Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-11-2013, 04:00 AM
Premium Member

I currently have an HP photosmart all in one printer scanner HP C6100. It is connected via USB 2.0 to a dell PC with windows XP home edition service pack 2

When ever I try to power it up, the light on it just blinks, & it just hangs, I once went into the computer system settings & it showed the printer as disconnected, so I unplugged & plugged it back in, & it worked. But I have had to do this plugging & unplugging a few times to get it working properly.

another problem I am having is it will not print pages that I want or select from the internet or word documents. It will print only a top corner & the print is very large, it is like it cannot get the scale of the pages right. I have tried to set the scale in the printer preferences to fit to page.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-11-2013, 04:05 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Those "all-in-one" printers are so finicky and flaky. This doesn't surprise me to be honest.
I would try to uninstall the drivers and reinstall it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
03-11-2013, 05:28 AM
Premium Member

I thought that maybe the all in ones might have more trouble, when the time comes to get a new printer, would I be better off getting just a standalone printer? do they exist? what about fax functions?

are there any models of printers that are reliable? what about inkjet vs laser?

I dont print a lot, but I do occasionally want to print pictures, web pages & text documents.

what ever it would be, I dont want to pay a lot for one, they don't seem to last, and I have not had a lot of luck, overall so far, I do not like printers much, the one I had before this Hp was a dell all in one, & it frequently jammed up, & when one ink color ran out, i had to buy a whole new expensive inks for it, not just for the one color I needed. That is another sticking point with printers, the ink is expensive, they jam, & do not take thicker photo papers, the HP I have now will not or cannot handle photo paper thicker than .7 mils.

I need one that can handle thicker papers like thicker than .7 mil photo paper. That does not jam up.
03-11-2013, 06:20 AM

Yes -- just a plain old printer tends to be less of a nuisance.
Laser printers are best, though you can't really print photos with one. So it depends on what you plan to do.
Yeah, ink is expensive.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
03-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Premium Member

can anyone recommend any not too expensive models of plain printers?

I would not be printing much, just some text documents, and stuff from the internet. I also need to be able to make copies.

also, I print up photos on photo paper, would I be better off getting a stand alone photo printer?

Last edited by Sossity; 03-11-2013 at 05:52 PM.
03-12-2013, 01:11 AM

I use one of these B&W laser printers for documents: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=digitalfaq-20
For photos, I have something else.

Even pro inkjet printers are a nuisance, so I avoid inkjets when possible. Docs print easy on that Brother. No headaches.

03-12-2013, 02:18 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the link, do these laser printers come with color printing capabilities?

and I do occasionally need to make copies, & sometimes send a fax.

what do you use when printing photos? what would be a good model for this?
03-12-2013, 02:28 AM

B&W only.

For printing photos I use something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=digitalfaq-20
It was also $500+ back in the day.
You can probably pick it up used for $200 or so. I'm not at work, don't recall the exact model.

03-12-2013, 06:46 AM
Premium Member

The Brother is great for B&W printing. No silly software outside of a basic printer driver is needed, although I would step up to the network ready HL-2270DW.