07-28-2006, 10:16 AM
Free Member

Question for those who label their DVDs to make it look like its retail.

For DVD-Insert Printouts, I'm gonna get meritline because they have perforated DVD inserts so its easy to tear out. But, is MATTE just as good as GLOSSY?

Another question, I don't have a DVD Inkjet Printer, sad huh? (I wouldn't mind one if someone had a spare) but is putting labels on the DVD itself a good idea?

Thanks you guys.

-AOA
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-28-2006, 10:55 AM
Free Member

do not put stick on type lables onto DVDs, like what you get at Staples or Wal-mart. If they are placed incorrectly they can cause the disc to wobble in the player...not good. If you want to go that route, I would suggest getting one of the epson printers designed to print directly onto discs and purchase printable DVD's that are designed for this. To be honest, I got into this for a while, but unless you are doing it for home movie transfers where the customer specifically asks, I would shy away....they can be more of a pain in the arse then they are worth. (smears and clogs etc)

Of course if you are doing it for yourself and your own collection, knock yourself out but most traders don't really care IMO.
07-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Free Member

I have an epson printer, and havent had any problems with smears or clogs. My biggest problem is running out of ink...that gets old. Definately avoid the sticky lables though...nothing but trouble.

I dont really know on the paper, Ive always used glossy. I think that would really depend on the printer you use. Ive seen excellent covers on just good regular paper from laser printers.
07-29-2006, 04:41 AM
Free Member

Hmm, another question so I won't clutter the forums, where do I get paper to print out "longer" inserts, as in ones for DVDs that are longer (4+ Multi DVD Case).

-AOA
07-29-2006, 04:58 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I use "Hammermill 8½x14 28lb bright white legal paper" in my color laser printer. The "legal" is what makes it longer (8½x14). I use that paper for all of my printing, I don't even have 8½x11 paper. For the few times I need shorter paper, I cut it off with my cutboard after it's printed. In fact, a cutboard and exacto knife are what I do to cut out case artwork from the page too.

I get my paper from a paper store in Dallas. http://www.okpaper.com/html/locations.html
Pretty much any large city is going to have paper stores. Your local places like Office Depot and Staples will not only have a tiny selection, it will be overpriced.

Several people at CPS have seen my printed color laser artwork, can attest to the quality of the paper and color (and images ).

As far as labels go, DO NOT USE THEM. If you require images printed on discs, get an inkjet disc printer, and buy inkjet discs. But honestly, people hardly even look at it. The DVD case and the DVD menus are far more important. I think a non-shiny disc (I hate fingerprints) and nice handwriting makes for a plenty decent disc presentation.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-29-2006, 05:21 AM
Free Member

Most of us use the Epson line of DVD printers. Epson R200/R300 and a few other models can be found for under $50 and the ink refills are around $20 now for the set of 6.

I really dont print many discs anymore, I do occasionally on something I am really proud of (Sigma Six, Jackie Chan Adventures, etc).

As for Paper I use what LS uses, even on an inkjet it comes out good enough, I dont use gloss or matte just the bright white
07-29-2006, 07:20 AM
Free Member

Ive only ever found photo paper in legal size online, but I dont live in a big city, so maybe thats why.
08-01-2006, 02:13 AM
Free Member

Send a message via AIM to wayshway
I have an epson R320 disc printer. It's super nice. Only bad thing is you are only allowed so many prints. Once you reach your limit your Epson will stop working. Gratefuly I found a program that breaks that and allows you to keep printing.

Take care
08-01-2006, 03:25 AM
Free Member

doh!...I got it...for a minute I was lost and I was having a vaccum moment. LOL..I have some stuff like that myself