Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-20-2023, 08:30 AM
Free Member

Just bought a HM-DH5U to replace my HM-DT100U which was stolen. I was expecting to have to clean it or recap the power supply as this has been necessary on every single DVHS unit I've acquired, but this one doesn't exhibit any playback problems at all. The D-Theater MPEG-2 decoding is flawless (when the power supplies start to go this is the first thing to experience problems in my experience), the audio output is strong and clear (another common issue is weak analog audio due to failing capacitors). The only problem I've encountered with this unit is fact that it will not power on or off via the remote - all of the other remote functions seem to work normally, just not the power button.

For clarity, I did not get the HM-DH5U with its original remote. I still have the remote from my lost HM-DT100U (LP-21036-043), and I also have a remote which I bought for an HM-DH40000U (LP-21036-013). I didn't end up buying the VCR but I still have the remote. Both of these look nearly identical with only minor differences, and they also match the illustration of the remote in the HM-DH5U manual. Both of them are able to operate my older HM-DH30000U - including power. Neither of them will power on or power off the HM-DH5U. Does anyone know the exact remote model for the HM-DH5U? I've seen online that the "-013" should be the right one but I can't confirm officially. Even if I don't have the exact correct remote, it seems extremely weird that they would change the power-on/off function for one model in the middle of a series, so even with an older or newer remote something as basic as power should work.

I should also note that the HM-DH5U does react to the power button being pressed on the remote - if you open the menu, then press "Power" it exits the menu.

Is this a known issue? Is there a service bulletin somewhere that I was unable to find?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-20-2023, 09:45 AM
Free Member

I have the exact model, never had a problem with its power supply.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
04-20-2023, 10:31 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
I have the exact model, never had a problem with its power supply.
Why do you think it's a power supply problem? Is this a known issue where the remote can't toggle power even though the button on the front panel works fine?

Also can you confirm the exact model of your remote?
05-07-2023, 11:52 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,462 Times in 2,094 Posts
The remote model may be wrong.
The remote code may be wrong, even if the correct remote model. Refer to user or service manual.

Never use "universal" remotes. Those never are.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-09-2023, 08:55 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
The remote model may be wrong.
The remote code may be wrong, even if the correct remote model. Refer to user or service manual.

Never use "universal" remotes. Those never are.
Well, the manual doesn't give an exact model for the remote, so I was hoping someone with this VCR would chime in and share that info so I could confirm whether either of the three OEM D-VHS remotes I have are correct.

Would JVC release four models of D-VHS VCR in order HM-DH30000U, HM-DH40000U, HM-DH5U, HM-DT100U and when they got to the DH5U change the code for power but leave everything else the same and then the next model release change the power code back? Literally every other remote button function works on this machine identically to the way each works on the other models. Anything's possible, I suppose, but isn't it much more likely that there's some kind of fault with the machine like a bad capacitor, or transistor?

FWIW, after none of the three OEM JVC D-Theater DVHS Remotes I tried worked to operate the power, I used my Harmony One to pull down the remote codes for this exact machine from their database and confirmed that it also behaves the same way - everything but the power button works as expected.