Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Free Member

Since last night i have had problems wth my internet explorer which opens for 1 or 2 seconds and then it closes. I have also had this on any programs that use the internet to download.

I have to open microsoft update in order to access the internet, the normal launch shortcut opens and then shuts.

This is also happening on dvd workshop 2, which is preventing me from creating any of my dvd's. I am at a standstil and can not do any of my dvd's.

I seriously need to get this sorted ASAP, or it looks like i have to re do my computer from scratch again and i don't fancy doing that again.

I am behind with creating my dvd's and want to sort this. Is their any high tech computer experts who knows a solution to this.

I have already ran a virus scan with norton, done a spyware scan also and nothing was found. All the checks has been done + a clean up and nothing came up. I am out of ideas what I can do to solve it.

I never had this problem before, so i don't know what it could be?

Can someone help with this ASAP, prefer a solution for when i wake up in the morning if poss if not tommorrow the latest. sorry if i am pushy, but looking for a 1 day solution and fast.

Appreciate any help given and solutions i can try.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Free Member

ok first, did you reboot? I know a simpleton question but sometimes those are the most overlooked.

If you are using XP did you attempt to restore to the last known good configuration?

Are you having any heat issues? that is a common problem, when was the last time you cleaned out your machine good? Heat can make a computer do funny things.

I would do the following if you have not already:

1- Check for any dust build up around your CPU fan, power supply fan, and any other places it might collect?

2- Try to restore point when you know things were ok.

3- Remove any programs that you have recently installed that were not there when everything was ok.
05-17-2006, 07:00 PM
Free Member

i remove the recent program when i knew the problem, a general reboot already did. system restore i have turned off so can't use that.

heat wise, well i know its not that as i clean my fan out once a month and tend to keep my compter off for certain periods of time to keep it cool. if anyone has time to search the net today and can find any info, then post it here.

all the simple stuff i already did when i first notice the problem, its something else but i don't know what.
05-17-2006, 07:47 PM
Free Member

curt, i'm not an expert by any means, but here is my 2 pennies worth ...

could it be as simple as a corrupt dll/registry?
as to how to detect what is corrupt, god only knows.

or you could go deeper and get things like routekitrevealer or hijackthis to see if something else is, well, hijacking your pc.

as to how you will download these software when your IE is out of commision ...

might want to try uninstalling and then reinstalling ulead dvd workshop 2.

"I have to open microsoft update in order to access the internet" - this really throws me. does anybody else do this? i simply double-click either IE or Firefox and surf the web. i have never opened microsoft update to get to the internet.
05-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Free Member

normally i would just click on internet explorer and it opens to the internet, but because it opens and closes straight away i can only access it through the microsoft update link.

This morning i turned off my broadband connection and i was able to use ulead dvd workshop 2 with no problems.

so i can stil use Ulead DWS 2, just have to turn my internet off. but for some reason i can't use it if my internet is on normally. i can still access the internet as normal, just have to use a side road for that.

its strange why i can use it with the other methods, but not as normal.

The registary is a good idea, forgot all about that check. will have to do a regedit when i get home and check it out.
05-18-2006, 01:03 AM
Free Member

Well, the next option would be to get something like Acronis or Paragon Exact Image and back up your current drive. Then attmpt to reinstall your OS. Not a complete reformat, just reinstall the OS over itself to try and repair anything that might be corrupt that you cannot detect yourself. Both Acronis and Paragon have free demos.

I have had to do that in the past to correct errors that were undetectable. Not sure whey you have system restore disabled, but you might want to consider reactivating it.
05-18-2006, 02:24 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Before reinstalling the OS (yikes!), consider running Windows setup again (boot from Windows XP CD), and then do NOT RECOVERY but a REPAIR install. It's a few screens into the normal setup process.

The next to last option is what this is.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-19-2006, 01:09 AM
Free Member

when was the last time you defragged or ran an error check/fix on your pc?
05-19-2006, 01:18 AM
Free Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lordsmurf

Before reinstalling the OS (yikes!), consider running Windows setup again (boot from Windows XP CD), and then do NOT RECOVERY but a REPAIR install. It's a few screens into the normal setup process.

The next to last option is what this is.

I guess I should have been more clear, but this is what I meant.
05-22-2006, 06:16 AM
Free Member

You could also do into the recovery console and to fix the issue if a repair doesn't work (which it doesn't all the time). Use chkdsk /R at the command prompt. But the fact that your apps work when you disconnect it from the Internet makes me wonder if you have a trojan or something on your PC.
05-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Free Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tcel93

You could also do into the recovery console and to fix the issue if a repair doesn't work (which it doesn't all the time). Use chkdsk /R at the command prompt. But the fact that your apps work when you disconnect it from the Internet makes me wonder if you have a trojan or something on your PC.

Trojans. Dont need 'em I ve been properly sterilized

I m sorry Curtis.....Just in nutty mood That da-mn Tribble maker TC .

Format re install XP