Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-11-2011, 04:46 AM
Premium Member

I just received my seagate portable hard drive, & it is formatted for NTFS, an online pdf document says it needs to be HFS to use as a backup on a mac.

should I use disk utility to format it? & to what? HFS? or HFS+ or HFS journedled? in disk utility I notice the main mac hard drive is mac os journeled extended.

I have used these instructions to format my other hard drives I found; http://macs.about.com/od/application...ilformat_4.htm

should I use this method on my seagate?

it seems it has an installer to install NTFS software to use it formatted as NTFS on a mac.

do I have to do this formatting separately 1st before using paragon snapshot for mac?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Follow these instructions: How to format a hard drive on a Mac in OS X

NTFS is not officially supported in Mac OS X. There are known bugs. That can include total loss of data on the drive.

Format the drive before using it with the Paragon backup program.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Premium Member

I would have replied to that thread, but it had a waring in that it was a certain amount of days old, so I will reply here,

I formatted in disk utility, when I selected a hard drive, I selected the name of the drive just above, in the visual steps listed in that thread for formatting a 2tb Newer technology, it looks like that the name just below this; photos would have been selected to erase & format, how I did it, I selected the name just above photos, the 2tb newer tech.

That is how I did it with the seagate drive, I highlighted/selected 1 tb seagate freeagent. How do I check to be sure it has been formatted correctly?

There was also an NTFS write hack mentioned, what is it? & is it difficult to install?

I would like for my mac to have the ability to read & wrtite to an NTFS volume.