Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-03-2021, 11:15 AM
Free Member

Does anyone have IR codes for the JPTU94023B JIG remote control unit?

I recently found a DR-MH30 and was able to image the HDD in Linux before it failed (had several hundred SMART reallocated sectors and increasing with every hour of on time while I figured out a cloning method). The compressed image is around 9GB (HDD had only a few five minute videos) and I was able to clone a variety of PATA HDD, even SATA and SSD HDD's on a PATA adapter worked fine.

But the unit is in "JIG mode" enabled through the standard remote, while "cancel JIG mode" requires a Transmit "43-9D" to the main body by using JIG remote control unit. I'm calling around JVC service centers about that JIG remote but no luck so far, so IR codes would be the next best thing then figure out the transmitter hardware. One issue with being in JIG mode is the ON/OFF from the remote does not work, and there may be others, but the rest of the remote navigation functions appear to work fine.

A couple of useful JIG remote control codes apply to the DR-MH30 as shown in the service manual.
"43-9D" Cancel JIG mode.
"43-8B" Display/quit system info.
Other codes are related to firmware updates (unlikely to happen).

Also, if there is any interest in a HDD image then I have a 9GB compressed image file. There might be a way to shrink the file by deleing recorded video but that would probably take come very careful hex editing (I found any editing of the image file made the target clone HDD temperamental and the flashing "LOADING" would happen shortly after power-up).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf dr-mh30sus.pdf (827.3 KB, 7 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-03-2021, 03:34 PM
Free Member

Found this post and pressing REC and PAUSE together WORKED for my DR-MH30!

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/jvc...e-mode.758606/

Last edited by ATI_hobby; 02-03-2021 at 03:35 PM. Reason: added link
02-04-2021, 03:54 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,460 Times in 2,092 Posts
Yes, I wanted the 9gb image for archives, and to share on the site. We need that, if it works. I'd like to also pass that to jwillis, for his R&D into making LSI JVC work in IsoBuster.

I don't part with my JIG, but I never mind looking.

I'm really glad to see you found an answer to this -- and linked to it. So that didn't work for that poster, but worked for you? Odd. But a happy ending is a win, and wins are good.

DR-MH30 ... are you PAL?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-04-2021, 05:59 AM
Free Member

Side question: Since you have a PTU, would it be possible to share the remote code data for it? They are very hard to come by, and JVC annoyingly required them for all the service mode stuff on VCRs and DVD units, so it would be great to be able to use a universal remote that takes custom codes, like a JP1 or Pronto for it.

Also side thing, I got a DR-MH300 sitting around, so I could make a HDD image of it when I have time if it's useful.
02-04-2021, 06:54 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
Side question: Since you have a PTU, would it be possible to share
Always. However...

Quote:
the remote code data for it?
What does that mean, exactly?
Step by step, what to do here?

Quote:
so it would be great to be able to use a universal remote that takes custom codes, like a JP1 or Pronto for it.
Agreed. It took me at least 5+ years to track down the JIG. (I forget exactly when I started searching, and when I located it, but it was quite a few years. It may have been 7-8 years.)

Quote:
Also side thing, I got a DR-MH300 sitting around, so I could make a HDD image of it when I have time if it's useful.
Always. The real test, of course, is if the image can revive machines with bad/failed drives. I'm far more interested in SR-DVM600/700 (because I own a pair), but I'm all for archiving these MH30/300 on the site. (I don't think NTSC/USA ever got MH models.)

02-04-2021, 12:18 PM
Free Member

My DR-MH30 is NTSC with August 2004 manufacture date (GDA-4040B DVD drive is also August 2004). It's possible pressing REC and PAUSE together (on the main unit, not remote, and maybe that was a nuance missed by the linked poster) cancelled "JIG mode" by having some newer firmware feature after the Service Manual was printed. A JIG remote would be useful to display SYSTEM INFO to compare firmware versions when trying donor HDD images. I found a IR Protocols link with the PTU94023B remote listed but unsure what it means yet, whether there is enough info to make a working JIG remote.

https://github.com/crankyoldgit/IRre...edProtocols.md

I have a MX-600 remote control which should be able to capture JIG remote codes if I can get near one.

