Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Free Member

Something interesting I've recently learned - almost all VHS/DVD releases in the US were required to have copyright warnings attached, however, not all programs, especially small release ones, were copyrighted. Lacking copyright, it would be legal to copy all these videos after the waiting period (5 years to give the creator time to register).

Is there a way to tell which videos are truly copyrighted or not? Whether or not a program is, I try to support the creators, but for some recent shows I've been trying to find there haven't been DVD releases (The Master with Lee Van Cleef for example).

Any ideas?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-14-2014, 08:03 PM
Free Member

Is this easy enough?

http://www.copyright.gov/records
03-14-2014, 08:51 PM
Free Member

That is one way - but here's the issue - if you cant find what you are looking for, does it mean it is pd or does it mean you didnt search correctly? Thats the issue i am tackling right now.
03-22-2014, 03:02 PM
Free Member

As far as I know, all works after 1978 are automatically copyrighted for the life of the creator plus 70 years. If the video was published for commercial use, the copyright is at least 95 years. If before 1978, the copyright is for 95 years. Just because it is not registered doesn't mean the creator can't come back later and claim royalties.

Of course, if the videos are used within the guidelines of fair use, that would be different.
07-21-2014, 04:57 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by premiumcapture View Post
Something interesting I've recently learned - almost all VHS/DVD releases in the US were required to have copyright warnings attached, however, not all programs, especially small release ones, were copyrighted. Lacking copyright, it would be legal to copy all these videos after the waiting period (5 years to give the creator time to register).
Sneaky, isn't it?

Several companies have gone farther than that, and have threatened to sue (but NEVER actually do!) anyone caught "infringing" on their make-believe copyrights. They don't actually own it, but claim they do!

For example, lots and lots of comic books and radio shows are NOT copyrighted, yet some company claim to own them. For radio shows, a company may release 2-3 one-track/episode cassettes or CDs (ever, total!) then claim the whole library of dozens or even 100s of episodes as theirs. Comic scanners may get bogus copyright notices, yet no official licensed product exists, and never will.

Then you have companies like Harmony Gold, which take this kind of a-holery to another level yet. They licensed the original Macross back in the early 80s. Yet 30+ years later, they still claim both it AND all subsequent works that did not yet exist. And it is very likely that they are in the wrong! But because they threaten to sue, and because anime dubbing is a budget business, nobody goes to court over it. It's a really shady company -- most recently with ties to the Berlusconi scandal.

Recently HG had the audacity to ask fans for money. I wrote more about that here: http://www.tvpast.org/forum/toons-su...ies-works.html

Because of HG, we can never get toys, comics dubbed cartoons, etc, for all of Macross.

Rights are a murky area full of shady companies being copyright trolls.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Winsordawson (07-21-2014)