Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Free Member

I have a Pioneer DVR-112D and have used it successfully with no problems for quite a while (your blank media guide has been quite a help in that) but I am having complete burn failure (100% fail rate) with some prodisk spin-x I just purchased for a project. I use Nero 7 Ultimate as my software and normally use ritek, Taiyo Yuden, and Phillips with some prodisk (depending on the purpose I intend for the disks) and have never seen more than a once in a while failure of disks. What could be causing this, and if you need the firmware how do I extract it from the device?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-14-2009, 12:51 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

There are several possible issues to consider here:
  • The DVDs may be bad. While it is unusual for Prodisc, it is not outside the realm of possibility that the discs are bad. Climate-related issues such as heat and moisture could have damaged the media before you even purchased them. In general, Prodisc gives at least 80% or more discs from a spindle will be perfect.
  • The burner may have firmware issues. The most recent firmware for this drive is v1.28 and is available from the Pioneer.co.jp site. You mention using Nero 7. I use Nero 6 on one computer (for data only, however -- it's not a very good program for burning DVD-Video). The following images demonstrate how to view the firmware revision currently in use by your drive, from within Nero.
nero-see-firmware1.gif

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

• The burner may be dirty. Do not buy a "cleaning disc" as that tends to do more damage than not. I wrote a guide on this not long ago (it's been put in it's own thread as of tonight).

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
03-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the tips on firmware. The disks weren't bad after all I burned them without problem on my girlfriend's computer, but I doubt I could have found the firmware upgrade site without your pointing it out. My firmware was 1.08 and update3d without a problem.
03-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Glad to hear that it all worked out.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!

Tags
dvd, mini, pioneer, prodisc