Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-11-2024, 09:01 AM
Free Member

Hi so I've been using a JVC S2902U with a DMR ES15 DVD Recorder going to another recorder which is the Magnavox mwr10d6 (On a budget so this is all I can afford at the moment). All of the settings for the ES15 and JVC VCR players I have followed from the posts of this forum so they are configured to what is recommended. The majority of the footage is fine, but there are certain points in which theres a small drop out which causes fuzzy lines and then a blue screen. I've cleaned inside the VCR thoroughly, I have another VCR that also shows the same thing at the same spots. Could it be degradation of the tapes? They are old at and I was wondering if theres possibly anyway to fix them. I've attached about 5 samples of pictures and videos. Thank you for the help!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample 2.jpg (120.1 KB, 12 downloads)
File Type: jpg sample 4.jpg (31.4 KB, 9 downloads)
File Type: jpg sample 5.jpg (51.6 KB, 9 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 sample 1.mp4 (1.66 MB, 6 downloads)
File Type: mp4 sample 3.mp4 (1.19 MB, 4 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-11-2024, 09:46 AM
Free Member

Turn off the blue screen in the VCR menu and also see if there is damage to the tape at the error.
02-11-2024, 10:49 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryTheCrab View Post
Turn off the blue screen in the VCR menu and also see if there is damage to the tape at the error.
I have tried that. Instead of a blue screen showing it just doesn't show up at all. There is no major damage to the tape itself. This tape however is 30 years old so could it just possibly be signal loss due to aging?
02-11-2024, 03:43 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,468 Times in 2,099 Posts
Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatastory View Post
This tape however is 30 years old so could it just possibly be signal loss due to aging?
Age doesn't matter. And what you state is impossible. The only way for "signal loss" is to drag a magnet across it, or if the oxide is sheeding (in which case it would not "look fine" whatsoever).

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatastory View Post
but there are certain points in which theres a small drop out which causes fuzzy lines and then a blue screen.
What I see here are tracking issues. This can be due to a bad machine with excessive head wear. Perfect SP tapes may be "fine", but even the slightest alignment issue with the tape makes the VCR balk and barf.

Quote:
I've cleaned inside the VCR thoroughly,
How, exactly?

Quote:
I have another VCR that also shows the same thing at the same spots. Could it be degradation of the tapes? They are old at and I was wondering if theres possibly anyway to fix them. I've attached about 5 samples of pictures and videos. Thank you for the help!
Probably just damage, likely even at record-time in the original camcorder. Most consumer cameras were notoriously crappy, and cheap blanks were as well. You almost have to step back in time, and survey what was used all those decades ago, to understand why you see what you do now.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-12-2024, 01:53 AM
Free Member

I cleaned the VCR with chamois tips with a little bit of 91% isopropyl alcohol. I read the recommended cleaning guide mentioned on one of the forums so I followed that. I tried adjusting the tracking, but it still causes dropouts and the blue screen so i'm guessing its not fixable? Camera used was a 1990s camera I don't know the specific kind but yeah i'm assuming technologically at the time most weren't that advanced

Last edited by whatastory; 02-12-2024 at 02:15 AM.
02-12-2024, 03:19 AM
Free Member

Possible solution for Blue screen: Check/Clean the audio/control head; it may also require tweaking the Alignment guides posts (P2,P3)
The sync is not correctly read by the head (default to blue), it can't detect the right speed of your tape (SP/EP/LP).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuP4hTfZ36s
02-12-2024, 03:32 AM
Free Member

I have cleaned the audio/control head and for the alignment I don't think theres any tweaking that needs to be done. Most of the video is coming out fine, theres just certain dropouts. For testing purposes, I used a VHS tape that was brand new and never used. It was sealed. The video on that entire duration has no dropouts so I'm assuming its the tape not the actual VCR. I dont know
02-13-2024, 11:08 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,468 Times in 2,099 Posts
At this time, I think the assessment that the tape is the problem is accurate. And you've exhausted DIY possibilities with your current gear.

Consider setting it aside, and contacting me in a few months (too busy now) to attempt capturing it for you.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
blue screen, dropout, fuzzy