Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Blank Media

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Free Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement

Warner makes HD Hybrid disc a possibility?
According to patent discovered by New Scientist, Warner has been brainstorming on the possibility of a hybrid disc that could store HD DVD and Blu-Ray data on one side and DVD data on the other (possibly also CD data). The only hybrid discs that have been produced so far are HD DVD / DVD discs. While the manufacturing processes of HD DVD and DVD are similar, Blu-ray requires new equipment to produce.

HD DVD discs' data layer is 0.6mm from the surface whereas it is only 0.1mm for Blu-ray. Both formats utilise a 405nm blue laser. According to the patent, which several top Warner executives as the inventors, "a dual disc may also be formed with two high-capacity data layers, one conforming to the HD DVD format and the other conforming to the BD [Blu-ray disc] format."

This is made possible by the use of semireflective coatings to allow the two layers to coexist on a single side. The Blu-ray data layer would work like a two-way mirror in that it would reflect enough light for Blu-ray playback, but would also let enough light through for HD DVD playback. The greater depth of HD DVD's data layer makes this possible.

A DVD disc, like HD DVD, has a data layer at 0.6mm but uses a red laser at 650nm. For DVD data to also be stored on the same disc it would have to be on the opposite side of the Blu-ray / HD DVD side. Obviously such a disc would cost more to produce than a standard HD disc (while also putting aside legal complications and otherwise) but it could possibly make the DVD format war easier for the average confused consumer.

Of course, there are downsides to this method. The main downside would be that each HD format would only have one layer on the disc, that's 25GB Blu-ray data and 15GB HD DVD. Then when you consider the capacity that HD content demands, studios would find themselves having to release some movie titles with multiple discs just like DVD. Besides a hybrid disc option, another possibility is a player that can read both formats. Technology that could bring these players to the market has already been demonstrated.

--Woah---- Too much for my wittle brain

"That which does not kill me, better run pretty dang fast..."
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-21-2006, 06:28 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Studios are scambling to find ways to make the unappealing HD formats more appealing. They cost too much and offer minimal improvements over current DVD tech. Their idiocy and money-grubbing has blinded them to the fact that nobody wants the format.

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are the answer to a question nobody asked.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-21-2006, 11:40 AM
Free Member

Make the blank media less than a $1 and make the players under $50 and I'll convert
09-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Free Member

This technology is rapidly withering on the vine as we speak.They've priced themselves out of customers, and they aren't offering a sizable enough increase in quality over current generation technology.I have a feeling that dvd is here to stay for quite awhile longer.There is just no way HD/Blu-ray will catch on anytime soon.The cost of the hardware, the cost of the software, and the lack of many titles are hurting the companies as well.I will not drop a thousand dollars on a player to get slightly clearer view of Harry Potter's zit.And I will not drop $900-1000 on a recorder that won't even burn cd's for god's sake!?!?!?This most likely will go the way of betamax, laserdisk, and several other failed "latest-greatest," technologies have in the past.Just my opinion.......
09-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Free Member

I'm also feeling this way about the newest generation of gaming consoles.They obviously will be picked up by the masses, but I haven't seen a game yet that showed me that big of a step from PS2/Xbox graphics.Now hopefully they'll start incorporating better A.I. and physics into the games to make up for the lack of the "wow" factor in the graphics department.Otherwise it'll be a couple years before I buy one of the other new systems.I'll wait until there are enough games in the console's library, and the price is down to reasonable in relation to my budget.$600 for a PS3??That thing better wash my car, cook, and be willing to wipe my arse if asked politely lol.