Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-11-2024, 10:36 AM
Free Member

Hello All,

I have an old Sony PC-109 camcorder that's been used here and there for years to A) acquire old Mini-DV tapes and B) convert VHS tapes, both using Scenealyzer via Firewire. Both have been done many times without issue, including some of each that were done a few months ago.

More recently, Scenealyzer has been unable to detect a capture device and is displaying a message with instructions to make sure the camera/VCR is connected and that proper drivers are installed. This has never been an issue before.

What I've tried so far:

1. Different cables (DV to Firewire 800). Of note, the display on the camera reads "DV In" when the cables are connected, so cables seem an unlikely culprit.

2. Different ports.

3. Multiple different physical machines.

4. Different operating systems, including Win7, 8 and 10.

5. Legacy Firewire drivers - pretty sure the ones I used were obtained from here:
https://www.startech.com/en-us/faq/f...cy-driver-swap

In all cases, I've had no luck getting past the error and am beginning to suspect the camera itself. Any thoughts? If I missed anything here or anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-11-2024, 05:34 PM
Free Member

Are you sure the camcorder is in DV out mode?
03-12-2024, 11:02 AM
Free Member

Unable to verify at the moment, but that seems like an unlikely culprit. I say this only because I've never changed that setting before, nor have I ever had the need to mess around with those settings. It's always just worked and worked without issue.

That said, I'll have a look when I'm home and report back if I find something amiss there. Thanks for trying.
03-12-2024, 07:10 PM
Free Member

So I had a good look and do not see a switch or menu option for that anywhere. Again, never a problem before but just wanted to report back with this.

If you or anyone else has any other bright ideas, please drop them here. Other than the camera being a likely culprit, I'm about out of them.

Thanks.