Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-04-2022, 10:30 AM
Free Member

SHARP VHS CAMCORDER MODEL VL-L250U won't power on.

I have a SHARP VHS CAMCORDER MODEL VL-L250U that I purchased new, in 1989.
I used it only a handful of times around when it was new and it always worked flawlessly.
It sat untouched, in its hard-shell storage case, in a closet for the past 25+ years and I dug it out to use again.
I can't get it to power on. I'm not using the rechargeable battery but, I'm using the original power-pack which plugs directly into the unit to power it without the battery. The power-pack has the proper output voltage. I replaced the small button cell memory battery but still nothing. It almost seems like the switch went bad. I've tried fiddling with the switch, (pressing it on & off in different ways, fast, slow, multiple times, repeatedly, holding it on for several seconds but, nothing). Sometimes, the red light on the switch that indicates that the unit is powered on, lights for a millisecond but, goes off instantly after it lights.
Anyone have an idea of what I can do to test or bypass the switch to troubleshoot it to either rule it out or identify it as the problem or, any other ideas of what to do to get it to work?
Thank you.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220709_131905.jpg (92.5 KB, 5 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220709_131921.jpg (89.0 KB, 4 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-04-2022, 10:41 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
The bigger question is this: why?
In terms of using it to transfer tapes to digital, it's boat anchor, do not use.
If for nostalgia, alright, understand. I've not sold out family camera for that same reason.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-05-2022, 07:00 AM
Free Member

Sounds like it might be momentary contact power switch and powering on relies on internal circuits that electronically latch on/off that are failing to latch on. That could be the result of a failed component (possibly capacitor) in the power on circuit, but that is just a guess.

In rare cases the problem components might self heal enough to power up is if power is left on to the unit for several hours, but do not count on it and monitor it for possible additional failure that could start a fire.

Google the make model and problem to see if anyone has reported/solved similar issues. A first step in DIY fix would be to obtain a factory service manual for the unit to better understand the turn on method. SAMS Technical Publications may offer it for sale as well as other sites where it can be D/L.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: Sarge (12-05-2022)
12-05-2022, 08:53 AM
Free Member

Thank you. I do have my eye out for a factory service manual. I'm trying to get this working for the least amount of money...hopefully, I'll be able to locate a factory service manual which I can download. Thank you, again!