Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Digital Devices

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-29-2010, 02:51 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

While tech nerds and business folks seem to be overjoyed about the latest Apple toy, it probably won't amount to much. At least not now, not with this first-generation device, not in a crap economy, and not to content producers. It's a consumer toy, like an iPod or iPhone on steroids -- only bigger and more clunky.

Luminous Landscape has a great new "essay" (editorial) on this, at http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/tablet.shtml

Quote:
If the pundits and prognosticators are right (not to mention major newspapers and magazine publishers), in a couple of years millions of us will be using the iPad and similar devices to read much of what today we read on paper.
People need to start being honest with themselves. We all read in the bathroom. Who wants to take an iPad with them to the toilet? At least the bathroom-library newspapers and magazines eventually make it to the trashcan. As long as humans continue to poop, we'll use paper -- both to read, and to wipe*.

(Maybe Apple should create a special sanity sleeve. Call it the "iCrap".)

This is probably the future, for better or worse:
Quote:
with screen-based magazines, in many cases rather than photographs in an article being stills, they will be stills that at the touch of a finger may become a motion sequence. A shot of the winning touchdown in a Sports Illustrated story on the Superbowl becomes a video clip of the action. A photograph of a child being rescued from the rubble in Haiti becomes a short vignette on efforts to save the rescued child's life, and comments by the medical staff on their travails.
But I don't find the iPad any more special than a Kindle.

I'll wait around for holographic paper. (Anybody remember what movie that was in?)
* Or if you know how to use the Demolition Man sea shells, let me know.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-29-2010, 03:24 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

And here's a pretty good blog, coming from an educational stance. Like the above photography site, the hype and buzz is being questioned.

Quote:
Apple just announced their long awaited and anticipated tablet/slate, the iPad. Steve Jobs described it as something between a smart phone and a laptop.

It is really an over sized iPhone. It runs the same operating system and can use the same applications. iPhone apps look a little weird on it, but they are releasing a software developers kit so that developers can modify their applications for the iPad.

This device has been heralded as a "game changer" by many in the technology, and education sectors. It is a very cool device, but I don't know that it is the game changer they expected.
Quote:
I think the device is very cool and is great for web browsing, checking email, watching videos, playing games and the like, but I don't see it as anything that great as a productivity or educational tool. Not yet at least. I think that developers can create some great apps to make it more useful, but it has limitations.
Quote:
I was hoping to hear that the publishers were creating interactive books with links, popup definitions, and more. Hopefully that will come in the future.
Those are some more EXCELLENT points.

Read the full article at http://www.techlearning.com/blogs/27308

I'd like to know what "game" is supposed to be changed. It reminds me of Blu-ray -- a new tech that doesn't really offering anything substantially better over the current supposedly-"obsolete" working tech we use now.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
01-29-2010, 03:48 AM

Very nice:
Quote:
Adriana Maxwell of Marietta, Georgia, says her immediate impression of the iPad was its name, which stirred an Internet uproar as bloggers joked about how the device reminded them of feminine hygiene products.
from http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/01/28/i...ex.html?hpt=C2

02-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Free Member

I've said this elsewhere, but while the device itself looks relatively lame, it would be pretty awesome if it helped standardize affordable unlimited 3G data only plans.
02-12-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Bix* View Post
I've said this elsewhere, but while the device itself looks relatively lame, it would be pretty awesome if it helped standardize affordable unlimited 3G data only plans.
Very true.

04-02-2010, 04:18 AM

This thing is still getting bad press. ABC basically called it "cool but expensive/useless" yesterday morning. It doesn't do much without Internet access, but the non-wifi access is supposedly $130 per month, and AT&T is the only provider.

Still not available to anybody, that I'm aware of. All "on order" still. Another one of Apple's iDidntPlanThisVeryWell devices.

I'm not anti-Apple, but I am very much anti-craptech.

04-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Free Member

The 3G data plan is $30/month (and there's no contract or anything tying it into a voice plan), not $130. To me, that's the only potential selling point of this thing (affordable internet everywhere plan), but the device itself too expensive.
04-03-2010, 09:05 PM

Ah, the ABC news segment seems to have made an error. Doing a quick Google check, it seems the 3G version is $130 extra (above the price of the base model), plus a monthly subscription at whatever the AT&T rate is.

Still costly.

10-05-2010, 05:51 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Re-revisiting this, I've had more time to use these in various places. There have been many times lately that I have ungodly long PDFs to read -- mostly research papers -- and sitting by the computer is not much fun. Same for laptops, netbooks.

I wish it was not a shiny reflective screen.
Plus I'd want it to read files from thumb drives, rather than emailing myself docs.
And then I wish it was priced about on par with a netbook.
I'd probably buy one for $250-300 to read PDFs (or even the occasional CBZ comic book.)

Not sure what my alternatives are just yet.

All I know is that I loath sitting by a computer for several hours to read a book. Not too fond of printing 100 pages (sometimes in color) that will be put in the trash when I'm done -- too wasteful, too expensive.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
10-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Free Member

Except for the color part, a Nook can read PDFs fine and has an E-Ink screen.