Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-28-2018, 07:06 AM
Free Member

Many negative comments about Ebay dealers in hardware most of us here are looking for have been made in this forum, and I am sure all, or mostly all, are justified. This does not mean knowledgeable no-bullshit dealers are absent. I would like to tell you one I can unreservedly recommend.

vcrshop is run by Branko Koster in the Netherlands. He has been selling via Ebay for the past two years. In that time he has received 220 feedbacks, 100% positive, and I can see why.

Recently I bought a JVC HR-S9600EU from him and it got from his base in the Netherlands to my front door in eleven days, packed and padded like the Tower Crown Jewels. Unfortunately the load/eject mechanism turned out to have an intermittent problem. I wrote back about that, expecting a somewhat evasive reply. What I got instead was an explanation of what it was in 99% likelihood, namely a worn rubber belt in the transport mechanism. I also received two photos of that transport mechanism, showing the belt and another photo of an envelope addressed to me, which contained not one, but three replacement belts "because these belts do wear out from time to time".

Branko obviously knows the machines he sells, tests them out before selling them and repairs them beforehand if necessary. The fault with mine most likely escaped his notice because it is an intermittent one.

This is not the end of the story. I followed the envelope's progress via the tracking number Branko's photo of the envelope displayed. postnl's list of scans terminated at the point of departure from the Netherlands. Eventually I decided to ring Australia Post about it and was told that the item had been scanned at Australia Post's sorting and distribution centre near Tullamarine Airport in Melbourne, Australia on the 18th of July. Also, that if it does not find its way to me by Tuesday, the 31st, the chance of me receiving it at all is down to 5%.

I related this to Branko an hour ago. Half an hour later he replied that he'll despatch another lot first thing Monday morning and send me the new tracking number.

So, my purchase involved a couple of hurdles, but I think you'll understand why I thought I should let you know that the VCRshop via Ebay is an excellent place to buy the sort of stuff we are after. In fact, the way the hurdles are being handled makes the vendor even more recommendable.

VCRshop also has a website. It's mostly in Dutch and prices are given in Euros, but I think all articles listed there are also available via Ebay.
The following users thank Wandering for this useful post: haoyangw (06-08-2021), lordsmurf (08-01-2018)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-01-2018, 06:44 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
The old saying: even a broken clock is right twice per day. In the same vein, there are some good eBay sellers out there, that are actually knowledgeable about VCRs. But needles in haystacks, minority, not the norm.

Good to hear you've found one.

And thanks for sharing your experience here.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-01-2018, 07:34 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
The old saying: even a broken clock is right twice per day. In the same vein, there are some good eBay sellers out there, that are actually knowledgeable about VCRs. But needles in haystacks, minority, not the norm.
That is exactly what I said in the first sentence of the opening post.

I started this thread in order to identify one of those rare needles. Worth doing, don't you think?
The following users thank Wandering for this useful post: lordsmurf (08-01-2018)
08-01-2018, 07:58 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
Worth doing, don't you think?
Absolutely.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-01-2018, 10:33 AM
Free Member

We've also bought a VCR from there, a Philips VR1100, which has worked great so far, and the packaging was superb, so I can second this.
07-02-2021, 02:22 AM
Free Member

I have also bought my Panasonic from Branko (vcrshop.nl and ebay). I have only positive comments to give. He is helpful, trustful and provides real support. After a year, I had some problem with the sound of Panasonic. Branko fixed it, and now I am back on tracks.