Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-26-2023, 11:50 AM
Free Member

One of my VCR players developed an audio static issue when player makes the auto tracking when playing tapes.
Picture is set perfect when auto tracking is done but audio is distorted like if I was playing a vinyl record and it's very annoying to hear this cr@p!!
I have to manually tweak the tracking getting better audio quality.

I found a brand new AC head - Audio Control Head which I can buy, if I replace the old ac head, is it just plug and play or do repair guy need to do an alignment for the new AC head to correct reproduce the audio?

I know back in the days repair shops had special alignment tapes for different purposes for back tension and audio alignment, tapes which I don't have.

All heads has been cleaned by repair service but still have this static issue.

Is it possible only replace the AC head or is it a difficult task?
Do I need an alignment tape for this repair?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-26-2023, 02:45 PM
Free Member

AC head has Absolutely nothing to do with HiFi audio buzzing due to miss aligned head switch point or faulty tapes, The HiFi audio heads are mounted on the video drum along the video heads. I made a video about adjusting the head switch noise and audio buzz, but be careful this is a technician job, Also read the video description carefully:
https://youtu.be/AqGmOiU41i8

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
07-26-2023, 02:59 PM
Free Member

Thanks for your reply

What makes the audio derail on to the wrong track when my VCR player is doing B.E.S.T. auto tracking?
Picture is fine but the audio is wonky!?
To fix the audio static I have to press tracking button on remote for manual adjustment then click step by step on either the plus (+) or minus (-) button tweaking picture and audio until audio is clear because auto tracking failed it's job.

I thought the AC head was worn out therefore reproducing static audio on tape playback??

I only play brand new pre-recorded studio VHS tapes, so these should be good.

I watched the video you linked, tweaking the PCB a little back and forth on top of the head drum is this where you make the audio alignment?
When I receive my new capstan motor I will take my player to the repair shop so they hopefully fix the issues on my player?

Last edited by AMG-Power; 07-26-2023 at 03:13 PM.
07-27-2023, 02:30 AM
Free Member

AC head is for mono linear audio track only, not the HiFi track.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
07-27-2023, 03:55 AM
Free Member

Problem with static noise is only on the hifi track, doing manual tracking with remote makes it sound a bit better