Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Free Member

Everytime I try to do a virus scan, or just now a disc defrag, once it gets to this certain file (I've attached a picture of it) it freezes up my computer, every single time. This just started recently, so I don't know where this came from, or what it is.

I went to C:\winsxs part of my computer to try and find this file & delete it, but there's thousands of these kinda files there & I don't even know how I'd find it.

What should/can I do about this?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo-0016.jpg (28.8 KB, 11 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-13-2013, 05:19 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

That's really odd. We're looking into it for you.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
03-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Free Member

Thanks! Yeah, it's very weird
03-25-2013, 04:34 AM
Free Member

Try booting into Safe Mode (restart your computer and press F8 just before booting in to Windows). Once in Safe Mode, attempt a virus scan again. Does the issue still occur?
03-25-2013, 05:01 AM
Free Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I just tried it, but unfortunately it got stuck on that same file.
03-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
The hard drive could be going bad. You'll want to read the SMART data.
I'll see if JMP can reply to this one later this week.

Either the file is locked somehow, or it's corrupted, or the drive is corrupted. Figuring which ones is the fun part!

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Free Member

So let's try this:

1. WinKey+R, type sfc /scannow. This will scan for and replace any damaged Windows system files.
2. Run your disk defrag again.
3. Does this error recur?
4. Download and install Defraggler (a free alternative disk defragmenter). http://www.piriform.com/defraggler
5. Defragment with Defraggler.
6. Does the error still occur?
7. Follow the instructions at the following link to create a log of Defraggler's errors and then attach it here in the thread. [Use the /debug3 option]
http://www.piriform.com/docs/defragg...-in-debug-mode

We'll figure this out.
03-25-2013, 07:04 PM
Free Member

I did the steps that you suggested. I tried the defrag that's on your computer already and after a few minutes, my screen turned blue with a lot of writing in white font on it, and then my computer automatically rebooted.

So, I downloaded the Defraggler & that actually worked. It took about 4 hours to do it all, because I have several videos on my computer (that won't mess up the quality of the video at all, will it?) I included a screenshot of the results it gave me.

I then tried the same virus scan that I tried last night. It ended up getting stuck on that same file. However, it took about 26 minutes to show up, when last night it took about 6 minutes before it showed up.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg defrag.jpg (98.7 KB, 3 downloads)
03-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Free Member

Okay. So did you create the log file from Defraggler? The screenshot doesn't have the full log, so if you follow the instructions in my last post (including the instructions on the site I linked to), you can save a text file of the full log. Post that log and that will give some more information.

Also, since you had a blue screen, I suggest you follow the instructions on the page I link below to create a log of what issue caused the blue screen. Post both of those logs in your next post and then we can investigate the issue further.
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-bsod.html

Finally, what antivirus do you use? Have you tried the free version of Avast? If not, install the free version of Avast, boot in to Safe Mode and run a full scan with Avast. Make sure to turn off your old antivirus first. See if Avast can scan your whole system in Safe Mode.
03-26-2013, 07:55 PM
Former Site Staff | Computers

I would recommend running a chkdsk to fix file system errors and attempt to recover any bad sectors that the drive my have.

1. WinKey + R to pull up the Run window.
2. Type "chkdsk c: /r" and hit enter (without quotes).
3. It will most likely say that the process cannot be run while the drive is in use and ask if you would like to schedule it to run at next boot. Hit "Y" then hit enter (again without quotes).
4. Reboot the system.
5. During the boot process of windows, it should run the chkdsk, let it run it may take awhile but do not turn the system off or reboot.
6. Once it is finished, try to perform your original tasks of defrag/virus scan again.

A few questions to also ask, have you changed or added any security programs? Running say Norton and Avast at the same time, or switching from Norton to Avast (just examples)?

-JMP

- Check out my latest Editorial.
03-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Free Member

When I typed that in, a small black window appeared for not even a second, it didn't do what step 3 said. I had Norton, but in another post on here, someone suggested I try Windows Security Essentials, which you also recommend I do in that same post. So, I uninstalled Norton and tried that which is what I'm still using.

