Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Free Member

This may sound a bit superfluous, but I can find no mention anywhere on the internet.

Is there any reason to believe that either cell phones (which emit radiation and are coming under scrutiny for health reasons) or magnets (used in so many CD/DVD storage towers) are bad for, or can negatively affect, optical discs?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

None.

Optical media is affected purely by temperature, humidity and light.

Magnetic fields should have no affect.

The only exclusion may be some sort of science experiment type situation, where some scientific gizmo creates insane magnetic fields. (Maybe nuclear reactors, particle accelerators, radiation, etc.) One of those situations where I doubt anything would be safe.

Setting a magnet directly on top of anything can affect it -- everything is magnetically affected. So I wouldn't put a magnet on top of a disc -- just in case.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
06-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Free Member

Thanks Admin. What are your thoughts on cell phones? I know different models emit different amounts of radiation, and some states like Maine are considering warning labels (much like surgeon general warnings on cigarette packs) alerting you to the risk of putting those devices up to your head. If it's bad for your brain, can't it be bad for discs too?
06-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Most of those studies are still inconclusive, in terms of the amount of radiation emitted. Some of them also try to scare you with big nasty-sounding numbers. But once you compare them to something as common as background radiation from outer space or our sun, you realize it's just boogeyman science. People who be surprised how much harmful stuff is blasted through our bodies daily -- none of which comes close to lethal levels, even after a lifetime of exposure.

The worst thing about having a phone stuffed against your ear all day is hearing damage -- not cancer from radiation.

I would suggest there's really no need to put a cell phone on top of a DVD anyway. You risk harming the disc from weight and scratches far before you'll zap it with radiation or magnetism.

My cell recharges under the desk at the office, or on the dresser at home -- it's never near a DVD cabinet. I'm more worried about the phone being next to a hard drive, than anything else.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!