But it doesn't say or give any guide to HOW many times
and if you reuse them are there any consequences, as there were with vhs tapes-

Thanks for any help

"That which does not kill me, better run pretty dang fast..."
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Free Member

According to the Optical Storage Technology Association, a trade group for optical media, a CD-RW can be written approximately 1,000 times before phase change film starts to lose its ability to change and errors accumulate to unacceptable levels. According to manufacturers, DVD+RW disks are also rewritable about 1,000 times.

You can expect unrecorded optical media to stay usable for at least 10 years, subject to environmental conditions.

How long your optical media will last is a more complicated question because it is so strongly influenced by their storage environment.

in an "ideal" environment, perhaps 100 years!

But that's in an ideal environment. Heat, humidity and dirt are the great enemies of all optical media, but especially the recordable and rewritable ones. The film of material that actually records the information degrades when it comes in contact with oxygen. Anything that helps oxygen penetrate the plastic (on the shiny side) or lacquer (on the label side and the edges) shortens the life of CDs and DVDs.

Dirt produces scratches that can thin or penetrate that protection. Heat and humidity can help oxygen seep through the protective layers. All three are bad news. The aluminum recording layer in commercial media is more resistant than the dye used in recordable media or the phase–change material used in rewritable disks, but it also will degrade when exposed to oxygen.

That's why it is not a good idea to leave optical media of all sorts in your car for long periods of time (generally measured in months). Optical media is comfortable in conditions that make you comfortable. Keep it cool and dry and clean and your media will last a lot longer.

so to sum up ... a few years then start backing up all 1,000,000 dvds!!!!
06-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Free Member

"and if you reuse them are there any consequences, as there were with vhs tapes"

not as far as i know.
if oxygen hasn't penetrated through to the dye, then should be no probs.
06-18-2007, 02:59 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
DVD+RW media tends to die fast, used or not. Sometimes months, sometimes years. Sometimes after one use, sometimes after a dozen or more.

DVD-RW and DVD-RAM lasts far longer.

DVD-R and DVD+R lasts decades, easily, if the media is good (MCC, TY, etc).

Assumes indoor temperature-controlled environment, out of direct light, with humidity typical of most USA/European areas.

Things can be different if you live in a third-world country or in a tropical location, with outdoor air serving as your indoor air.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Free Member

virtually every ram or rw disc I have had has gone to crap within a short period of time, regardless of what type and brand. Keep this in mind. Some
have been only used less than 20 times or so and problems do occur. I would love someone to truly show me one that actually makes it over 60 uses
06-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Most of my DVD-RW have gone well into 50-75 uses or more. A few have easily hit 100 uses. Some of my DVD+RW are lucky to make it to a 5th use. The DVD-RAM are best used to keep drink cup stains off my desk, rarely use them.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Free Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
I appreciate all the info...it seemed an obvious question, but I couldn't word it right to find a web answer-
I feel much better sinking/investing money into this format now, for other things such as day to day recording as I once did with vhs tapes.

Thanks for all the wisdom
06-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Free Member

my 10 verbatim dvd-rw have lasted over a year!
have re-used agin and again.
hell the dvd-rws lasted longer than the dvd player/burner!
06-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Free Member

perhaps they are just sending nasty batches to my area? Of the two I had much better luck with the ram disc than I ever had with a dvdrw