Kaliree, no I forgot to create the text file after I did the Defraggler. How do I create that? I'm kinda confused on what I need to do with the link you posted. Do I need to download the Driver Verifier that they talked about? There's a lof of stuff on that page, and I'm not sure where to start, because I've never done anything like that before..
03-27-2013, 01:39 AM

Just want to clarify that when you uninstalled Norton, did you reboot before installing Security Essentials?

You still need to run chkdsk, so we will get you the alternative way.

1. Goto Computer
2. Right-click the "C:" drive, and click properties.
3. Navigate to the "Tools" tab
4. Click Check Now in the area marked as Error Checking. (Note: If you have UAC enabled, it may have a warning message appear.)
5. In the little window that pops up, make sure BOTH tick boxes are checked then click Start.
6. It will most likely say it cannot be done while the disk is in use and ask if you would like to run it next time you boot. Click "Schedule Disk Check".
7. Reboot after, and it should perform the chkdsk as mentioned before in my previous post.
8. Once its finished and booted into Windows, attempt to perform the virus scan or defrag. (Do NOT run both at the same time.)

-JMP

03-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Free Member

I followed all the steps but during the virus scan, the same thing happened, it got stuck on the same file. To be honest, I don't remember if I rebooted after I uninstalled Norton. I'd like to think that I did, because I usually do that when I uninstall a program, but unfortunately I can't say with 100% certainty.
03-28-2013, 10:27 PM
Free Member

Did the CHKDSK scan that JMP asked you to do finish without an error?

You said:

Quote:
I did the steps that you suggested. I tried the defrag that's on your computer already and after a few minutes, my screen turned blue with a lot of writing in white font on it, and then my computer automatically rebooted.
Try this:

1. WinKey+R, type cmd
2. A command prompt window should open. Now type sfc /scannow. This will scan for and replace any damaged Windows system files.
3. Perform a defrag using the Windows built-in defrag tool.

Do you still get a blue screen after a few minutes? If so:

1. Download this tool (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bluescreenview.zip).
2. Unzip the folder.
3. Double click the BlueScreenView.exe file inside the folder

This tool will bring up a list of your most recent blue screens. As you click on each item in the list it will show you an image of the blue screen with all of the text. When you find the image that is the same screen you saw earlier:

1. Press the "Print Screen" key on your keyboard.
2. Open Microsoft Paint
3. Right click and choose "Paste"
4. Click "Save" in the menu
5. Save the picture to your computer and attach it to your next post.

This will help us to help you.
03-29-2013, 02:04 AM
Free Member

I just tried the first step, and when I typed in the sfc /scannow, it said You must be an adminstrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility
03-29-2013, 02:59 AM

Is your user account on the computer an administrator level account? If you are, then you may have UAC turned on. (I always suggest turning it off.)

1. Goto the Start Menu
2. Navigate to All Programs
3. Navigate to Accessories
4. Right Click on Command Prompt
5. Click Run as Administrator
6. Follow the steps kaliree has suggested in his last post.

-JMP

03-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Free Member

Ok, I got it to work through your instructions. However, when it was done, it said there was corrupted files that it could not repair. It also said after the reboot, it would fix the files that could be repaired, or something similiar to that. It created a text log, but when I go to it & try to open it, it says access denied & it won't let me open it. I rebooted and am currently running the defrag that's on my computer, it's been going for about 1.5 hours so far, and the blue screen did not appear.
03-29-2013, 09:46 PM
Free Member

First, back up any files you don't want to lose on an external hard drive.

Second, read what I said first and do it, please. You'll thank me later.

Third, even if you can't open the log file, attach it to your next post. JMP or I can work on opening it and getting a look at what is going on. The fact that you have corrupt Windows system files is definitely an issue, so that log will help us to delve deeper. However, it is promising that your system is letting you perform a defrag. I would try an antivirus scan next.
03-29-2013, 10:44 PM
Free Member

Download the Blue Screen tool, is that what you're referring to me do first? Sorry, I can't attach the log file right now, because I'm posting this from a different PC, while the other one is defragging.
03-29-2013, 10:52 PM
Free Member

You don't need the Blue Screen tool if you aren't getting Blue Screens.

As for what I would like you to do first, I would like you to create duplicate copies of anything on your computer that you don't want to lose. You should store these duplicate copies on an external hard drive or another computer.

When the defrag is complete, please post the log file you couldn't open, in your next post.