Quantcast Ripping VHS, picking a capture card, TBC? - digitalFAQ Forum
  #1  
02-09-2018, 02:29 AM
filmnoobies filmnoobies is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi

i've read all your articles here and googled many different things on the subject. i can't seem to figure out what would be the best capture card for me. first off, i plan on ripping vhs using huffyUV. I have a nice VCR and just bought an Elite BVP4+. I was using Honetech and EZcap but i know theyre cheap shit. I heard good things Bout ATI 600 and Canopus... but where are the examples? I want first hand experience opinions. I want nothing but the best in terms of quality.

Im thinking of getting
https://m.ebay.com/itm/tvONE-AVT-871...wAAOSwyYFaMMtj

Will that replace to BVP4+? Is it a good machine ?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by filmnoobies; 02-09-2018 at 02:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Ads / Sponsors
 
Join Date: ∞
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
02-09-2018, 03:37 AM
Liberty610 Liberty610 is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 41
Thanks: 34
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I too have been researching this topic the past couple weeks, and plan on tackling the same tasks as you.. User Lordsmurf has been one of the leaders in helping me along my way.

The eBay link you provided for that unit - Myself, as well as others on here will recommended to NOT use ebay to purchase it. There are many clone units/scammers for them on eBay where many issues can come along with it. I have actually talked with several members on this forum about that specific unit. Here are a couple of things I have learned from those talks....

If you are going to purchase it, I wouldn't order it from anywhere except a reliable merchant like B&H. The direct link for it found here:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Time_Base.html

Second, based on articles I have read and direct replies from the knowledgeable folks here, this unit has some pitfalls to it if you buy the current black models. There are older models that where green in color that had better internals on them. Some of the other guys on here can go into more details on the differences between the green and black versions. Lordsmurf has one for sale if I am not mistaken, as I was going to purchase it until I got hit with some financial issues.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
02-09-2018, 02:21 PM
lordsmurf's Avatar
lordsmurf lordsmurf is offline
Site Staff | Video
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 7,006
Thanks: 694
Thanked 1,066 Times in 948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmnoobies View Post
hi
Welcome.

Lots to respond to here...

Quote:
ripping vhs
Pet peeve.

"Ripping" is reserved for extracting digital non-computer data. For example, CD.
Or for extracting protected content. For example, DVD or Blu-ray.
And technically, DV could be consider ripping, though it doesn't fit any better than "capture" does.

VHS is capturing. The term is important for researching this topic.

Quote:
i can't seem to figure out what would be the best capture card for me. first off, i plan on ripping vhs using huffyUV.
It depends on the hardware you have available. For modern Win7/8/10 system, you'll usually need to go with USB solution for SD (PCIe for HD). And for USB, that'd be the ATI 600 USB.

Quote:
I have a nice VCR
Brand, model?

Quote:
and just bought an Elite BVP4+.
These can be useful, and have a pair myself. I've actually relied more on my TBC-3000s/4000s in recent years. As with VCR, sometimes good to have multiple options when tapes react badly to a device.

Quote:
I was using Honetech and EZcap but i know theyre cheap sh!t. I heard good things Bout ATI 600 and Canopus... but where are the examples? I want first hand experience opinions.
Examples are something I've been slowly working on for months. Canopus DV boxes lose color quality; you don't want those unless you're using a Mac (where DV is the only option).

Quote:
I want nothing but the best in terms of quality.
That means building a dedicated WinXP box with ATI AIW AGP card. The ATI 600 USB is a second choice that works on newer hardware.

Quote:
Im thinking of getting
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...y/362185877260
Will that replace to BVP4+? Is it a good machine ?
No and no.

The proc amp inside an AVT-8710 (Cypress TBC) is weak, honestly a toy of a proc amp. It can do very minor things, like +/- 1 or 2 brightness/contrast, maybe drop all color. It's very nuanced, sometimes hard to see what a button press has done.

Furthermore, a BLACK AVT-8710 is flawed. If getting 8710, you need the known-good GREEN units.
Is my new AVT-8710 DOA? (screenshots/clips of error)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty610 View Post
I too have been researching this topic the past couple weeks, and plan on tackling the same tasks as you.. User Lordsmurf has been one of the leaders in helping me along my way.
I try.

Quote:
The eBay link you provided for that unit - Myself, as well as others on here will recommended to NOT use ebay to purchase it. There are many clone units/scammers for them on eBay where many issues can come along with it. I have actually talked with several members on this forum about that specific unit. Here are a couple of things I have learned from those talks....
The problem with eBay and video gear is this:
- incomplete capture cards, hard-to-find power supplies missing
- damaged "working" VCRs
- stock photos; actual items differs, maybe even difference brand

And then there is a lot of dumped items. The video users/experts took non-working items to electronics recycler. And the recycler put it the known-bad non-working eBay "for parts". That is a good thing! But what's not is when the non-video-knowledge recycler puts in a ratty old retail VHS tapes, see a picture (ANY PICTURE!) and claims "its works". Some simply power it on to make the claim.

Buyer beware.

Quote:
If you are going to purchase it, I wouldn't order it from anywhere except a reliable merchant like B&H. The direct link for it found here:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...3167/KBID/4166
B&H is reliable ... but that exact device is not.
B&H has known about this issue with this device for years now. But they still sell it.
Cypress (manufacturer of the AVT-8710) has ignored the bug reports.
For this reason:
Quote:
Second, based on articles I have read and direct replies from the knowledgeable folks here, this unit has some pitfalls to it if you buy the current black models. There are older models that where green in color that had better internals on them. Some of the other guys on here can go into more details on the differences between the green and black versions.
Quote:
Lordsmurf has one for sale if I am not mistaken, as I was going to purchase it until I got hit with some financial issues.
My TBC supply is running really low now, most of my extra gear is now gone. PM me if interested in S-VHS VCRs, TBCs, DVD recorders, or capture cards. I have all the good stuff, mostly in like-new condition.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Find television shows, cartoons, DVDs and Blu-ray releases at the TVPast forums.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
02-12-2018, 11:46 PM
filmnoobies filmnoobies is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
soni should buy the ATI 600 USB from b&h? also what is the ideal capture card for the xp system?? thx
Reply With Quote
  #5  
02-12-2018, 11:58 PM
lordsmurf's Avatar
lordsmurf lordsmurf is offline
Site Staff | Video
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 7,006
Thanks: 694
Thanked 1,066 Times in 948 Posts
B&H doesn't have an ATI 600 USB, long discontinued, not even in their online catalog anymore.

... but I have a few left. I see your PM, will continue there on that.

What I referred to, on B&H, was the TBC. And all they stock now is now the known-bad AVT-8710. In terms of what B&H has to offer us, for converting VHS to digital, they really have nothing anymore. The DataVideo TBC-5000, for example, is a high $800 cost, and not really designed for VHS type source. B&H just isn't a source for this hobby/profession anymore, excluding blank DVD media and hard drives.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Find television shows, cartoons, DVDs and Blu-ray releases at the TVPast forums.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
02-13-2018, 12:15 AM
filmnoobies filmnoobies is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah okay, well i look forward to your reply via PM. Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What VCR, DVD Recorder, capture card to buy for best capture result? TheCage Capture, Record, Transfer 19 04-15-2015 05:10 PM
Command line scanning application - helping picking software? Gustovac Computers 3 10-03-2012 12:13 PM
Video capture project, what direction is best? + Proc amp vs TBC + Best capture card? admin Project Planning, Workflows 11 06-16-2011 09:35 AM
ATI All In Wonder video capture card, with capture computer, for sale [SOLD] kpmedia Marketplace 1 05-23-2011 02:09 PM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 PM  —  vBulletin Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd