Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-20-2010, 02:53 AM
Free Member

Hi, I must confess I didnīt read whole topic. But as far as I understand this topic handles about Taxes and Shops and Mediarange blanc discs.
Iīm in the Netherlands where there are no probs in regard to ordering and receiving blank Media. Momentarily I need some blank DVD+R DL media. Iīm trying to make a balanced choice between durability ie quality and price.
I donīt backup pictures or anything on DVD, just Movies and Games.
Sofar I only ordered through Opusshop, now also Nierle comes into the picture

So having said that my real questions are:

Is Mediarange (mediacode MR470) or Prodye, (mediacode RICOHJPND01) a sensible choice or is it (fake) poor quality?
The following users thank rekput for this useful post: mlongue1 (01-17-2011)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Moved this to a new post...

I'll assume your movies and games are copies of commercially-available content. In other words, it's not a "movie" of you and grandma at a birthday party 10 years ago, but something you can rent or buy at the store.

Retail content is easy to replace. Ideally (legally), you're just making a "working copy" of your disc, and can always re-copy the archived original. Or if needed, you can always buy another one in stores. (Of course, some things do go out of print, and do get rare/expensive.)

For a task like that -- basic retail backups -- you can use non-archival media. 2nd Class media is also referred to as "duplication grade" media. And then the 3rd Class media is yours fakes and other unreliable discs.

Just understand that you'll be throwing some of the discs in the trash. The burns will fail. On the off chance the burn completes, realize the disc data may be bad on the disc. You really have to test and check each disc, when not using archival media.

Even 3rd Class discs have a "success rate" for single-layer DVD+R and DVD-R. Some of the discs will burn okay, although it can vary from experience to experience. On average, at least half the discs turn out bad -- in other words, the discs are double-priced, after you account for the lost ones.

Given that fact, you might as well go ahead and pay double the price for the better discs out there.

I don't believe that MR470 is the media ID -- that's just the inventory code used by stores, a disc model number. Historically, Media Range discs are mostly fake -- they use discs with a "borrowed" (or fake) media code. I would NOT use a fake DVD+R DL at all, it will most certainly fail. A single-layer disc is a gamble, it may or may not burn.

Prodye is fake discs, too.

Authentic RICOH DVD+R DL media is already unreliable, and the fake stuff tends to be entirely unreadable on the second layer.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: mlongue1 (01-17-2011), rekput (02-23-2010)
02-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Free Member

Iīm curious. The info at the 2 links to 2nd and 3rd class media seems tot be a little outdated. On its own itīs quite uselfull info, however mediacodes should be updated. Are there any other sites with info regarding this? Thnx for your elaborate answer.
The following users thank rekput for this useful post: mlongue1 (01-17-2011)
02-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

It's not outdated at all. The guides were last updated at the end of January, and reflect current information.

Not all media ID codes need to be listed, especially when you start to get into all the codes available in RW and RAM media. It made the tables too big and messy. The manufacturer info is the important piece -- the codes are secondary to that.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: mlongue1 (01-17-2011)