Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-06-2023, 09:26 PM
Free Member

Hi,

Please, I have been capturing VHS to MP4 using the graphic card Avermedia C727 and the Apple TV into Avermedia software in high-quality 60 frames. And everything was going very well!

However, in February 2023, a Windows Update occurred that ended up affecting the operation of my device. I tried to uninstall the updates but was unsuccessful.

After this update, the capture in Apple TV or H.264 stopped working. Remembering that my use of the system is exclusively for capturing VHS tapes in SD 720x480.

After that, to try to solve it, I tried several clean installations of Windows 10 Pro using Microsoft's June 2021 and also the following other Windows 10 updates: 22H2, 1909, 20H2, 1703, and 21H2. But to no avail. I even installed STOPUPDATE software to stop Windows updates, but the end result did not change. I cannot go back to Windows 7, as my hardware has been upgraded and only runs on Windows 10 or 11.

Then, I bought the HDCP Splitter, which worked perfectly with the Playstation 3 in Mpeg2 and AVI in 1080I. However, when I tried to capture a VHS tape with a DVD recorder (via HDMI) using the HDCP Splitter, the SD image appeared, but the input and output LEDs did not turn on. Also, when I trigger to record in H.264 or Apple TV, the AMC simply crashes/shuts down. This occurs both with the HDCP Splitter and without it.

As a result, I have been capturing in pure AVI for two months now, generating files of about 300GB for every two hours of video. When I was capturing from VHS directly to MP4 at 60 frames the files generated had an average of 3 to 5GB. A big difference.

To sum up, I can no longer capture VHS to MP4 using this Avermedia C727 card after this Windows update of February 2023. As already mentioned, I tried uninstalling and re-installing Windows 10 with many different versions, but it didn't work.

I kept trying everything to solve it for many months but I couldn't find a solution.

Please, Does anyone have any tips, or had a similar problem and/or knows how to solve this problem?

Thank you so much in advance!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-07-2023, 05:53 AM
Free Member

Did it not work even with earlier windows 10 versions or was it that you couldn't stop it from updating? The best fix for the latter is to not connect to the internet at all.

What do you mean by capture into Apple TV? Is there an Apple TV application that can capture video?

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: NLP.bandler (05-07-2023)
05-07-2023, 11:30 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
Did it not work even with earlier windows 10 versions or was it that you couldn't stop it from updating? The best fix for the latter is to not connect to the internet at all.

What do you mean by capture into Apple TV? Is there an Apple TV application that can capture video?
hodgey,

I did the clean installations of Windows 10 Builds of the following versions/updates 1703, 19h1, 1909, 20h2, 21h2, 22h2

And I managed to stop Windows updates using the StopUpdate software, it works fine

The Avermedia C727 card defines the MP4 as AppleTV, so it is not an Apple device or software. It's like software build into Avermedia to capture directly to MP4.

Thanks
05-07-2023, 11:45 AM
Free Member

Right so it's just a setting that presumably produces something that an AppleTV box would be able to play back.

I have a different Avermedia card (Extremecap U3 CV710) that I use to capture from HDMI sources. The audio is screwed up on newer versions of Windows 10 (not sure what update) and they no longer support driver updates for it so I've ended up using Windows 7 for it instead. Never really used the Avermedia application as I want to capture to lossless formats while the app automatically deinterlaces the video and only captures to formats I don't want (I've considered replacing it but I haven't managed to justify paying a bunch for another one that have the proper format support I want.). I don't know why just one of the codec options would suddenly break. Have you tried using a different application for capturing or a different version of the avermedia app?

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
05-07-2023, 11:56 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
the app automatically deinterlaces
Avermedia was never a quality card, going back to the early 00s. A few were workable, but never quality. The drier support was usually very limited, sometimes just the sole release.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-08-2023, 07:11 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Right so it's just a setting that presumably produces something that an AppleTV box would be able to play back.

I have a different Avermedia card (Extremecap U3 CV710) that I use to capture from HDMI sources. The audio is screwed up on newer versions of Windows 10 (not sure what update) and they no longer support driver updates for it so I've ended up using Windows 7 for it instead. Never really used the Avermedia application as I want to capture to lossless formats while the app automatically deinterlaces the video and only captures to formats I don't want (I've considered replacing it but I haven't managed to justify paying a bunch for another one that have the proper format support I want.). I don't know why just one of the codec options would suddenly break. Have you tried using a different application for capturing or a different version of the avermedia app?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Avermedia was never a quality card, going back to the early 00s. A few were workable, but never quality. The drier support was usually very limited, sometimes just the sole release.

hodgey and lordsmurf,

I agree with you about the quality of the Avermedia video card. Unfortunately, it is not a quality card.

However, I have been using them for 10 years, and my usage now is only in SD 720x480 for conversion of VHS to MP4.

I have used these video cards for 8 years on Windows 7 and 2 years on Windows 10 with no problems.

On my Windows 10 installations, they work HDCP perfectly in AVI and Mpeg2.

I believe HDCP also works with H.264 or MP4 Apple TV (from Avermedia).

I did a debug with Visual Studio which gave me the following error:

"The error may be related to a problem in the sptlib22.dll library being used by AVerMediaCenter.exe.
AVerMediaCenter.exe: 0xC0000005: write access violation at location 0x001A0000."

As I don't know anything about Visual Studio I stopped there.

Do you know something about it?