Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-01-2020, 05:26 PM
Free Member

Been reading different things on this forum for a while and have been encouraged to finally figure out how to get all my old tapes onto Google Drive. This is also my first post.

I have 2 VHS tapes from the 1983-1984 time frame. They were recorded on garbage tapes (I think one is a BASF), not that they made only cheap tapes but if they did this one was a cheap tape.

Unknowingly, I totally gunked up a DVD/VCR I bought at a yard sale by playing the tape. It will take a while to clean up the VCR but I fear I may have watched that tape for the last time. I can still see pieces peeling off. Are there professional services that might be able to rescue what's left?

Or should I buy a cheap VCR and hope it'll make it all the way through the video one last time so I can capture the video.

Hoping there's a service out there that might be able to handle the 2 tapes I have this problem with. All my other one's seem okay and I'm hoping to tackle those myself at some point.

Thoughts?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-01-2020, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

Hello, and welcome!

I have been fortunate thus far to never encounter a sticky or shedding tape. However, I have read some and watched some videos enough to know that some do attempt to bake their tapes with a food dehydrator. This keeps the layers together for a few weeks, I think I got that right, after it's cooled for a day. The tape doesn't disintegrate or anything after that. It just gives you a window of time to play it back with much less or no stick/shed of the tape so you don't harm the tape/player irreparably during playback and you get much better video playback quality.

TGrant Photo is a great place that offers a product customized for this job, if you were to ever consider doing it yourself. I am not sure he does any video capture for people. But he sells a lot of refurbished or custom gear for us that DIY. His site appears to be down at the moment I post this, but it was up recently. So, I cannot find the exact link to the product, but it may be linked from this informative article on the topic I found via search engine. https://www.tgrantphoto.com/sales/in...ng-video-tapes There are others I've seen on youtube that have done this on their own with a dehydrator for probably less cost. Since I haven't done this, I don't know how much difference there would be between his custom product, and just getting something straight off the shelf. The big thing seems to be the temperature used, and it is rather particular with not much room for changes. So if the gear you have doesn't keep accurate temperature, that's probably why his has a thermometer built in so you can be sure you get the right levels.

No experience with services. Not much I can volunteer. But I suspect you'll get more replies. What has been said a lot is that the quality of services out there can fluctuate quite a bit. So even if they were good at baking it, they may not necessarily use the video gear you'd like to get the best out of your tape. As you'll learn from this site everything in the video chain matters with regards to quality of capture. The player, proc amp, external TBC, capture device. It depends on how particular you might be. So asking for advice on services is wise, as there are probably some that should be avoided.
04-02-2020, 08:56 AM
Free Member

Hoping someone can help with my crappy tapes. I appreciate the replies thus far.

Is there an idiots guide to doing your own simple transfers? Lol

I'm looking for a solution that will do a very good dljob without needing technical know how. I get the need for a decent VCR with a TBC. Still unsure of what capture card as I didn't see a guide for those like there is for VCRs.

Looking like I need an older PC to do it right as I gather the better analog capture cards can't be used with newer technology.

Needs
1. Svhs with TBC (I've seen the units listed on this site)
2. Capture Card. What's a good one for general DIY?
3. Capture Software - VirtualDub seems to be consensus on here.
4. Still trying to wrap my head around codec.

I have read a little about how a seperate TBC is a good idea but I'd like to possibly try it without at first and just use the TBC that comes with VCR.

Do I need to acquire an older pc with older OS?