Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-29-2019, 05:17 AM
Free Member

I bought a few disks from poundland for some non-critical applications and I ran a scandisc and found it was MCC media (evidently been branded). I was surprised due to the stupidly low price-point.

Our local store has quite a few in stock. Are these likely to be genuine MCC media? The disks look like plain disks with a label adhered to them though not a paper label, its a proper bonded writable label.

Hoping to do some futher testing with nero discspeed later when I have some time.

-- merged --

An update:

So after weeks of getting poundland disks with MCC 03RG20, i as usual went to get some today and needed some from there in a pinch.

Noticed Code was UME02. Research on this site's archive and other places tells me they are garbage. And sure enough, multiples from the pack gave errors upon verifying the burn, whereas I never had an issue with their MCC 03RG20 disks. After several failed verifies, I just discarded the pack. The underside looked different and fainter than their MCC disks.

So beware, they may not be MCC discs every time and can be a crapshoot. At least I buy verbatim most of the time anyway.

I have had to delay this project by a day while my true verbatim's arrive. I ran out unexpectedly during a large archiving project for a customer hence why I got these in a pinch as their MCC ones have never given me cause for concern.

If your Disc has a UME01 / UME02 media ID, avoid them like the plague, and I mean like the plague. Don't even consider it as even the correct burns gave crappy diskspeed results. And I would never give these pieces of garbage to my customer, not even for an OS disc, they were that bad.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-08-2019, 06:20 AM
Free Member

Generic or private label discs are often obtained by the labeler/vendor from the lowest cost source of the moment, and not a consistently from one manufacturer. Their quality control standards maybe different.

It is even possible that they could be rejected lots from a manufacturer (although I would be surprised if a reputable manufacturer would allow their code on such as disc), or they could be out and out counterfeits (more likely).
01-30-2020, 05:01 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
MCC codecs were frequently faked, and this is likely here.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs