Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-02-2024, 04:26 AM
Free Member

Hi, I would soon need to do service on my VCR so I need some recommandation for what kind of grease to use and oil. I saw that in manual of my VCR it's saying that grease that should be used is Part number KYODO-SH-JB and oil is part number COSMO-HV56. But googling it I couldn't find anywhere to buy those two. I bet there are some replacement grease and oil that I can use that are maybe even better than those suggested in 20+ year old manual.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-02-2024, 05:54 AM
Free Member

lithium grease (not the liquid kind (spray) so it sticks onto the parts and don't fall down the circuitry) and standard machine oil is good enough imo

grease for: guides path and gears (all the gears you can find essentially)

machine oil: for the base of the capstan, and pinch roller (not much needed, a drop or two max)
contact cleaner: for mode switch
The following users thank themaster1 for this useful post: Thermaltake (05-04-2024)
05-02-2024, 07:14 AM
Free Member

For mode switch can I use Kontakt60 and after that Kontakt61 for lubrication ?

Any brand that you would recommand in europe for lithium grease and oil machine that I can buy ?

Is VALVOLINE lith ep 2 good grease for that purpose ?

Can pinch roller rubber be cleaned it with something like IPA or something not that aggressive so that rubber don't degrade.

Last edited by Thermaltake; 05-02-2024 at 07:30 AM.
05-03-2024, 07:09 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaltake View Post
Can pinch roller rubber be cleaned it with something like IPA or something not that aggressive so that rubber don't degrade.
To remove the shiny glaze from a pinch roller tire I use Naptha/Lighter fluid. Be warned not to inhale the fumes.

A pinch roller tire is much easier when removed from the deck. Be careful removing and replacing it though.
The following users thank timtape for this useful post: Thermaltake (05-04-2024)
05-04-2024, 12:50 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtape View Post
To remove the shiny glaze from a pinch roller tire I use Naptha/Lighter fluid. Be warned not to inhale the fumes.

A pinch roller tire is much easier when removed from the deck. Be careful removing and replacing it though.
Roller doesn't have shiny glaze but maybe some dirt from cassetts that's all.
05-04-2024, 05:09 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Roller doesn't have shiny glaze but maybe some dirt from cassetts that's all.
Obviously I was speaking about cases where there is a shiny glaze, which after many tapes have run over it, is common. Only the section of the roller over which the tape runs becomes shiny. The outer sections retain the matt black finish of a new or properly cleaned roller.
05-04-2024, 10:40 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Obviously I was speaking about cases where there is a shiny glaze, which after many tapes have run over it, is common. Only the section of the roller over which the tape runs becomes shiny. The outer sections retain the matt black finish of a new or properly cleaned roller.
I understand. I clean it with just dry q-tip.
05-04-2024, 05:17 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I understand. I clean it with just dry q-tip.
Good luck with that...
05-05-2024, 03:08 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Good luck with that...
It works perfectly and it's not dirty anymore.
05-05-2024, 08:41 AM
Free Member

Quote:
It works perfectly and it's not dirty anymore.
I was talking about removing from a pinch roller tire "a shiny glaze, after many tapes have run over it."

Is that what you removed with a dry Q Tip? If not, fine. If so, maybe you have magic powers.
05-05-2024, 10:39 AM
Free Member

Quote:
I was talking about removing from a pinch roller tire "a shiny glaze, after many tapes have run over it."

Is that what you removed with a dry Q Tip? If not, fine. If so, maybe you have magic powers.
No no, it doesn't have that shiny glaze yet, it's pretty new or it looks like that, don't know if the previous owner replace it with new one. I just remove some dirty from dust.
05-05-2024, 09:05 PM
Free Member

Quote:
No no, it doesn't have that shiny glaze yet, it's pretty new or it looks like that, don't know if the previous owner replace it with new one. I just remove some dirty from dust.
Thanks for the clarification.
05-06-2024, 12:08 AM
Free Member

Any suggestion what brand to use with oil and grease ?

I was reading that Molykote EM-30l is grease that everyone praise still searching for it in my country...
Couldn't find what brand to use for oil I want something quality I don't want to put just regular machine oil from first store.

-- merged --

Is it smart to use gear oil 85W-140 to lubricate gears instead of standard machine oil which will evaporate faster ?
05-13-2024, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

No. Don’t use a gear oil. The rating system (numbers) are not same as engine oil so a 75 weight gear oil might not be any “heavier/thicker” (higher viscosity) than a 40 wt. engine oil. Also, most gear oils include nasty, smelly additives for use in “hypoid” gear sets that have high contact pressures AND sliding between the (almost always steel) gears.

