5001th site, and possibly with a better constructed answer for our audience.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-20-2018, 09:58 AM
Free Member

I ran the script with only MDG2 which worked flawlessly.

Code:
#Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\RemoveDirtMC.avs") 

\normalize=false) 

vid=MPEG2Source("C:\Users\SGK\Desktop\Adithya TV Comedy Collection\Chinnvar Movie Comedya.d2v") 
AudioDub(vid,aud) 

Source1=vid
a=source1.SelectEvery(3,0)MDG2() 
b=source1.SelectEvery(3,1)MDG2() 
c=source1.SelectEvery(3,2)MDG2() 
Interleave(a,b,c)
Then i ran MDG2 along with RemoveSpotsMC which produced a error message.

Code:
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\RemoveDirtMC.avs") 

\normalize=false) 

vid=MPEG2Source("C:\Users\SGK\Desktop\Adithya TV Comedy Collection\Chinnvar Movie Comedya.d2v") 
AudioDub(vid,aud) 

Source1=vid
a=source1.SelectEvery(3,0)RemoveSpotsMC2()MDG2() 
b=source1.SelectEvery(3,1)RemoveSpotsMC2()MDG2() 
c=source1.SelectEvery(3,2)RemoveSpotsMC2()MDG2() 
Interleave(a,b,c)
Avisynth open failure:
Script error: There is no function named 'DeFlicker'
(RemoveSpotsMC4.avsi, line 135)
(c:\Users\SGK\Desktop\Chinnvar Movie Comedya.avs, line 13)