04-15-2019, 09:50 PM
Free Member

Hello! I'm trying to use the site Posterburner to print out some posters that are sizes 1080x1440. These images are beautiful, but I'm frankly not sure how they'd end up as 18x24 posters, so I've come for the advice of the forum to make sure I don't print out blurry images and ruin my posters (and waste my money)!

Please let me know if you think these two:
https://imgur.com/gjsjsy6
https://imgur.com/2MgJKbv

uploaded to imgur at full quality, will end up well as 18x24 posters with their 1080x1440 size! If not, then what size would be recommended?

Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-16-2019, 03:26 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Fractal resize is (hopefully) the magic being used. Though I'd be wary, as false promises are easier than good quality.

Imgur compresses images. Attach the full sized image to a forum post, in a ZIP or RAR file. I can then see for myself what may look best. 18x24 is iffy, while something in the 11x17 range is far more likely.

The best places for prints is AdoramaPix. We've used many, that's really the only one that satisfies.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: keiannr (04-16-2019)
04-16-2019, 04:16 PM
Free Member

File uploaded! Hopefully it works, I haven't used a forum like this in ages. There are multiple posters of the same design as the two I uploaded, and another different one (titled "end of the line"), a size range recommendation for that would be wonderful as well!

I checked out AdoramaPix and they look great, as well as cheaper than PosterBurner. They don't seem to have an 18x24 print size option, so I contacted them to see if they'll custom print something like that! Thanks for directing me there, I'm happy to see the quality looks amazing.

Attached Files
File Type: zip posters.zip (2.85 MB, 1 downloads)
04-16-2019, 04:29 PM
Site Staff | Video

The source is 300dpi, about 4x5 print.

But with a fractal resize, and some mild sharpening before/after, it'll work at 18x24. Not bad at all.

I'll go ahead and run all the image for you real quick. I'm still waiting on files to migrate (reason I've been posting on the forum this afternoon), so I can take a few minutes for this. I'll attach here when done.

The images look interesting. That one almost looks like Nick Fury. Can I get more info on what these are?

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: keiannr (04-16-2019)
04-16-2019, 04:39 PM
Free Member

Hi, thanks so much for the information! I'm new to this whole poster printing stuff, and I wanted some quality prints compared to what the official site is selling (I heard the quality was really going downhill after a few years... hence why I'm searching for my own printing site).

I did contact AdoramaPix, and they were amazingly fast in replying — I feel that I should mention that they don't work with custom sizes in case you ever want to print sizes they don't have options for! Will go back to them for sizes they do have though.

And these are concept art for a game that was released about a decade ago from Valve, Team Fortress 2. Class-based first person shooter game, and it's got a pretty nice old feel to some of its concepts, here's an article that shows some of their very nice environment art and concepts. I've sunk about 600 hours into this game within a year and a half (and even more time just readingits comics, watching videos, and browsing content), and it'll probably be adding up even more come summer.
04-16-2019, 05:05 PM
Site Staff | Video

The 4 portraits look great at 18x24
The aspect ratio of the group shot is 18x32, and I did resize it to that, but it doesn't look great at that size. I'd consider 14x24 instead. You can always reduce the size easily, it's the upscaling that was harder.

We rarely give AdoramaPix exact sized images. We print whatever odd size is needed, and the excess paper is simply cut off. So no need to worry about custom sizes. Another option for non-photo printing is VistaPrint, something I've used from time to time over the years.

Enjoy.

Consider becoming a Premium Member of the site.

Attached Files
File Type: zip demoman18x24.zip (14.03 MB, 1 downloads)
File Type: zip endoftheline18x32.zip (18.54 MB, 1 downloads)
File Type: zip engineer18x24.zip (14.55 MB, 1 downloads)
File Type: zip medic18x24.zip (13.49 MB, 1 downloads)
File Type: zip sniper18x24.zip (15.17 MB, 2 downloads)

Tags
photo printing, poster, poster printing, printing, resolution