Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Free Member

Posted this question in another forum, but of course no responses....not much point in asking for help when no one replies....

Anyway, I think I plan to build an equipment rack for the VTR's and audio gear I have for my workstation setup. I was wondering what would be the best wood material to build the rack with. I will probably make sliding shelves for the VTR's where it will be easy to slide out if I need to do some maintenance or swap something out. Of course the wood would have to be solid since two of the VTR's I have are just over 50lbs so a sturdy surface is a must.

I may plan to add casters at the bottom so I can move it as necessary, and the bottom space I can house the computer towers in as well. This should leave some open space for the desk surface monitors and keyboards.

Now I need to try to draw up a plan to see how this will go together and materials that will be needed.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-25-2012, 01:23 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
The racks here are wood. They're much sturdier than metal racks. The only potential complaint is heat, but that's solved by adding rubber wall doorknob protectors to the bottom of your gear. Leave all the sides open. Don't back it into a corner, or have the back side against a wall. (If for no other reason, it's a horrible experience to rewire when the wires are not easy to get to.)

If you want to put computer gear with audio/video gear, be careful about FM noise and other feedback caused by close proximity, and from sharing the same power source.

If you need to know the specific type of wood being used, let me know. I'd answer now, but that person is asleep.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-25-2012, 03:03 AM
Free Member

Rubber wall doorknob protectors...yeah I need to find a set for one of the VTR's I have since it has no rubber feet.

The computer gear will be setup at its own desk workstation, away form the AV gear.

And if you could I surely would like to know what type of wood was used. When I build it I will place it to where it can be easy to access the wiring in the back so most likely will have it at an angle away from the wall.

I'm close to coming up with the type of rack I want to build, it shouldn't be too tough to put together.
07-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
It's pine.

Use this:
  • 2x4 or 2x6 for legs
  • 1x2 for shelf braces
  • 1x12 for the shelf lumber
If you want to make it pretty, stain it. I like walnut or dark walnut. It's executive/classy.
Don't use paint.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: VideoTechMan (07-29-2012)
07-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Free Member

Appreciate the info LS, thanks! I am also thinking of adding wheel casters (heavy duty) to where I can easily move the rack around as needed.

Another quick question...would you have a sample pic of a wood-made rack? I have an easier time to visualize it if I can see it.

Last edited by VideoTechMan; 07-29-2012 at 09:05 PM.
07-30-2012, 03:53 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Wheels would just make it more flimsy (less sturdy), even if heavy duty, due to the size and weight of such a rack.
Ideally you design it with a single position in mind. If it has to be moved, get a few male friends to help you move it across the room.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!