TMI here: https://blog.demon-tweeks.com/motors...0engine%20oil.

But I sympathize with your request for some more specific information from the “experienced” forum members on what lubricants to use for the various moving parts in a VCR. Most of the service manuals specify some kind of special Sony or JVR unobtainable lubes so provide little guidance.

BW
05-13-2024, 10:01 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,479 Times in 2,108 Posts
I recently helped a member who made the mistake of buying a VCR from eBay.

The dumb seller squirted WD-40 into the VCR, to "lube it".

... and then fought the buyer's return! eBay had to step in. (And FYI, eBay customer service can be erratic, sadly even an obvious case like this can be settled in favor of the seller, because the eBay rep doesn't know anything about VCRs either. Remember, eBay is gambling, not buying. But quality gear in the marketplace.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-13-2024, 11:45 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW37 View Post
No. Don’t use a gear oil. The rating system (numbers) are not same as engine oil so a 75 weight gear oil might not be any “heavier/thicker” (higher viscosity) than a 40 wt. engine oil. Also, most gear oils include nasty, smelly additives for use in “hypoid” gear sets that have high contact pressures AND sliding between the (almost always steel) gears.

TMI here: https://blog.demon-tweeks.com/motors...0engine%20oil.

But I sympathize with your request for some more specific information from the “experienced” forum members on what lubricants to use for the various moving parts in a VCR. Most of the service manuals specify some kind of special Sony or JVR unobtainable lubes so provide little guidance.

BW
So non I shouldn't use any of automobile oils no matter what viscosity if I get you right ?

Do you suggest some kind of quality liquid oil and not standard machine oil because I know it evaporates fast on moving parts and I know it will evaporate fast in vcr too, and I don't want to service my vcr's that often

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I recently helped a member who made the mistake of buying a VCR from eBay.

The dumb seller squirted WD-40 into the VCR, to "lube it".

... and then fought the buyer's return! eBay had to step in. (And FYI, eBay customer service can be erratic, sadly even an obvious case like this can be settled in favor of the seller, because the eBay rep doesn't know anything about VCRs either. Remember, eBay is gambling, not buying. But quality gear in the marketplace.)
LOL WD40 that's dumb...I agree with you for people that don't know nothing about VCRs to buy from shops that offers good and serviced VCRs like VCRshop.

But also if you know how to service VCRs, replace caps, electronics and things like that, and If someone found a good deal, ask seller about condition to open VCR and take few photos. I don't see a problem buying from ebay, I bought few VCR's like that myself from ebay and fix them, and they are now in perfect shape, better than factory. So it kind of depends on skills that people who are buying have.

Last edited by Thermaltake; 05-13-2024 at 11:55 PM.
05-14-2024, 02:06 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,479 Times in 2,108 Posts
Quote:
But also if you know how to service VCRs, replace caps, electronics and things like that, and If someone found a good deal, ask seller about condition to open VCR and take few photos. I don't see a problem buying from ebay, I bought few VCR's like that myself from ebay and fix them, and they are now in perfect shape, better than factory. So it kind of depends on skills that people who are buying have.
And much respect to those who refurb the gear our community needs.

There's not many of us that have the skills, the knowledge, or take the time to do this task. It's often long, difficult, confusing, aggravating, etc.

And in more recent years, the "best part" is that certain low-knowledge vocal whiners denigrate the time we spend on it. "Just buy a VCR from a thrift store", complete with Easycaps, no TBCs, and they think it's "great quality".

This very minute, I'm actually toiling away at a refurb, the one-armed (one-wristed) wounded duck I am right now.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Thermaltake (05-14-2024)
05-14-2024, 02:14 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
And much respect to those who refurb the gear our community needs.

There's not many of us that have the skills, the knowledge, or take the time to do this task. It's often long, difficult, confusing, aggravating, etc.

And in more recent years, the "best part" is that certain low-knowledge vocal whiners denigrate the time we spend on it. "Just buy a VCR from a thrift store", complete with Easycaps, no TBCs, and they think it's "great quality".

This very minute, I'm actually toiling away at a refurb, the one-armed (one-wristed) wounded duck I am right now.
Haha, get well soon man

I get it, I don't have time either and among VCRs I'm also fixing laptops, PCs and other stuff too so this is just another thing on my back that I can't see hurt in my shelf so my goal is to fix it and to be in use. And among all that repair I also do a lot of PC stuff like optimization, networks... and music production, design, building and fixing bicyles. But it makes me happy what can I do