On the matter of HDD cloning, only the Linux 'dd' command worked to make a viable image file (used Ubuntu Live from CD, and some Linux commands learning curve). Stellar Phoenix worked to clone disk-to-disk in Windows but does not make an image file 'useful for cloning'. Other Windows methods such as HDD Raw Copy Tool came close and a cloned drive would pass the 50-second boot-up after unit plug-in, but navigating menus after power-up would result in a flashing "LOADING" and stay that way (unit wouldn't pass the 50-second plug-in boot test later without re-imaging the drive).

I also learned the built-in DVD drive can be swapped out 'while the unit is in standby'. The OEM GDA-4040B is a necessity to pass the 50-second boot-up after unit plug-in, but plugging in a retail GSA-4040B or GSA-4120B (5X DVD-RAM capability, also DL but probably not recognized) 'while the unit is in standby' work just fine (I used an external 5V/12V molex power connector and moved the IDE cable only). Tried flashing the GSA-4040B with the GDA drive core+main firmware using Devilsclaw's flasher but the unit would not boot, something in the EEPROM makes it a "GDA" drive.

Also tried reading HDD mpeg contents using Stellar Phoenix recovery software and got a bunch of .VOB files but most of the mpeg frames were garbled. Was also in contact with IsoBuster and their current DVR-capable software also doesn't support these JVC units (data not 'encrypted' but some 'extra data corruption' scheme that's not completely understood). So the built-in DVD drive is the only way to export videos from the DR-MH30 at this time and possible to swap out the built-in DVD drive while in standby. Since drive imaging worked on SATA and SSD drives it would be convenient to swap/unplug them into a Windows computer for video extraction.

-- merged --

Home Theater Master MX-600 & MX-500 learning remote controls on ebay are 15 dollars and up... would someone with a JVC JIG remote try one out for cloning and maybe make available on Marketplace? There may be other capable learning remotes out there, but I have a MX-600 and the great feature is that LCD can be customized so the 4-digits of the JVC JIG remote display can be duplicated! The owners manual isn't clear how long the memory will hold up after the batteries drain or are removed, but I pulled my MX-600 out of the attic after 10 years in storage and all my programming appears intact.

Also an update on my experiments with GSA-4040B and GSA-4120B DVD drives which are obtainable retail versions of the JVC OEM "GDA" models descried in the attached Service Bulletin. Where the built-in GDA-4040B burns a one-hour video (XP recording mode so nearly a full DVD) to DVD-RAM (Panasonic 2-3X media) in 25-minues in "high speed" dubbing mode... both the GSA-4040B and GSA-4120B burned the same video in 17-minutes, despite the JVC display showing it will take 25-minutes at the beginning! The displayed time to completion adjusted accordingly during the burn process. I flashed the retail GSA-4040B with latest firmware (A304) after the unsuccessful 50-second-plug-in-boot-to-standby with extracted JVC GDA-4040B firmware so apparently a firmware revision increased the initial 4040B release 2X DVD-RAM write speed, and the JVC becomes 'aware' taking advantage of the DVD write speed capability in high-speed dubbing mode even though the initial 25-minutes time to completion JVC display defaults to a 2X speed. The GSA-4120B was 5X DVD-RAM capable upon release and I have some 5X media on the way to see if the JVC high-speed dubbing will also be 'aware' of that speed. Anyway, this may be useful information for anyone with a hard drive JVC video recorder for improved high-speed dubbing time.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf JVC_yb-sb-00023-3_459.pdf (32.5 KB, 8 downloads)
02-05-2021, 01:23 AM
Site Staff | Video

Send me money to buy the needed remote, and I can try it.

But understand that I won't know what I'm doing. I need guidance, and don't have time to read a long manual. I've never done anything like this, I just use OEM remotes.

The file system used by LSI (thus these JVC) is TFS2. jwillis has posts on it here, and with some recent participation by others. I've my hope that one day it will be possible to remove the JVC LSI HDD, dump to computer, and save LOTS of time from burning DVD-RW. That's the only part of this recorder that sucks. Outstanding quality, but slow by modern transfer standards. (My Zoran RCA, for example, is a simple copy in IsoBuster now.)

Obligatory: BUY ISOBUSTER! Please support the author of the software. Get the "pro"/whatever version, for all of $35 or whatever it now costs.

