Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-18-2024, 01:14 PM
Free Member

I am archiving my mini DV tapes and want to generate a single file containing the entire contents of the tape. I borrowed my nephew's 15 year old MacBook and can successfully transfer the information to the hard drive from my DCRTRV30 using firewire/iMovie. However, this creates a new file for each start and stop of the original camcorder record button. Hence, I have up to 500 small files for 1 hr long tapes, with each named using the following convention "clip-YYYY-MM-DD HH;MM;SS.dv".

Reading around, the consensus suggested using Avidemux to concatenate the files, however this program will not recognize the transferred .dv files. I read that FFMPEG was required to convert the .dv file (https://avidemux.org/smif/index.php?topic=18766.0) and using this approach, followed by Avidemux, I can generate a concatenated .mkv file that looks OK (using an AVI output seem to increase the speed of the video?).

So how do I setup scripts or workflows that can convert multiple .dv files into something that is useable by Avidemux and subsequently concatenate them? Manually doing this seems like a lot of work

TIA

Phil
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors