Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-16-2023, 10:26 AM
Free Member

I recently purchased this player. I have the option to return it, or repair it. Is it an easy fix if it eats tapes?

I insert a tape, It loads, then tries to ejects, then gets stuck, and now F6 error on display.

Easy fix? Or send it back?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-16-2023, 03:50 PM
Free Member

Where did you buy it?
Is the problem with all tapes or just one specific tape?

How good and confident a VCR technician are you?
Do the rest of the VCR electronics, color circuits, etc work well, or is re-capping needed?
Or is all that unknown since you cannot load a tape to test it.

Per the FSM the F6 error translates to:
Mechanism locks after tape unloading in Elect mode.
1. Check the loading motor circuit
2. Check the mechanism phase alignment for cassette holder unit.

Questions arise such as what prompted the Eject mode? Maybe a failure to load properly? ( It may eject if it does not sense it is properly loaded within the specified time.) A cracked coupling on the loading motor shaft might be a simple fix - discussed in another AG-1980 thread - but that is but one of many possible issues..

The FSM provides further trouble shooting information. However unless you are an exceptionally well qualified technician with a good tool kit, plenty of time, and minimal money invested in the unit probably best to send it back for a refund asap.
06-17-2023, 08:12 AM
Free Member

Where did you buy it?
Ebay

Is the problem with all tapes or just one specific tape?
Didn't test other tapes. They left the tape inserted.

How good and confident a VCR technician are you?
I am somewhat mechanical. I do have some funds to get it fixed if needed, But I don't think there is anything around me that does repairs.

Do the rest of the VCR electronics, color circuits, etc work well, or is re-capping needed?
Or is all that unknown since you cannot load a tape to test it.
Unknown, It turns on. Display looked bright not dim. They said it was from an "estate sale".

Per the FSM the F6 error translates to:
Mechanism locks after tape unloading in Elect mode.
1. Check the loading motor circuit
2. Check the mechanism phase alignment for cassette holder unit.
I was able to get it unstuck, and eject the tape. I re-enserted it, and it did the same thing. Got stuck trying to read it, and F6 error. Wont eject on it's own.

Questions arise such as what prompted the Eject mode? Maybe a failure to load properly? ( It may eject if it does not sense it is properly loaded within the specified time.) A cracked coupling on the loading motor shaft might be a simple fix - discussed in another AG-1980 thread - but that is but one of many possible issues..

The FSM provides further trouble shooting information. However unless you are an exceptionally well qualified technician with a good tool kit, plenty of time, and minimal money invested in the unit probably best to send it back for a refund asap.

Paid 400$ for it, said tested/working. Obviously a lie when they left the tape inserted stuck lol. I am somewhat mechanical. Time is 50/50. Exceptionally good? Prob not..., decent as best.

I should return it then? I did buy another one yesterday again, "Tested, working" so will see.
I have thousands of tapes to digitize, and wanted to upgrade while having funds ready.
06-17-2023, 06:42 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Where did you buy it?
Ebay
And there hangs the tale. Ebay is a high risk source for video gear, especially VCRs. Estate sale implies it was in a pile of household goods such as dishes, toasters, & linens; not tested by a skilled technical who knew what they were doing - the panel lit so they declared victory. Lots of horror stories here with respect to ebay (and other auction house) purchases.

Based on your self assessment - I would sent it back for a full refund, note that when you received it a tape was stuck inside that would not eject (and sent it back with the same tape stuck in it - unless it is a valuable prerecorded tape).

ebay now allows a video clips to be with the listing. As a minimum there should be a clip showing operation with a VCR listing; e.g., TV behind the VCR and the clip should clearly show the tape load, play, and eject. Even then it is a risk, just not quite as high
06-18-2023, 06:27 AM
Free Member

Also, IMO test should itemized the tests performed/passed, and those not passed. And is considering an item, ask the seller what tests were performed/passed. No answer, or an incomplete or evasive asnwer would be a BIG RED FLAG.
06-18-2023, 07:45 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
This is exactly why I started to refurb gear in 2016, and sell it in the marketplace. Our only choices for gear were liars/idiots on eBay, and gear was failing at an alarming rate.

eBay is gambling, not buying.

You bought a typical junk deck, return it ASAP.

Also note that $400 is not what an actual functioning AG-1980 would cost. eBay = random conditions, random prices.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs