Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-28-2008, 07:11 AM
Free Member

hi, it looks like i might be in the need to buy a new standalone duplicator. the one i have now (about 4 years old) is starting to have problems with just about any brand discs that i use. been doing ok lately with verbatim dvd-r 4x discs, but is starting to reject those as well and now those are discontinued. was ok for awhile with ritek, but then started rejecting those. i don't have alot of money to spend nor do i need anything fancy. i just want a basic dvd/cd duplicator that will not have a problem with different brands of discs and that will last me awhile. i want to get the best duplicator i can for around $200. anybody got any suggestions? what about it LS? lmk. thanks stoogedog
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Can your current one have drives swapped out for others?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Free Member

I've got one of those 1-to-1 duplicators that acted up every once in a while. Usually it just needs a cleaning. I've taken it apart and hit the inside with compressed air (after removing the drive units). Then used a CD/DVD cleaner. No problems since.

One of the problem with those units is, they don't normally recognize newer drives, so it may not like a newer burner - the firmware on the controller sometimes can be upgraded.
01-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Free Member

hi, i'm not techy enought to swap out drives or take the thing apart. what duplicator in the $150 to $200 range do you recommend? lmk. thanks stoogedog
01-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
I can always try to repair your duplicator. If nothing else, I could confirm it is indeed beyond repair.

I actually don't use duplicators personally, just computer DVD burners. (Clarification: I've worked with duplicators, just don't own one for myself.)

If you still want to buy a new one...
For the most part, anything stocked with good drives is best. Pioneer or Samsung, right now.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs