Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-03-2014, 02:19 AM
Free Member

My mother's Belkin Wi-Fi router stopped functioning. After examination, I realized that the power adapter had gone. I suspect this would have been due to irregular power and frequent black outs here (3 to 4 times a day, each time for about an hour).

Do you suggest connecting the Wi-Fi router to a UPS?

I also have an old CRT TV. Is it advisable to have both TV and the router on the UPS?

Some suggested on forums that traditional TV's do not get proper power through UPS and it might affect the way picture is displayed (with wavy lines...etc). They usually associate the term UPS only with computers.

In my part of the world, we use something called 'Voltage Stabilizer'. We use one dedicated stabilizer for each of the devices such as TVs, Refrizirators, Air Conditioners. One stabilizer per device.

My TV is also connected to a stabilizer, but it didn't have another socket to plug in the Wi-Fi router.

The router's power adapter was gone while it connected to a 'surge protector' which was connected directly to the wall.

Can I buy a UPS for both my CRT TV and the Wi-Fi router together? (when I say this here, the store people always respond by saying 'what? a UPS for TV? It is used only for computers') If yes, what KVA? Would the UPS have an in-built 'voltage stabilizer'? Assuming the battery of the UPS will have about 10-15 minutes of power, and if the black out is longer than that (which is usually the case here), how would the UPS protect my device(s)? If there is loss of power, would the UPS ensure that the loss is not sudden? Also, when the power comes on, would the UPS ensure there is no surge suddenly? I understand from previous forums that for a router, ON and OFF is more damaging than keeping it continuously ON. I also hear some words such as Pure Sine wave, Online UPS...etc. Could you please clear those things for me please?

I kept the router in my mother's house so she could talk to us on Skype daily. When the router's power adapter died, luckily I was with her, so I replaced it. But when I am away with her, if the same thing happens, it would be a trouble.

Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-03-2014, 02:37 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naripeddi View Post
I suspect this would have been due to irregular power and frequent black outs here (3 to 4 times a day, each time for about an hour).
Your observation is likely correct.

Quote:
Do you suggest connecting the Wi-Fi router to a UPS?
I also have an old CRT TV. Is it advisable to have both TV and the router on the UPS?
Yes. Anything electronic should be on a UPS. Not just a computer, but your TVs, DVD players, etc. The only things that never go in a UPS are household items like vacuum cleaners, refrigerators, air conditions, and hot water pots. (For household items, you need a whole-house UPS.)

Quote:
Some suggested on forums that traditional TV's do not get proper power through UPS and it might affect the way picture is displayed (with wavy lines...etc).
Those people were wrong.

Quote:
They usually associate the term UPS only with computers.
"They" = the companies that sell UPS. It's just how they choose to market a UPS. But it's NOT just for computers!

Quote:
In my part of the world, we use something called 'Voltage Stabilizer'. We use one dedicated stabilizer for each of the devices such as TVs, Refrizirators, Air Conditioners. One stabilizer per device. My TV is also connected to a stabilizer
Yes, same principle. The power is regulated, so you'd just want to protect it from blackout or brownout. Tubes TVs are far more forgiving than modern sets when it comes to power loss, but I have all of our TV (CRT/tube or not!) on a UPS. Think of a UPS like insurance, as it's something to help protect the device and prolong it's life.

Quote:
The router's power adapter was gone while it connected to a 'surge protector' which was connected directly to the wall.
"Surge protectors" honestly do nothing.

Quote:
Can I buy a UPS for both my CRT TV and the Wi-Fi router together? (when I say this here, the store people always respond by saying 'what? a UPS for TV? It is used only for computers') If yes, what KVA?
Yes. The TV and WiFi take very little power, so even the cheap 500VA works fine. We put multiples items on a 1500VA, and it tends to have 10 minutes of power at full load -- which is plenty of time to shut it all down in a power emergency. I have a 500VA for one TV with a DVD player, and it has about 20 minutes of backup power.

Some years ago, there were tornados in the area at night. All the power was gone -- except for my TV! It was on a UPS, so I could keep watching the weatherman tell where touchdowns were being reported. That alone made the UPS worth it, as I didn't have to hide in a closet, not knowing what was happening.

