Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-10-2015, 07:10 AM
Premium Member

I Printed out multiple pages of all the DFAQ Guides in 2010, (b-4 I learned how to read on-line, and not print all that stuff!) But I was thinking that most of my end users would be viewing my converted VHS to DVD Files on their HDTV Big Screen (16x9) Tv's or at least their Windows PC...So (MY anyway) output file decisions should be based on that...any reference to CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) TV viewing should be updated in the Guides to reflect such changes.????(But I'm Still Stuck In the Past)

Last edited by rocko; 07-10-2015 at 07:13 AM. Reason: add
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-12-2015, 06:40 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Give me a link, to know where the issue is.
But I will say this: Viewing on CRT or HDTV really makes zero difference on the creation side of the equation.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: rocko (07-12-2015)
07-12-2015, 08:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Give me a link, to know where the issue is.
But I will say this: Viewing on CRT or HDTV really makes zero difference on the creation side of the equation.
http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...sources.htm..I recently re-read this and many of the other guides since getting back into this..I was focusing too much on the printed words TV or Television Set, (thinking it meant CRT only)(Being a mid-50's elderly old fert!) and nowdays most folks (Even I) have a Big or HDTV, and probably even a Computer monitor. I was confused about interlaced vs progressive final file output...But then later saw one of your comments that the playback software or DVD player will play back interlaced as progressive so it looks Good on LCD/HDTV anyway...Plus I thought something was wrong with my captured .avi/MPEG files with those Comb lines running across when viewed on my PC monitor...But this is good!...Don't worry...Still computing all of this..But slowly!
07-12-2015, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Unless a video has really sloppy interlacing during production, it should be difficult to see interlace combing on most PC media players. Note that VLC player doesn't deinterlace by default -- you have to enable it in its options menus. Also note that the typical integrated graphics card is godawful for video playback, especially with high-CPU usage like VLC. I don't see that today's PCIe cards are all that great over the old AGP's. I have AGP cards with no more than 128MB of video RAM playing HD on 1920x1080 monitors without a hitch. But with PCIe I had to go to 1GB models for the same performance. Guess they just don't make 'em like they used to.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: rocko (07-14-2015)
07-14-2015, 03:18 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Note that VLC player doesn't deinterlace by default -- you have to enable it in its options menus. Also note that the typical integrated graphics card is godawful for video playback, especially with high-CPU usage like VLC.
Thanks, Didn't know that about VLC! (went and changed setting right away!)..Also have been using a (budget?) NVIDIA Gforce 8400GS for quite some time..may be time to up-grade?