Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Premium Member

I did some shopping tonight for high quality blanks. I noticed that Verbatim and JVC/TY both sell "archival grade" DVD blanks but I haven't seen anything about their performance online. They state that they are made out of a more durable material, but are the dyes the same as the standard discs these manufacturers produce?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-14-2010, 11:58 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

You should seriously read this post: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/show...-dvd-2542.html
Performance of the "Archival" Verbatim did poorly vs the normal Verbatim DVD-R, based on French CATS tests.

More on gold DVDs at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...2914#post12914

And also http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/show...4.html?p=12931
Specifically, this quote:
Quote:
Verbatim "gold" discs use a silver reflective. Those discs are, as far as I'm concerned, only sold because people are dumb enough to buy them. What's the point of having extra gold in a disc, simply for the sake of gold? (Because there are so many dummies out there who insist you must have gold for it to be the best! That's why! The point is Verbatim wants money from that market, too, even if it is really silly.)
According to Verbatim's own white papers, the "archival" DVDs come from smaller production lines of no more than 25,000 discs at a batch**, with optimized dyes (whatever that's supposed to mean?), and a safety coatings on the bottom platter to resist dust/dirt/scratches. However, other areas like polycarbonate quality and bonding glues are unmentioned -- possibly no different from standard media. I'd much rather have a disc with better bonding/polycarb quality than simply a disc with a slab of gold shoved in there for the sake of being able to say, "Look at us, we have gold discs, too!".

I don't plan on buying any Verbatim Ultralife / Archival media. No thanks.

**Further proof that this idiotic notion that a "batch" is a couple of spindles of blank DVDs is a myth started by online forum users in certain places online that are severely lacking in knowledge on how the blank optical industry actual operates and manufacturers media. If 25,000 is "small" then image what a normal manufacturing line looks like! It's most definitely many tens of thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of media in a row. Not a spindle of 100.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
11-15-2010, 07:32 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

You might also find this discussion of Verbatim (MKM's) archival "Century Disc" interesting:
from URL: rmgproducts.com/store/century_disc_overview.html

Quote:
The Century Disc is like taking the best CD or DVD you could possibly make and then putting a 24-karat Gold Layer on top of that, encapsulating and protecting the Real Silver (AG) Layer from degradation and corrosion. The 24-karat Gold Layer covers the entire Silver Layer from edge to edge. Gold lasts longer than Silver because Silver tends to errode and deteriorate, whereas, the 24-karat Gold Layer will make the disc last for over 100 years.

Then, we put a clean white printable surface on top of the 24-karat Gold Layer to protect the top layer from scratches and abrasion. Ensuring an even longer lasting product, as well as giving you a surface you can print on or write on with a permanent marker. (Most people are not aware of the dangers of using a permanent marker on their ordinary discs.)

In addition to all of that, the Century Disc has an Ultra Hard Coat Protection called SRS Technology to keep your recorded surface from losing its data, pictures, or other recorded media in the event it gets dropped and/or scratched.

Not only are you getting an Ultra Precise CD or DVD, you are getting the best quality disc we can possibly find, to help you accurately record and safely store your data. Whether family photos, videos, images, data, or just your everyday files and records, for a very long, long time.

AND, on top of all of this, EACH Century Disc is one of only 25,000 discs made per production run. All disc manufacturers use what is called a Stamper Die. This is the machine that presses the media dye layer onto the reflective layer. These stamper dies, are made of steel and they also press the grooves and pits into the reflective layer so that the media dye, when read or burned, stores and records your data.

Most manufacturers run an average of about 500,000 (yes, half-a-million) discs per stamper die run. These stamper dies (steel) as well as the media dye (liquid) tend to wear out and the engineering begins to lack precision. With the Century Disc, you are guaranteed a near-perfect disc every single time. Compare 25K to 500K, that means you are getting the cream of the crop, right off the line. That's why earlier we said, it's like taking the best CD and DVD you could make and then combining all of these other great features.

We, as well as Mitsubishi, stand behind the Century Disc and are prepared to offer you a limited lifetime guarantee. The Century Disc will record the first time, everytime, and it will play back whatever you have recorded onto it, every time you use it or we'll give you a complete refund. No bones about it.
On the same page, I find this assertion dubious
Quote:
In some DVD-R media products, oxygen can penetrate through the bonding glue exposing the DVD's metallic reflective layer to the dangers of corrosion. The 24-karat Gold Layer prevents this integral element from deterioration far better than silver alone.
I like the qualifiers that were used here.
Translation: "It probably won't matter, but if it does happen, then..."

Having destroyed many DVDs in the name of testing, I'm pretty certain that delamination of the bonding pretty well screws the whole disc beyond use -- an extra sputtered foil layer isn't going to make a whole lot of difference in the real world.

A good disc? Sure, probably so.
Does it have anything to do with gold? Probably not.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.