Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-12-2022, 08:20 AM
Free Member

Hello everybody! I have recently seen this VCR on my local marketplace“s website. The seller says that everything is fine (including the audio), except for this large black strip on the bottom side of the picture. Is this a simple misalignment problem that can be fixed by opening the VCR and tweaking the guides or is this a worn out head?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (39.0 KB, 14 downloads)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (38.3 KB, 10 downloads)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (43.2 KB, 10 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-12-2022, 08:49 AM
Free Member

It's either misaligned tape guides, or the switching point is off.

I have almost the same model (NV-FJ621), and on that one the switching point was way off, so suspect the same is the issue here. Had to take of the drum motor, loosening the nut that secures the upper drum, and turn it a bit, and then faten the bolt, and reattach the drum motor to get it aligned(as the automatic service switching point adjustment will only adjust very slight offsets.) Don't remember which direction I had to move it right now. Even after doing that it has some issue with a small horizontal noise strip showing up on the image off and on which I haven't found the cause of.

Can't find the thread but someone else had the same head switch issue on a different panasonic on the forums and doing this sorted it.

SO yeah, unless you get it for really cheap or you like tinkering, it might be better to look for another one. The special feature on this one and other panasonics from the time is that it support PAL SLP/EP playback, though that was very rarely used. Otherwise it's a pretty average hi-fi vhs deck.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
06-12-2022, 02:03 PM
Free Member

I guess I will pass on this one. Thanks for replying and informing me btw!
06-12-2022, 03:38 PM
Free Member

As Hodgey say, it could be the head switch point, tape path alignment or both. I would like to add that too much tape tension or less tape tension exhibit similar behavior but not to that extent, Also if the cassette is not fully seated on the chassis and/or the lacing is not complete could cause similar behavior.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos