Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-15-2024, 06:44 AM
Free Member

Hello,

I work at my local historical society and back in january, I planned a project to digitalize old VHS and U-matic we have in our archives room.

Hearing about this project, my local community TV gave us the equipement they don't use anymore including a U-matic player. (Link is for you to see what i'm talking about. I can't find how to send pictures)

- U-matic SP Video cassette player VP-9000
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Sony-V.../dp/B01207CJC2

My objective his to keep has much quality as I can. So I wonder if any of you know this players. Is it good enough to digitalise our archives?

If not, do you have players to suggest?

Thank you for your advise!

ABrouillette1684
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-18-2024, 06:20 PM
Free Member

Hello, it's not the top model but probably quite adequate. However its condition is just as important. Parts are becoming scarcer each year and finding a competent service tech is also more difficult. The size and weight of the unit can make freighting expensive and risky unless the deck is expertly packed. Try and locate a tech in your city, perhaps a retired tech. Be aware some Umatic tapes require heat treatment before playing or winding or there will likely be problems. By comparison digitizing VHS is easier.
03-24-2024, 10:56 AM
Free Member

Highest quality is something like a unit with DUB out into a DIGITAL DPS TBC/converter, or using Keystrobe DUB optimizer into a TBC. It gets expensive quick.

You're probably fine to just go composite out from that current unit assuming it works.
03-24-2024, 02:27 PM
Free Member

I have an FA-300 TBC that has DUB in, Dropout Compensation (DOC - if any lines come through missing data, it will substitute data from the prior line so that there's only a little distortion as opposed to static on that line) and Adv. Sync (tells the player to slightly speed up or slow down so that the frame rate matches exactly what the TBC tells it). Only downside is that there's something up with the power supply where you have to switch it on and off until it eventually starts up which can take 10 or so tries. Once it's on, it stays running and everything seems to work well on it, though I don't personally have any machines with advance sync or DUB, but I assume that also works. I'd sell that for $300 shipped to the USA which is quite a bit less than the others currently listed ones on ebay. PM me if interested.

Issues is, I don't see at least in your Amazon link that you actually have "DUB output" on that machine. The other thing that is hard to track down are the actual DUB cables which have a 7 pin connector (one male and one female), but maybe your TV station gave you some of those as well if they had them.

Even if you don't have DUB out, the ADV Sync and DOC features is probably worth having on whatever TBC you end up using as both of those also work with Composite-only transfers and they just require one BNC to BNC cable each.

Tags
digitalise, player, quality, u-matic