Quote:
Assuming the battery of the UPS will have about 10-15 minutes of power, and if the black out is longer than that (which is usually the case here), how would the UPS protect my device(s)? If there is loss of power, would the UPS ensure that the loss is not sudden?
Also, when the power comes on, would the UPS ensure there is no surge suddenly? I understand from previous forums that for a router, ON and OFF is more damaging than keeping it continuously ON.
Turn off the TV. The power would then easily be an hour or more at minimum load.

And no, the power cut is sudden. It would just not be the dreaded off-on-off-on that kills devices. That's what you need to worry about. Once the UPS cuts out, it's not coming on again until you manually turn it back on. And that's what you want.

Quote:
I also hear some words such as Pure Sine wave, Online UPS...etc. Could you please clear those things for me please?
For this use, it does not matter. I'd suggest Cyberpower, not APC. The APC are too touchy, and tend to die easier.

Quote:
I kept the router in my mother's house so she could talk to us on Skype daily. When the router's power adapter died, luckily I was with her, so I replaced it. But when I am away with her, if the same thing happens, it would be a trouble.
Another reason to use a UPS for everything, not just a computer.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-03-2014, 04:29 AM
Free Member

Thank you lordsmurf for the detailed replies. It was almost instant reply.

I have some more follow-up questions.

1. Do all UPS come with Voltage Regulator (same as what I am using for the TV, a 'voltage stabilizer'). If I buy UPS for my TV & Wi-fi router, then I won't need to use that 'stabilizer' anymore?

2. You mentioned "It would just not be the dreaded off-on-off-on that kills devices". I understand, in case of computers, the UPS will allow us to save the work and then do a proper Shut Down of the computer. But in case of TVs, there is nothing to 'save'. For unmonitored devices such as routers, TVs, what's the difference between them losing power suddenly versus losing the power while on UPS?

3. CyberPower is not hugely popular here, nor it is available widely. You suggested APC in many threads earlier. So I guess I have to go with APC only. APC is widely available here.

Regards
06-03-2014, 05:11 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by naripeddi View Post
1. Do all UPS come with Voltage Regulator (same as what I am using for the TV, a 'voltage stabilizer').
Many do, though not all. If it has this feature, it'll be an advertised feature of the unit.

Quote:
If I buy UPS for my TV & Wi-fi router, then I won't need to use that 'stabilizer' anymore?
There's no harm in using both. All it will do here is help the UPS.

Quote:
2. You mentioned "It would just not be the dreaded off-on-off-on that kills devices". I understand, in case of computers, the UPS will allow us to save the work and then do a proper Shut Down of the computer. But in case of TVs, there is nothing to 'save'. For unmonitored devices such as routers, TVs, what's the difference between them losing power suddenly versus losing the power while on UPS?
You never want a TV to be turned off by having the power cord yanked out of the wall, right? Well, that's essentially what happens when a UPS loses its power. If the TV is off, and it loses power, that's not as bad as if the TV had been on.

The router doesn't really matter. On and off are pretty much the same for routers. When "off", the router is still on. It's a power vampire.

Quote:
3. CyberPower is not hugely popular here, nor it is available widely. You suggested APC in many threads earlier. So I guess I have to go with APC only. APC is widely available here.
Get what you can. In years past, yes, APC was most suggested. In the past 1-2 years, Cyberpower is most suggested. They keep flipping. But "best" doesn't means much if it's not available. So again, get what is available for you. Having an APC is better than nothing at all!

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
06-03-2014, 05:31 AM
Free Member

Thanks admin.

It is the answer to the 2nd question that is still not clear to me.

For unmonitored devices such as TVs, what's the difference between them losing power suddenly (when directly connected to the wall) versus losing the power if UPS is employed? Will the UPS do an automatic 'proper shutdown' of the TV once its battery is consumed?

Also, another question is, will a UPS always power the devices through its battery (DC) all the time while receiving input from the wall? Or is it just passthrough after regulating the voltage?
06-03-2014, 05:41 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Will the UPS do an automatic 'proper shutdown' of the TV once its battery is consumed?
No. It only does this for computers.

Quote:
Also, another question is, will a UPS always power the devices through its battery (DC) all the time while receiving input from the wall? Or is it just passthrough after regulating the voltage?
Unless you spend a fortune, a "cheap" UPS (like most of use) switches to backup power very quickly (measured in ms). It regulates voltage, to know if their is underage or overage, and whether it should kick in.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-03-2014, 05:47 AM
Free Member

Ok that's nice. Thanks for your patience and answers.

And thanks for changing the thread title too.

regards