Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Premium Member

I have seen listings on ebay and amazon for multiregional blu ray players, they seem to be odd brands or forigen brands I have never heard of. I was a little weary of them so I went with what I was suggested here & got the Samsung blu ray BD E5900. I was told here that blu ray players do not come in multiregional varieties.

Do blu ray discs come in other regions? & how would one play them?

I do have a couple of foreign DVD's, of which I tried to play in the Samsung BD E5900 blu ray but it could not play them.

would I be better off just having another unit/multiregional DVD player for these? as it does seem impossible to have a single unit for all possible purposes.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Blu-ray discs come in other formats (PAL), and other regions. See map:

Blu-ray_regions_with_key.jpg

DVD had something along the line of 10 regions (including 0), and was a complicated mess.
Blu-ray is less complex, but still a nuisance for international TV, movie and film aficionados. It's just a speed bump, not a road block.

The easiest way to make a disc playable is to rip and copy it, which usually removes the region coding in the process. Same for DVD.

Futzing around with hacked or "special" players is the least desirable course of action. At most, I'd use a player that could have regions changed by a "remote trick" -- not something permanent. The issue with Blu-ray is that firmware updates required by new generations of movies could wipe out the multi-region abilities on any player. A copied disc, however, has no such issue.

This is one of the few reasons the ability to copy retail discs is a legitimate action, regardless of claims by MPAA/etc. I can buy it legally, yet they say I'm not allowed to watch it? That's bunk. Removing this silly region "protection" would likely cut down quite a bit on the need to copy discs by fans of movies and TV shows. They do it out of necessity, not because they're stealing anything from anybody. If anything, the fans are the ones who are being stolen from, when they buy something that doesn't work, and "sorry sucker" is the on-screen message from the player.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!