Go Back    Forum > Featured > Marketplace

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Restore the sharpness to your VHS tapes with the Vidicraft IV Detailer in excellent working condition.

This is professional broadcast gear from the late 1980s (mature in age, but still excellent!), not some piece of junk that would have ever been found at Best Buy or other consumer stores.

Asking $60, plus shipping

You'll find better prices on eBay, but most often they won't work very well. I went through quite a few crappy detailers, trying to find nice ones such as this! It was bought for some projects that fell through, so it didn't get any use.

Ask if questions, or if you need more information.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-08-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Can you compare the capability/forte of this item for sale to other processing equipment like the Elite BVP 4+ or the Datavideo TBC-1000?
Elite Video BVP-4 Plus proc amp adjusts colors, contrast, IRE, etc. It does some "resolution boost", but that's not the same as sharpening. In fact, the resolution boost dial is not really used all that often by myself and other owners -- it mostly just increases grain without any obvious sharpening. This is a modern device, late 90s (early 2000s?).

TBC-1000 is a timebase corrector. It cleans the signal, to avoid problems capturing a digital version. Honestly, not much happens here in terms of visual clean-up. Sometimes, maybe mild/minimal jitter is reduced, but that's about it.

This detailer IV is really good at edge enhancements, making a VHS tape appear sharper, especially SP or LP mode VHS tapes. It mostly just adds a mix of grain and sharpness on old SLP and EP mode tapes. Not as bad as BVP4+, but still present.

The Vidicraft units are maybe not as good as the higher-end (and rarer) Studio 1 and SignVideo DR-1000 detail enhancers, as the S1/SV units are s-video connections. But unless you're running pure high-end gear, you won't notice loss on s-video vs composite anyway -- not usually. Also remember those S1/SV units are 3-digit priced boxes ($300 new, at least $100 used in most cases). This is only $60 plus shipping -- it's a fair price for a nice unit.

11-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Free Member

Hi. I am interested in your Vidicraft Detailer IV. I hope that you won't mind a few questions.

I am familiar with the Vidicraft Detailer III. Do you know what the difference is between the Detailer III and the Detailer IV?

Do you have the Instruction Manual for the Detailer IV?

Will you accept a money order for payment?

Can you estimate the shipping costs to Corydon, IN 47112 (near Louisville, KY)? The cheapest method is acceptable.

Thanks for your consideration. I am hoping to hear from you soon. Bob
11-01-2009, 07:55 PM

There's really no performance difference between the III and IV, same features.

There's no manual, but there's really no need for one. The device is pretty straight forward, only a few adjustments to be made. If you do happen to have a question about usage, just ask them here in this forum, in the "Restore/Filter" section.

Money order is fine, yes, in U.S. funds. Preferably from a wire service (Western Union, MoneyTree, Travelers, etc), big bank (Citi, Chase, Bank of America, etc), or post office (USPS).

UPS Ground is likely the cheapest. It would be in the $10-15 range, I'm sure.

I'll PM and/or e-mail you exact details within the next day and a half. Thanks!

11-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Free Member

Thanks. I'll await your reply. I've bought a lot through eBay, but I don't know how this works. Bob
11-02-2009, 09:06 AM

This is just like eBay, but easier. You pay, I ship, and we're done.

Unlike the earlier Vidicraft models, and the line continuations from Studio 1 Productions and SignVideo, this detailer was not dial/knob based, but slider based. It also had separate control for both horizontal and vertical detailing. It's slightly more advanced than the Detailer III.

Here's a quick snapshot photo of the front of the unit:
vidicraft-detailerIV.jpg

Still calculating shipping, will get back to you real soon on that, via PM.

Closed Thread