Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-19-2012, 06:14 AM
Free Member

Is one better suited by using a laser printer or an ink jet printer for labeling discs? Actually, not even sure if one can use a laser printer to label discs. Been using Lightscribe up to now but it is obsolete and Verbatim stopped making the discs 2 years ago. I need to transition into a new labeling method so am asking here for some advice. Archiving is my goal and all I do is print some basic info on the disc such as, date and time. Used permanent markers until Lightscribe became cost effective then it was phased out. Really like my labels more legible than writing by hand since I am not the most adept and penmanship. Searched the forum but all the posts are a year or more old.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

This is not a topic that can get "old". Anything written in past years is still viable and current.

I've never seen a laser printer capable of printing on optical media.
The heat generation alone would probably make it an undesirable method, even if it were possible. Media longevity is affected by extreme heat.

You essentially have only a few options for labeling media:
  1. Good - Nice handwriting with a Sharpie marker
  2. Good - Inkjet printing on inkjet discs
  3. Good - Thermal printing on thermal discs
  4. Good - Etching with laser (aka "Lightscribe"), using special media that are now discontinued
  5. Neutral - Hub-only labels -- not great, but not horrible
  6. Bad - Full-face sticky labels -- terrible idea, should NEVER be done

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
02-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
This is not a topic that can get "old". Anything written in past years is still viable and current.

I've never seen a laser printer capable of printing on optical media.
The heat generation alone would probably make it an undesirable method, even if it were possible. Media longevity is affected by extreme heat.

You essentially have only a few options for labeling media:
I will see if anyone else updates what has been previously written. The newest post or two are about a year old. Others are older than that. New printers do come out periodically. The one thing I read about that I am worried about is the possible smudging. Not sure if that only happens with inkjet or also thermal printers.

Quote:
Good - Nice handwriting with a Sharpie marker
Not an option for me anymore. Spoiled by the legible labels from Lightscribe last few years.
Quote:
Good - Inkjet printing on inkjet discs
Recommendations?
Quote:
Good - Thermal printing on thermal discs
Recommendations?
Quote:
Good - Etching with laser (aka "Lightscribe"), using special media that are now discontinued
Was preferred until media dried up.
Quote:
Neutral - Hub-only labels -- not great, but not horrible
Prefer inkjet or thermal option.
Quote:
Bad - Full-face sticky labels -- terrible idea, should NEVER be done
Totally Agree
02-20-2012, 08:47 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

How much do you want to spend?
A low-cost Epson Artisan 50 Color Inkjet Printer starts at $150 shipped from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B00275G08W

Costs all go up from there.

In recent years, most advancements in printer technology have been limited to (1) lowering prices on laser, both B&W and color printers, and (2) methods in ink placement, combined with using more than standard CMYK in inket printers -- most of which is found in the higher-end photo-quality inkjet printers.

Ink smearing will always be a worry.

Thermal printers are far more costly.
For example, Rimage printers: http://www.cdrom2go.com/product/rima...content=E05100

Epson, Rimage and Primera are the "name brands" for disc printers (both inkjet and thermal).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
02-21-2012, 06:17 AM
Free Member

My budget is inexpensive. From what I have read so far the Epson Artisan 50 is currently my choice. Want to make sure I have read the most current information and am informed before actually making a purchase. Labels for archive discs is my goal so I do not need a high end anything since I am not trying to impress anyone but myself. Not selling the discs or producing them for clients.

kpmedia, thanks for the replies.
02-22-2012, 05:44 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

An Epson Artisan should work well for you.
Epson makes great printers. I have one here, for photo-quality printing (one of the higher end inkjet printers, $300+).

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!