02-05-2021, 03:17 AM
Free Member

One thing I learned with Stellar Phoenix video extraction is scanning is very slow (in addition to the .VOB files being garbled). In my case the disk has very little content where the higher sectors are unused, however, after the disk becomes fragmented then any length video can theoretically splash to the farthest sectors requiring a complete 160GB disk scan for proper extraction (unless the original JVC disk/file reading scheme is replicated). An IsoBuster DVR decoder experience may eventually prove to be similar-slow, so improving high-speed DVD-RAM dubbing from 2X to 3X (hopefully 5X soon) was pretty cool.

LS... maybe we can work something like I mail you the 9GB HDD image on Blu-ray, along with my MX-600 remote and instructions which buttons to press when sending IR from the JVC JIG remote for the MX-600 to learn? It would be helpful if I knew what 4-digit JIG remote codes are useful for other JVC equipment so I can set up the LCD and save you some time (my DR-MH30 has only one useful code "43-8B" Display/quit system info, now that I know how to quit "JIG mode" pressing REC and PAUSE together on the main unit). Any other codes could be useful if I decide to experiment with cobbling together a 'universal' JIG remote myself, or "teaching" additional MX-500/600 remotes to put up on marketplace (any thoughts on potential legal issues?). If that's OK then I can PM you after I find my MX-600 programming instructions and maybe you can come up with a list of useful JIG codes. I'm assuming the first two-digit JIG "Custom code" set at "43" (the device ID) is adequate for most uses where covering four devices makes for a lot of combinations.

Last edited by ATI_hobby; 02-05-2021 at 04:03 AM.
02-05-2021, 06:55 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Send me money to buy the needed remote, and I can try it.
There are some remotes that can learn codes, and with some pc or microcontroller-connected ir receiver it's possible to read out the IR data sent. Though, the site linked by ATi_Hobby looks like it may have the needed info to be able to add it to a programmable remote with pc connectivity. May look into it when I have time, I have a JP1 comatible remote that I've used as a pioneer service remote for dvrs, those had existing codes ready though, for the PTU codes here I would need to translate the code format to something I can export to the JP1. The linked project looks like some library to use some specific microcontroller development boards + an IR thingy as remotes so it would probably be a bit clunky to use directly. The source file links to another page with the protocol details.
02-05-2021, 12:48 PM
Free Member

The Home Theater Master MX-500 & MX-600 (maybe others) has 5-digit alphanumeric customizable LCD fields and looks like an ideal 'blank' for cloning a JIG remote, and the ebay price looks right. One issue is how accurately it will parrot back the "learned" JIG remote Ir beam. I found this IrScrutinizer and will try it out, looks powerful and user friendly, should be compatible with many Ir receivers and I have a few Windows MCE Ir remote USB receivers. This should be able to compare received Ir beams from the JVC JIG remote and a "learned" remote for accuracy, and maybe generate a useful file for posting after grabbing Ir beams from a JIG remote.

http://www.harctoolbox.org/IrScrutinizer.html

Will try it out when I have time, and maybe others can try... especially anyone with a JIG remote handy.
02-10-2021, 07:11 AM
Free Member

The JVC *does* recognize 5X DVD-RAM media with GSA-4120B and DRU-842A (this Sony was rumored to replace OEM drive, it didn't initialize however, but works after swapping IDE cable like the retail LG drives) DVD drives switched in after initialization and adjusts the high-speed dubbing time accordingly. The GSA-4040B writes at 3X max. A 4GB .VRO recorder file writes in 11 minutes at 5X, 17 minutes at 3X, and 25 minutes at 2X with the JVC built-in DVD drive. Reading the 2-3X DVD-RAM media (Panasonic) seems to be limited to 2X on all my computers, but the 5X (Maxell) media reads at full speed and also works with the JVC built-in DVD drive. I don't have any DVD-RW media to compare write speeds, and the JVC will not recognize DVD+RW with any of the DVD drives.

Someone looking to speed up exporting video from similar HDD JVC units (or for bypassing a failing OEM DVD drive) may find this info useful. A power switching scheme between built-in and external DVD drives should be possible with both drives on an IDE cable, switching to the external DVD burner after initialization.